Puppy Pooping Inside

ineedsleep

We've done our best so far. At the moment we have a puppy pen, the Beagle's crate, the Laundry is now gated and also my parents live next door, with at least one of them home at a time and my partner and I have alternating shifts, maybe one or two hours on the odd day when neither of us is home.

We have a meeting with his puppy's breeder before hand to discuss the best ways to introduce and separate etc. Have we missed something major?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've done our best so far. At the moment we have a puppy pen, the Beagle's crate, the Laundry is now gated and also my parents live next door, with at least one of them home at a time and my partner and I have alternating shifts, maybe one or two hours on the odd day when neither of us is home.

We have a meeting with his puppy's breeder before hand to discuss the best ways to introduce and separate etc. Have we missed something major?

I think the major risk here is to your Beagle pup. She's going to be dwarfed by the GSD who will be a typically mouthy bub and who may well view her as an animated squeaky toy - and she won't have the strength or age to equip her to deter it.

You are going to have to actively manage them all the time they are together or her life could be a living hell. Without your intervention to keep interactions from overwhelming her you may end up with a totally submissive and fearful Beagle pup or one who has to resort to quite serious aggression to deter the bigger pup. If the GSD is the dominant pup, your baby Beagle may end up avoiding you due to the actions of the GSD. The risk of injury to the Beagle from such unmatched playmates is also there.

Provided you are up to constant supervision or separation, that risk won't occur. But there's no way I'd have taken on such mismatched pups at the same time. You have months of work ahead of you. If you bought them as companions for one another, that won't be possible for quite some time.

Edited by Telida Whippets

So it has been five days since we bought Odin (GSD) home and it has been a wonderful five days! They have gotten on like a house on fire.

He was toilet trained from the word go which transcended onto Abby (Beagle). Abby was very excitable the first few days, but as Odin has become more comfortable they are both into a routine and are inseparable.

We've come to the conclusion that having both puppies has actually been easier than dealing with just Abby... It may be because we are more aware of what to expect, I'm not sure. But we are both satisfied with our decision to have these puppies in our lives at this time :)