Puppy Pooping Inside

ineedsleep

6-7 x per day sounds a little excessive to me. Try a food with less grain and see if that helps.

BTW I think you are smart getting two pups, there might be a bit of pain now but they will be happier in the long run as they will never be lonely. I have a one year old Keeshond Bear and we just got Duke an 8 week golden cocker spaniel and I wish I had got them at the same time, would have made life much easier!

Are you serious? Apart from the fact that it means double the time, double the mess, double the commitment, double the costs and double the work (probably even more so when it comes to training), two puppies are very likely to bond more strongly with each other than the handler, that in itself is a major problem.

Be glad you waited a year, your 12 month old hasn't even matured yet!

True we do have a wonderful bond with Bear which I hope will never be broken. I just felt sorry for him as he had a year of being alone while we were at work. But I'm sure the games and antics they will get up to in the future will make up for it :angeldevil:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-7 x per day sounds a little excessive to me. Try a food with less grain and see if that helps.

BTW I think you are smart getting two pups, there might be a bit of pain now but they will be happier in the long run as they will never be lonely. I have a one year old Keeshond Bear and we just got Duke an 8 week golden cocker spaniel and I wish I had got them at the same time, would have made life much easier!

Are you serious? Apart from the fact that it means double the time, double the mess, double the commitment, double the costs and double the work (probably even more so when it comes to training), two puppies are very likely to bond more strongly with each other than the handler, that in itself is a major problem.

You might say double everything, but I would not have got two if I didnt think I could do everything I need to. I am home all the time with the puppies, take time out to spend with each of them seperately and apart from the problem we had with the little girl I couldnt be happier. Dedication is required and dedication is what they will get. I am grateful that there are some people out there that understand that in gettin two together that they will grow up together and be there for one another when I am not here with them all day.

True we do have a wonderful bond with Bear which I hope will never be broken. I just felt sorry for him as he had a year of being alone while we were at work. But I'm sure the games and antics they will get up to in the future will make up for it :angeldevil:

Thank you for commenting on getting the two puppies together, I have all this negative feed back from people not only on this site but others who say I have lost my marbles, I am an older person who does not have anything apart from the usual housework to do, partner is away through the week, these pups are my liferaft, keeping me sane.

I didn't say raising two pups is impossible, but it is much more challenging than most people realise.

Either way I was responding to Bear&Dukes post - getting two pups at the same time does not not 'make life easier'. My dogs are here for me, not to keep each other company :shrug:

It's not usually a good idea to get 2 pups together, they still need separate time & training with you. Don't be fooled about them being lonely while your at work, they mostly sleep the day away.

I would recommend you change food (gradually). Some people have found Science Diet not to be the best for their dog. You could try Nutro, Royal Canin or Canidae- people seem to have good things to say about those brands.

You could also try a DAP collar (adaptil) if you think it is stress related.

Keep up with taking her out regularly

I think getting 2 puppies is fine if you have the time- which it sounds like you do (lucky you!).

I know quite a few siblings from the same litter or raised as pups and they have all turned out to be lovely pets. Hope you can find a solution to this yucky problem with your girl!

When i bought my CKCS home at 9 weeks old i started toilet training her the very next day... what i did was i made a game of it, i have a sliding door to the backyard and every 30 minutes i would show her by opening the door, and when she walked outside i would praise her even if she didnt do anything... it worked for me as she has been house trained from 9 weeks of age :)

It's not usually a good idea to get 2 pups together, they still need separate time & training with you. Don't be fooled about them being lonely while your at work, they mostly sleep the day away.

Umm some puppies and dogs do.

Some entertain themselves by barking excessively, digging up the yard or irrigation, ripping up trees and shrubs and bedding etc.

There is no way my dog would cope with being alone for normal working hours. She never sleeps during the day and is a massive busy body, who would find her own fun if it wasn't provided for her.

If we're away longer than 4 hours during the day we have to get a dog walker for her.

Luckily someone is usually home or else I am able to take her to work with me.

I would recommend you change food (gradually). Some people have found Science Diet not to be the best for their dog. You could try Nutro, Royal Canin or Canidae- people seem to have good things to say about those brands.

You could also try a DAP collar (adaptil) if you think it is stress related.

Keep up with taking her out regularly

I think getting 2 puppies is fine if you have the time- which it sounds like you do (lucky you!).

I know quite a few siblings from the same litter or raised as pups and they have all turned out to be lovely pets. Hope you can find a solution to this yucky problem with your girl!

