Dog Behaviourists That Are Ok With Prong Collars

Hi

I'm looking for a behaviourist/ trainer in far north qld that is ok with the use of prong collars. I have 2 dogs that won't listen to corrections with either a check chain or a halti and I have heard good reports about prong collars but as I haven't used one I am looking at seeing a trainer to sort out the issues.

Best to select a behaviourist on merit rather than which tools they are "ok with". A halti is used for response prevention, not correction. If you have two dogs who won't respond to check chain corrections then I'd be looking at your timing and criteria first, and far more importantly, your use of rewards, before I would think about anything else.

If no one is able to recommend a behaviourist in Fnq then k9pro do a distance learning package which may suit you.

Best to select a behaviourist on merit rather than which tools they are "ok with". A halti is used for response prevention, not correction. If you have two dogs who won't respond to check chain corrections then I'd be looking at your timing and criteria first, and far more importantly, your use of rewards, before I would think about anything else.

If no one is able to recommend a behaviourist in Fnq then k9pro do a distance learning package which may suit you.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I have wondered how you select a behaviourist on merit? Most present their services as being good as they would, but it's not until you have hired them and spent the money to see how good they are at dealing with your problem and sorting it out? Is there any general guide for this?

Seems a bit weird to say you want the behaviourist to use a prong collar. Are you going to tell the behaviourist how to train your dog? Or are you getting a behaviourist in because you don't actually know how to deal with the problem?

I don't get that, we get people who contact us for website design and logo design, and then proceed to just tell us how to design their website/logo, as if they know better than us what looks good. Same thing. Weird.

I didn't say I want the behaviourist to use a prong collar. I said "I'm looking for a behaviourist/ trainer in far north qld that is ok with the use of prong collars" I would never try to tell any trainer(or anyone else) how to do their job that's why i need to employ them. Plus I cope with that with my job everyday.

I am not sure how to deal with the behaviours of my dogs which is why I am looking, because the one behaviourist I have dealt with recommends the halti as an aid but I have found that it hasn't worked for one of the dogs in particular. I have heard of good things about the prong collar and i was hoping to find a behaviourist who doesn't rule out the use of the prong collar.

I am trying to do the best thing for my dogs that doesn't hurt them which the current recommendation seems to be which is why I am looking for another option. My timing might be off with corrections but without a trainer it is harder to know what i am doing wrong.

If i am wrong to ask about trainers who would feel ok training with prong collars I'm sorry and I won't ask for advice again (I also understand why people only ask unusual questions once). I was just looking for advice if DOL had any to give, thank you to those with suggestions I will be looking into my options again.

Edited for readability

Edited by dwilds

It's good that you are looking at things which may work :)

Hopefully, with a decent trainer, and some personal help in understanding what is happening, and why .. you will not need much more than a flat or a chain collar, and some toned and timed response times, coupled with a good reward system :)

Hope you find someone who can help .

Edited by persephone

I am not sure how to deal with the behaviours of my dogs which is why I am looking because the one behaviourist I have dealt with recommends the halti as an aid but I have found that it hasn't worked for one of the dogs in particular. I have heard of good things about the prong collar and i was hoping to find a behaviourist who doesn't rule out the use of the prong collar. I would never try to tell any trainer(or anyone else) how to do their job thats why i need to employ them. Plus I cope with that with my job everyday. I am trying to do the best thing for my dogs that doesn't hurt them. My timing might be off with corrections but without a trainer it is harder to know what i am doing wrong. If i am wrong to ask about trainers who would feel ok training with prong collars I'm sorry and I won't ask again. I was just looking for advice if DOL had any to give, thank you to those with suggestions.

I understand why your asking. What I hear is that you have done some of your own research due to the probs you are having, heard prong collars may assist with your problem and you are wanting to seek advice so to look for one that is open to prong collars is what I would do. I have one for my GSD. Never had to use one with the other 2 we have had. Check chains and halties did the trick but our little miss has no respect for them. I had a friend who trains dogs and was open to it and we went thru all the collars and slowly got to the prong collar. Some of it is my own technique with this one. Sorry I can't help you locate someone in your area. Just wanted to add my support that you are trying to work your way through the problem and find a behaviourist that can help you work thru the problem whether that is a prong collar or the other collars available and some technique... All the best in finding one.

Edited by best4koda

I didn't say I want the behaviourist to use a prong collar. I said "I'm looking for a behaviourist/ trainer in far north qld that is ok with the use of prong collars" I would never try to tell any trainer(or anyone else) how to do their job that's why i need to employ them. Plus I cope with that with my job everyday.

I am not sure how to deal with the behaviours of my dogs which is why I am looking, because the one behaviourist I have dealt with recommends the halti as an aid but I have found that it hasn't worked for one of the dogs in particular. I have heard of good things about the prong collar and i was hoping to find a behaviourist who doesn't rule out the use of the prong collar.

I am trying to do the best thing for my dogs that doesn't hurt them which the current recommendation seems to be which is why I am looking for another option. My timing might be off with corrections but without a trainer it is harder to know what i am doing wrong.

If i am wrong to ask about trainers who would feel ok training with prong collars I'm sorry and I won't ask for advice again (I also understand why people only ask unusual questions once). I was just looking for advice if DOL had any to give, thank you to those with suggestions I will be looking into my options again.

Edited for readability

Why should the OP need to apologise for asking about trainers/behaviourists who will use a prong when required? It's a fair question given that there are some out there who do limit their tool usage for the wrong reasons and the dogs and their owners suffer because of their extremist protocols on the subject.

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if Jane Harper comes to Brisbane Southside?

I am quite sure she does all of Brissy GG :)

Ta, thinking about getting her out to assess the new addition... There is a bit of tension between him and Tess and id rather nip it in the bud early

Why should the OP need to apologise for asking about trainers/behaviourists who will use a prong when required? .

Noone asked the op to apologise. Fair suggestions were made and two behaviourists (both who will use prong collars where they feel appropriate) were suggested.

My response was mainly directed at fuzzy82 I also did thank the people who had given suggestions. I have been in contact with a couple of the local behaviourists today and will see what happens.

Thanks to everyone that has offered suggestions I will take them on board

Why should the OP need to apologise for asking about trainers/behaviourists who will use a prong when required? .

Noone asked the op to apologise. Fair suggestions were made and two behaviourists (both who will use prong collars where they feel appropriate) were suggested.

If i am wrong to ask about trainers who would feel ok training with prong collars I'm sorry and I won't ask for advice again

The OP did apologise Adian (see above) and my point is why should they feel the need to, it was a fair question?

Edited by mace