Camping With Dogs

jaybeece

Just wondering if anyone can recommend some nice, quiet areas to camp that are dog friendly? I'm not so interested in actual camp sites as le mutt isn't always dog friendly so somewhere quiet without other dogs is ideal. Just somewhere nice where we can both kick back and enjoy the peace, preferably near a nice beach.

I've been thinking around Lakes Entrance in Victoria, but other coastal recommendations within 4-5 hours of Melbourne are welcome :)

My workmate just came back from 4 days camping at Lakes. She took her dog and said she"d never take her again. No dogs are allowed on any beaches from Sept to April, not even on leash or in the evenings. She said they were pretty much confined to their tent and the foreshore area.

Try Woodside, the beach is dog friendly all year and its close to Yarram if you need supplies.

Edited by Gayle.

My workmate just came back from 4 days camping at Lakes. She took her dog and said she"d never take her again. No dogs are allowed on any beaches from Sept to April, not even on leash or in the evenings. She said they were pretty much confined to their tent and the foreshore area.

Try Woodside, the beach is dog friendly all year and its close to Yarram if you need supplies.

Wow, how dissapointing that they can't even go down at night :mad I thought most beaches in Vic were ok with dogs early morning/evening during summer months. I've been thinking I might try to buy a little house down there some day but if they're that restrictive with dogs then maybe not. Sucks for your friend too!

Also, if you're happy with a river location rather than a beach, there is a gorgeous place called Paradise Valley, near Heyfield. Not sure about dogs but you could always ring and ask. The place is huge and absolutely stunning, very peaceful too.

http://www.heyfield.net/pages/paradise/paradise.htm

Thanks Gayle, I'll check it out! Beach is preferable, but I'm not fussy really and that sounds really good.

Im going to Portland, VIC soon :) Have also been to Big River near Eildon.

There is a book called camping with dogs that is awesome and has heaps of camping sites that allow dogs :)

Oooh awesome thanks, I'll have a hunt for it :)

jaybeece, I would highly recommend Lakes Entrance in the off-season. We camped at a caravan park (with an ensuite camping site) right near the beach in June or July and it was fabulous. Dogs ran on the beach every day, sometimes we walked along the beach into town and there was hardly anyone at the caravan park. The beach walks and day trips to Metung and surrounds were fabulous. We also went to Bright the week before school holidays started just before Christmas - just about had the town to ourselves :D

I went to swan reach shows in september and made a couple of trips into Lakes Entrance with my aussie, and found it very dog freindly. Numerous people stopped to talk to him, ask about him. Made a pleasant change to experiences in some beach areas on the peninsula where people make it clear they dont think the dog should be on the beach despite being there in the designated hours. Dogs were on the beach at Lakes, cant say i noticed anything to say they couldnt, and i found this to be the best town i have been to with regards to doggy clean up bins etc.

Here is some info I found on a website:

In the Gippsland Lakes Costal Park, dogs are only permitted (on a leash at all times) at the following locations: Barrier Landing, Ocean Grange, Paradise Beach, Loch Sport Causeway, The Wreck, Flamingo Beach, The Honeysuckles and between camp sites one to six on Shoreline Drive at Golden Beach.

Dogs are not permitted in other areas of the park nor between camp sites seven to twenty along Shoreline Drive, Golden Beach.

http://www.lakesentrance.com/national-parks/gippsland-lakes-coastal-park.html

You might be able to find some accommodation around those areas where dogs can be on the beach, but in Lakes Entrance itself, they definitely aren't allowed on the beach at the moment (or for the rest of the summer). My friend was really disappointed, and they also couldn't take her out for dinner as dogs were also not permitted at outdoor eating venues. And it was too hot to leave her in the car.

We took our dogs holidaying at Paradise Beach (Part of 90 mile beach) in the last week of January last year and they ran on the beach every morning and evening mostly off leash as long as we had the beach to ourselves (which was most of the time). We stayed in a pet friendly house. Only drawback was the mosquitos - which were dynamite down there last year.

If you go on google and put in camping with dogs in Victoria - you will get info on camping places and also camping facilities in some of the National Parks which may suit you (they might not be as popular with general public as the tourist areas).