Thanks I was going to start with Eukanbua (spelling???), that what the clinic I worked in always used and never had any problems. We have been going well today, play time and rewards after going outside and no yucky things today. Overnight was good as well, not one drama, I have also changed their feeding patterns and this seems to have helped even though it is the first day I think I am on a winner. Lets hope.

To all who have posted have a great xmas and I will update with progress.

Eukanuba is good but can have a higher grain content than some of the other brands I previously stated. Having said that, its about the individual dog and what works best for them. I don't think there is any one food out there that is the best for every dog. It may take some trial and error to find the best food for your pup.

My dog is on eukanuba fish and potato (she has allergies) and I have found it good for her, although being a labrador, she does have something of an iron gut and eats all kind of crap anyway :laugh:

Thank you for commenting on getting the two puppies together, I have all this negative feed back from people not only on this site but others who say I have lost my marbles, I am an older person who does not have anything apart from the usual housework to do, partner is away through the week, these pups are my liferaft, keeping me sane.

Don't worry, i have two pups of the same age as well. Well, there a month apart. I know everyone goes on and on about how horrible it is, but i have had no problems at all. Both my pups are bonded to me and each other, behave almost perfectly and are happily toilet trained. Yes it is double the work but i have the time, energy and effort needed to care for double trouble. I am also happy because they have each other to play with, and sleep with, and not have to be segregated from the bigger dogs until they are old enough to play with them. Our two boys were a year apart, and we even had a small injury from the older one playing to rough with the new pup.

As for your initial problem about the toilet training, i have crate trained mine, and at 5 months i have had no accidents inside the house, or the crate. In the beginning i would take them out half an hour after every meal, whenever they woke up, and after a long play session. I think that EVERY half an hour is a bit excessive, but i can only speak from my own experience. After a few weeks they would both sit at the gate and let me know when they needed to go out, and still do to this day. I know you said she had access to the yard at all times, maybe that might be the problem. Maybe for a week or so limit her access to the yard to when you are taking her out to the toilet that way she associates the backyard with toileting, and not with playing. The whole crate theory is based on the fact that dogs will not go in thier home/area. My pups won't even go in thier play run, so maybe they see the yard as part of thier space as well. I don't know if it will help, its just a thought, hope all goes well. And don't let anyone make you think your crazy. As long as your pups are healthy, happy, and well cared for and recieve all the love, attention and veterinary care they require, and your not going round the bend, i don't care how many dogs you have of the same age!

Umm some puppies and dogs do.

Some entertain themselves by barking excessively, digging up the yard or irrigation, ripping up trees and shrubs and bedding etc.

There is no way my dog would cope with being alone for normal working hours. She never sleeps during the day and is a massive busy body, who would find her own fun if it wasn't provided for her.

If we're away longer than 4 hours during the day we have to get a dog walker for her.

Luckily someone is usually home or else I am able to take her to work with me.

My pups and dogs (all six of them) sleep the day away!!! They make such a fuss when we leave, and we were concerned that they were frantic the whole time we weren't at home. We put up some cameras, just out of interest, and found that the second the car pulls out of the driveway they all relax, and then sleep away, occassionally getting up to have a drink of water, or go to the toilet, but even that was pretty rare. It must be hard for you to have an anxious dog that you know isn't particularly happy at home alone, i was stressing over my lot until the cameras, i couldn't imagine how hard it would be to have to have someone at home everytime i had to go out - or if i didn't i would be stressing out wondering what they were doing, if they were hurting themselves, etc. Lucky You - you can take her to work! Wish all workplaces were so progressive! Or if you had two dogs the same age that had grown up with each other, maybe they could keep each other company while you were out, they could play the day away without being destructive.

Edited by mandimoore

Don't worry, i have two pups of the same age as well. Well, there a month apart. I know everyone goes on and on about how horrible it is, but i have had no problems at all. Both my pups are bonded to me and each other, behave almost perfectly and are happily toilet trained. Yes it is double the work but i have the time, energy and effort needed to care for double trouble. I am also happy because they have each other to play with, and sleep with, and not have to be segregated from the bigger dogs until they are old enough to play with them. Our two boys were a year apart, and we even had a small injury from the older one playing to rough with the new pup.

