Best Vehicle Choice

Rileys mum

Ok. after deciding not to get a trailer Im now stuck deciding on the best vehicle to suit my needs.

only getting a bigger car for the dogs so looking for economy and space.

Options Im tossing up. Ford falcon on dedicated LPG with tow bar and cargo barrier. OR Dual cab turbo diesel 4x2 (or 4x4) ute with canopy that has sliding side windows (plan to put pop up vents in roof so basically becomes like a trailer but attached to vehicle.)

Has anyone got either of these vehicles that can shed some light on positives and negatives.

Many thanks.

I have a GSP, a Basset and a GSD and previously owned a Falcon S/W and now own a Ford Ranger diesel with the canopy on the back with sliding windows. The station wagon was not on gas but petrol,still fairly economical but you cannot buy them new anymore. Only real con was that my GSP likes to ride standing up so sometimes vision out the back was problematic. I get about 10 litres per hundred kilometres with the Ranger, good for a big car/ute but still not real cheap. The biggest draw back is the turning circle, its hard to park in tight car parks, eg shopping malls.

Guest _MADCAT_

I personally love my Imports. Went from a Supra and bought my Bullmastiff so had to sell it for a wagon and got a Nissan Stagea Wagon.

But I've always been a rev head and love my fast cars... My 11 month old Bullmastiff Frank and my partners 8 month old Great Dane Zeus happily fit in the back of my car, I have twin sunroofs so they pop their head up every now and then to feel the wind in their mouth haha.

sorry I couldn't give advice, But I have a soft spot for wagons...

img5298p.jpgimg5326y.jpg

I'd lean towards the Duel Cab if that's what your after? otherwise I love the wagon because its still a "smallish" car and easier to park than a big 4WD

The canopies can be harder to manage the temperature in.

If you're doing distances and are after efficiency and comfort etc you could look at a Subaru diesel wagon with a cargo barrier for the dogs. Foresters have a lovely amount of space in the back, and the aircon gives you peace of mind.

I have the diesel Outback which has slightly less headroom but is wider, awesome economy (on a par with a small hatchback) and fantastic to drive, and fits two of my big dogs in the back comfortably, in the aircon,, with gear on the back seat.

I would be getting something that the dogs can ride in the car in the Air con with you. But I would also be looking at something that can tow a trailer anyway, so you can eventually have your gear in a trailer and make room for more dogs in the car!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jumabaar

I tossed this up as well ages ago.

Depending on what type of things you do with your dogs too.

If you do sports that may not always be on a solid road such as retrieving trials etc you may want to look at the 4wd option. Not all 4wd are big.

I got the NAvara D22. It is not as tall as the Hilux and D40 so it is still easy to access and put dogs in the back etc as well as gear.

IMO Station wagon PRO's

1, Aircon,

2- CAN be easier to park

CONS

1- Can't park it to go to shop and leave dogs in there.

2- the glass windows magnify heat so when stopped, you need to leave windows down (security issue),

3- Dogs are also having to travel on top of your stuff if you can't put it on back seat.

4- if you camp off road and it rains, you may have trouble getting back onto the road without AWD/4WD (even wet grass can be a problem)

DUAL Cab PROS

1- Can secure the back when you are not there, ie at motel, getting stuff when travelling,

2- if you do sports that may take you off a solid surface, you will not get bogged or have trouble in wet grass.

3- if you get a normal size 4WD, parking is not a problem (reverse park and you will have no problems)

4- If its raining and your dogs are wet/muddy, they can still get in the back without wetting and smelling out the car.

5- Can put a false floor in back to still use it for storage of things and still put crates/dogs in

6- Can take passengers if needed and they don't have heavy breathing over their shoulders LOL

7- Can play music as loud as you want and don't have to worry about their hearing loss.

8- are big enough to tow a trailer if later down the track you need to

CONS

1- Initial cost to buy may be higher and also to deck it out how you want

2- Heat may be hard but its Australia so it gets hot no matter what. Just put fly mesh on all windows and grill so you can leave windows all open for maximum airflow. Although you can get insulated canopies so that may well reduce that dramatically.

Riley's mum - I've got an AUII Ford station wagon with a cargo barrier and another barrier across the back. Tango travelled very comfortably in that for years, and towards the end, he came to work every day and was very happy and comfortable - there was plenty of space and with the screen across the back which had a gate in it, I could leave the tailgate up when parked, the windows down enough to create a breeze...... Dual fuel - use gas most of the time with petrol in the morning and at night for about 10kms.....4,000+kms a month costs me less than $500 for gas plus 2 tanks of petrol.

Edited by TangerineDream