I went to swan reach shows in september and made a couple of trips into Lakes Entrance with my aussie, and found it very dog freindly. Numerous people stopped to talk to him, ask about him. Made a pleasant change to experiences in some beach areas on the peninsula where people make it clear they dont think the dog should be on the beach despite being there in the designated hours. Dogs were on the beach at Lakes, cant say i noticed anything to say they couldnt, and i found this to be the best town i have been to with regards to doggy clean up bins etc.

I wonder if it's changed recently then. Although I can't imagine dogs being allowed on the beaches in summer, it's packed there especially over Xmas New Year. I was sure my friend said Sept to April, but maybe she said Nov to April. Whatever, she only came back from there yesterday so her info is definitely current.

Pity because there are loads of dog friendly places to stay down there.

If you go on google and put in camping with dogs in Victoria - you will get info on camping places and also camping facilities in some of the National Parks which may suit you (they might not be as popular with general public as the tourist areas).

I would check with Parks Victoria before heading off to a National park. If I recall correctly, dogs are not allowed in National Parks, but are allowed in some State Parks, Regional Parks and Coastal Parks (I'm not sure of the differences between them).

Another gorgeous place that is dog friendly, but may be a little closer to Melbourne than you'd like, is Toorongo Falls reserve. I took some Melbourne friends there recently for a photo shoot and they was absolutely blown away by the sheer beauty of the place and were amazed that they'd never heard of it before. And they were making noises about going back there camping.

It's not coastal, it's past Neerim South (turn off at Warragul), and it's ferny rainforest with mossy rocks, waterfalls and beautiful cool green scenery. We did a photo shoot with dogs, and they are definitely allowed on lead. We didn't go up to the waterfalls as we had 9 dogs with us, so it would have been a bit tricky, but the walks up to them are nice, and you're fit.

Some samples of the scenery, complete with doggy models:

nt8.jpg

nt19_edited-1.jpg

ntl5.jpg

ntl3.jpg

Edited by Gayle.

If you're happy with bush and a river beach, head up to Burke's Bend up on the Murray near Yarrawonga. We always take dogs up. Sometimes it's busy often you don't see too many people, but even when it's busy there's a few camp sites so you can get some space. But it's real bush camping, 1 beach has a pit toilet but that's it you need to take everything in and out with you.

Information as per google

Parks Victoria – Do Allow Dogs To Go Camping In National Parks With You

You are welcome to subscribe to my RSS Feed. Thanks for visiting!

I have read many times that dogs are banned from all National Parks. Parks Victoria does welcome you to take your dog camping, in these selected Parks listed below.

Parks Victoria also encourages you to walk your dog in many of the parks in Victoria.

This book Walking Your Dog In Victoria’s Parks is in PDF format. You are welcome to read, save or print it.

The parks listed below allow you to take your dog camping with you:

Lerderderg State Park – except Mackenzies Creek Picnic area or Grahams Dam Track

Upper Yarra Reservoir Park – not the forested track

Cape Conran Coastal Park – only campsites 56-110

Kurth Kiln Regional Park

Lake Eildon National Park – Jersusalem Creek camping only

Great Otway National Park - part of Johanna Beach only

Murray Kulkyne Park

Kooyoora State Park

Lake Albacutya Regional Park

Enfield State Park

Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park – Paradise Beach camping area and campsites 1-6 along Shoreline Drive at Golden Beach only

Please check with Parks Victoria before you go camping to make sure your dog is still permitted as the rules may be changed. Parks Victoria

Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park – Paradise Beach camping area and campsites 1-6 along Shoreline Drive at Golden Beach only

I know there were dogs there last year at the end of January as we were there on holiday for a week.

Also noticed there were lots of dogs on the beach at Seaspray on our daytrip there.

I go to Golden Beach on the 90 mile beach shore a few times a year. A couple of times over christmas and January/Feb and again at Easter.

Paradise beach has an RV park, where you can stay for 72 hours which has toilets and showers and a little camp kitchen. It's dog friendly. Dogs are supposed to be on the lead, but as long as your dog is under control the ranger is OK.

Golden Beach, camp sites marked 1 to 6 are designated for dog camping. There are drop toilets at C1, C3 and I think C5 now. There are no showers or other facilites. In peak times, you can still find a space, but out of peak times, it's almost dead. I've been there a few times and had the entire campsite and beach completely to myself for days on end.

