Warts (canine Papilloma Virus)

I noticed my puppy has a wart on his inner lip a few weeks ago, I've seen these on dogs before (My friends GSD had one) and they have always just simply fallen off. However Roscoes seem to be spreading badly :( He has one from having 1 on his lip, to 2 on his lip/inner mouth, and roughly 5 small ones on his Tongue!

I have been reading up on this and seems like the general consensus is that it will go away on its own, he has no trouble eating/drinking and they do not seem to be bothering him in any way. So should I just be keeping at eye on this, or is there something a vet can do to make it go away? I don't want more of them developing, and I don't want him passing it on to another dog.

Molly had one on her lip a few months back. I didn't know what it was (kept an eye on it but it got bigger over a few days). The vets actually removed it and sent it away for testing (I wanted to know for sure).

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

After it was cut out

DSC_0002.JPG

The vet said it is more common to appear in older dogs but that they can appear anywhere and not to be overly concerned if another appears.

Not sure that's of any help, sorry.

Didn't know they could get these in their mouths ! And I didn't know they could fall off by themselves, either. Both my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have them. My boy has a few on both his ears (where the ears meets the skull) and one on the side of his face. My girl has one on one ear as well, and also on the side of her flank. They've been there for a few years - vet says nothing to worry about. You can't really see them through the fur anyway, just feel them.

:)

Edited by divinemissmillie

Papillomas occurs in puppies and do tend to spontaneously regress.

The lump on lip of the GSD above looks more like an inflammatory lump such as a histiocytoma (if it were a young dog, but other lumps like mast cell tumours can look similar).

Older dogs get 'warty' lumps that are most commonly sebaceous adenomas - small round, pink, fleshy masses that often have a greasy covering on them. They're not actually warts, but they are very common and benign.

If there's any concern over a lump it's always a good idea to see your vet and get a fine needle aspirate done to see what it is. We don't always get a specific diagnosis but should be able to get enough information to know whether we need to be concerned about it or not.

My then 18 month old Great Dane went through 3 month period where she had them all around her chin and one even turned up on the inside of her mouth on her gum. They all disappeared within a a month or so.

Now my Great Dane pup has one on his chin - vet checked it and said it should regress.

One of my girls got a nasty looking wart-like growth near her eye. The vet said it didn't look dangerous and to keep a watch on it. It grew slowly and eventually got too near the eye so I had it surgically removed. That was 3 yrs ago. No recurrence.