As for your initial problem about the toilet training, i have crate trained mine, and at 5 months i have had no accidents inside the house, or the crate. In the beginning i would take them out half an hour after every meal, whenever they woke up, and after a long play session. I think that EVERY half an hour is a bit excessive, but i can only speak from my own experience. After a few weeks they would both sit at the gate and let me know when they needed to go out, and still do to this day. I know you said she had access to the yard at all times, maybe that might be the problem. Maybe for a week or so limit her access to the yard to when you are taking her out to the toilet that way she associates the backyard with toileting, and not with playing. The whole crate theory is based on the fact that dogs will not go in thier home/area. My pups won't even go in thier play run, so maybe they see the yard as part of thier space as well. I don't know if it will help, its just a thought, hope all goes well. And don't let anyone make you think your crazy. As long as your pups are healthy, happy, and well cared for and recieve all the love, attention and veterinary care they require, and your not going round the bend, i don't care how many dogs you have of the same age!

Our thinking is the same, the pups are bonding with each other and also myself. We have had a great night last night and today with more training and no accidents inside the only drama has been the heat, but with ice packs, lots of water to drink and play in issue dealt with. I dont think i could give any two animals more love than these two get, someone told me today i'm like a new mum with twins and you know thats exactly how it feels. So thank you I dont feel crazy just blessed that I have been able to get two great puppies who put a smile on my face every day I wake to see them.

I found my new pup was doing the same, as soon as he was inside he would relieve himself... he didn't have any grass at our old house, only rocks and dirt and cement. So I banned the dogs from coming inside longer than 10 mins, once they had a pat and cuddle back outside, once I found him pooing on our cement we moved it to the dirt. This worked well and now we have moved house both our dogs have grass and only 1 piddle inside since. I don't trust dogs inside unless they are in the room with us asleep under the bed Haha!

• 1 month later...

My 11 week old Beagle is getting there with the wee's but her pooing inside is a bit all over the place.

We successfully used wee pads and she rarely does any huge wee's inside. But she never took to pooing on them. She will however go and poo behind 'her' bushes in the garden, on command, afar each meal and waking up. But the odd occasion she sniff, squat and let it out within two seconds.

Our lounge is set up so we can isolate her in there with us, and we can see and hear every move she makes, she just moves too fast. And when we do realise what she has done, we are conscious of how we react because we know if we cause too much of a fuss or sound angry she will become anxious.

Is it just one of those things that my partner and I should stick with and be patient with?

I think that learning your pups pooping patterns might help so that you can make sure that she's in the right place at the right time.

Puppies usually poop when they first wake up, shortly after eating and sometimes after a vigorous play session. I guess it's different for every dog so watching and even making a note of the times your pup goes will help. Your pup will get there eventually :)

At least you have wees under control (and there are a lot more of those!).

We had two pups together (a gsd and a cattledog) 7.5 years ago and I swore blind that I would NEVER AGAIN have two pups together. Well they do say that time heals all wounds, (or perhaps as I grow older the pain has become fuzzier), because as of Friday just gone we have two new puppies :laugh:

We are going great guns with toilet training so far (but I'm not getting too excited, it's only been a few days) and I am finding it very helpful to use word association - "Go Toilet" each and every time they go - we trained our older dogs to toilet on command with "do the business" and are endeavouring to do the same with the pups, but using "Go toilet" for the pups so we don't send the big dogs outside while the pups are in their pen and they hear the command and toilet in the pen.

I think it works two-fold; it means you are training them for future toileting on command which can be very helpful, and it is also my opinion that the word association is helping with the training; once the brain has started to associate the word with the action, saying the word triggers the urge to toilet. Every time I take them outside I start repeating "go toilet" like a crazy lady and when they relieve themselves "Good Go Toilet" in a high squeaky voice and heaps of pats.

For what it's worth I don't believe two pups together grow a stronger bond with each other than with you, the two dogs I raised together last time love me far more than each other - they slept together as pups, but only really tolerate each other now.

Her toileting has improved two fold. No wee's inside UNLESS she is excited and its a little dribble.

Her poo's are saved for wake up and bed time and sometimes midnight. But so far so good. I've just used the word "Wee's" and she goes in the same garden area each time, then she walks around into her "poo bush".

We have to keep reminding ourselves it will all start again in two and half days time when the partners GSD comes. But the breeder is partially toilet training him....

Her toileting has improved two fold. No wee's inside UNLESS she is excited and its a little dribble.

Her poo's are saved for wake up and bed time and sometimes midnight. But so far so good. I've just used the word "Wee's" and she goes in the same garden area each time, then she walks around into her "poo bush".

We have to keep reminding ourselves it will all start again in two and half days time when the partners GSD comes. But the breeder is partially toilet training him....

An 11 week old Beagle and a baby GSD. You've got your work cut out for you. Hope you've got the capacity to separate them when you aren't home.