Insect repellent is a must. Both for you and for your dog. Apart from that, it's awesome. I spent Christmas down there with my two and we all had a ball. There were only three sets of campers in our site. which meant that we all had our own space and privacy. You had to walk 50 metres or more to the next campsite.

Take your own water if you camp at Golden beach, as there are no taps in town to fill up from. I had to grab some from the service station in Sale when I went in for a day trip for something else, as I couldn't find a tap anywhere. I think the locals are wise to people knicking there water.... :)

For me, Golden beach is brilliant. Very few people, endless beach to walk and explore. Interesting stuff to see. There are some wrecks a few klms walk down the beach. From the late 1800's I believe. The Trinculo is one I remember. An iron hulled ship which ran aground there in about 1882. Amazing that it's still there and still clearly visible.

jaybeece, I would highly recommend Lakes Entrance in the off-season. We camped at a caravan park (with an ensuite camping site) right near the beach in June or July and it was fabulous. Dogs ran on the beach every day, sometimes we walked along the beach into town and there was hardly anyone at the caravan park. The beach walks and day trips to Metung and surrounds were fabulous. We also went to Bright the week before school holidays started just before Christmas - just about had the town to ourselves :D

Sounds great! I'm a bit of a sook about the cold, but will have time off between semesters in winter so heading down that way could be a good option.

We took our dogs holidaying at Paradise Beach (Part of 90 mile beach) in the last week of January last year and they ran on the beach every morning and evening mostly off leash as long as we had the beach to ourselves (which was most of the time). We stayed in a pet friendly house. Only drawback was the mosquitos - which were dynamite down there last year.

Yeah I spent time down on the 90 mile beach for school camps and there were actual clouds of mozzies! They were shocking, but it's so bloody beautiful it's worth it.

I've done a lot of googling, but there's so much information it's hard to tell what's ACTUALLY good for dogs. I'm after personal recommendations.

Another gorgeous place that is dog friendly, but may be a little closer to Melbourne than you'd like, is Toorongo Falls reserve.

Wow, that is just beautiful! I'm only looking further from Melb to find quiet places, if it's not far then great! Thanks for the photos too, the dogs are adorable :)

If you're happy with bush and a river beach, head up to Burke's Bend up on the Murray near Yarrawonga. We always take dogs up. Sometimes it's busy often you don't see too many people, but even when it's busy there's a few camp sites so you can get some space. But it's real bush camping, 1 beach has a pit toilet but that's it you need to take everything in and out with you.

Don't mind bush camping at all, will check it out :)

Not so much camping, but my brother has a holiday cabin place out that way near Bairnsdale - close to Lakes Entrance. It's dog friendly and good rates, I am a tad biased but we visit often and it is bliss. :)

http://www.parkvaleholidaycabins.com.au/

Oooh looks nice but SO out of my price range!

I go to Golden Beach on the 90 mile beach shore a few times a year. A couple of times over christmas and January/Feb and again at Easter.

Paradise beach has an RV park, where you can stay for 72 hours which has toilets and showers and a little camp kitchen. It's dog friendly. Dogs are supposed to be on the lead, but as long as your dog is under control the ranger is OK.

Golden Beach, camp sites marked 1 to 6 are designated for dog camping. There are drop toilets at C1, C3 and I think C5 now. There are no showers or other facilites. In peak times, you can still find a space, but out of peak times, it's almost dead. I've been there a few times and had the entire campsite and beach completely to myself for days on end.

Insect repellent is a must. Both for you and for your dog. Apart from that, it's awesome. I spent Christmas down there with my two and we all had a ball. There were only three sets of campers in our site. which meant that we all had our own space and privacy. You had to walk 50 metres or more to the next campsite.

Take your own water if you camp at Golden beach, as there are no taps in town to fill up from. I had to grab some from the service station in Sale when I went in for a day trip for something else, as I couldn't find a tap anywhere. I think the locals are wise to people knicking there water.... :)

For me, Golden beach is brilliant. Very few people, endless beach to walk and explore. Interesting stuff to see. There are some wrecks a few klms walk down the beach. From the late 1800's I believe. The Trinculo is one I remember. An iron hulled ship which ran aground there in about 1882. Amazing that it's still there and still clearly visible.

Thanks!