Bark Training

Hi Guys

I have got 2 kelpie pups and one of them is going through a stage, well i hope its a stage, of barking. I have been told that if you can teach a dog to bark, then you can also teach them not to bark.

the problem that I have is that when she is outside barking at birds, shadows or any out of the ordinary noises, she goes non-stop, then, when i go out to try to get her to 'speak' on command she stops totally and wont bark for anything.

how do you teach a dog to bark when she wont bark at anything when i am standing within eye sight? I dont think she is barking for attention because she chases things and i can see her barking from inside.

Any advice?

If your throwing a ball and take too long to actually throw it, will she bark then, as if saying 'hurry up!'?

If she does, get her worked up and each time she barks say 'speak' and throw the ball. The ball is the reward so the only way to get it thrown is to 'speak'.

I will say that mine became more vocal after teaching them to bark on command :laugh:

Teaching your dog to bark on command doesn't necessarily translate to not barking when you are not there. The dog is telling you something by its behaviour of barking at birds, shadows etc. It's your job to figure out the "why" and try to help the dog stop barking. The dog is possibly overstimulated by the environment or it may be bored and is relieving its boredom by barking at all the stuff happening outside. There may be other reasons as well. I'd be looking at increasing my training with mental stimulation (training and tricks), impulse control (doggie zen) and environmental enrichment (bones, hidden caches of treats, food balls) as a start. I'd also be teaching the dog to find an "off switch" and learn to relax and settle down.

Edited by Jigsaw

I'd be looking at increasing my training with mental stimulation (training and tricks), impulse control (doggie zen) and environmental enrichment (bones, hidden caches of treats, food balls) as a start. I'd also be teaching the dog to find an "off switch" and learn to relax and settle down.

Hi Jigsaw

I would LOVE to work out the 'off switch' but i dont know how to train that,i have been told that the dogs are in a second 'naughty' stage between 9 - 14 months. I have just started to trian them using a clicker and it seems to be having good results so far, they are putting 2 and 2 together most of the time with it and realising that each click is praise. I have been praising the dogs when they are just sitting and being quiet, and when they are going a bit mental, i call them into a sit and stay position to try to calm them down.

I'd be looking at increasing my training with mental stimulation (training and tricks), impulse control (doggie zen) and environmental enrichment (bones, hidden caches of treats, food balls) as a start. I'd also be teaching the dog to find an "off switch" and learn to relax and settle down.

Hi Jigsaw

I would LOVE to work out the 'off switch' but i dont know how to train that,i have been told that the dogs are in a second 'naughty' stage between 9 - 14 months. I have just started to trian them using a clicker and it seems to be having good results so far, they are putting 2 and 2 together most of the time with it and realising that each click is praise. I have been praising the dogs when they are just sitting and being quiet, and when they are going a bit mental, i call them into a sit and stay position to try to calm them down.

Do you click & treat or click & just praise. Normally you would click & treat if you want them to put a high value on the clicker. If I just praised my two BC's when I clicked, they would soon lose interest in what I am trying to teach them. As soon as they realise I have the clicker, their mouths start to water & they will do anything to earn a click. :thumbsup:

Hi Jigsaw

Do you click & treat or click & just praise. Normally you would click & treat if you want them to put a high value on the clicker. If I just praised my two BC's when I clicked, they would soon lose interest in what I am trying to teach them. As soon as they realise I have the clicker, their mouths start to water & they will do anything to earn a click. :thumbsup:

Hi Sheena

I do click and treat 99% of the time. One of the dogs will do ANYTHING for a treat and a click, but the other one is a bit like 'meh' when it comes to food treats as she isnt food driven. its driving me crazy trying to find her "thing"

Hi Jigsaw

Hi Sheena

I do click and treat 99% of the time. One of the dogs will do ANYTHING for a treat and a click, but the other one is a bit like 'meh' when it comes to food treats as she isnt food driven. its driving me crazy trying to find her "thing"

You could try the Look @ That Game (LAT) which is excellent for working breed dogs. It counter-conditions them to things they find overstimulating in the environment & I have had great success with it with my BC girl. For some yummy treat ideas here is what my dogs get I also keep dry treats on my body & a clicker, so that I never miss an opportunity to reward something good or inventive that my dogs might do. :thumbsup:

Hi Jigsaw

The off switch for some dogs can take a while to turn on! :laugh: I know my own dog (Koolie) was around 2 before she settled (I had to crate her to get her to stop) and wasn't quite as hyper. She still is a lot though. For some dogs it is harder to get them to stop, you can train them to go to their mat and stay there while activity happens around them. Depends on what level of calm and relaxed you want, what you train for. If you're training relaxation and calmness (eg Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol on a mat) you generally don't use a clicker as the clicker stimulates arousal. It's one you can use just the first day of over and over until you feel you're dog is getting it before moving on. There are other ways as well, sometimes you've got to just find what works best for your dog!

LAT is great! It's from Controlled Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt.

For your dog that's a bit meh on food, incorporate her daily food ration into your treats, she doesn't have to eat out of a bowl. Have you tried raw food like steak or heart? Kibble soaked in roast juices, or sardine oil gets them more interested in dry food too. The dog might also be more interested in tugging or a ball if they're more movement oriented.