Introducing Dogs

Del678

I've been taking my puppy male gsd to meet my mum's 9 yo female springer spaniel since 9 weeks (vet knows health and vaccination of springer and ok'ed it). Puppy being playful followes springer everywhere, pawing her, jumping, play-biting at her ears. But she obviuosly does not want to play and gives him warning growls but he just doesn't get the message and won't leave her alone. She even went upstairs (where she's not allowed) to hide. I haven't seen either 'submit' in ways i would recognise.

My question is, is it going to take her biting him for him to get the message that she doesn't want to play? I'm concerned bec i was hoping we could continue to baby sit for mum when she holidays and vice versa but am worried they'll fight.

Guest lavendergirl

At 9 years old I think she does not want to be bothered by a pup and is trying to get the message across. I think they should be separated as it is not really fair on her.

At 9 years old I think she does not want to be bothered by a pup and is trying to get the message across. I think they should be separated as it is not really fair on her.

I agree with this. I don't know why you are looking for a "submit" from either ... The GSD is going to be far too powerful for a poor old Springer Spaniel. What you are proposing is like leaving a toddler with a 75 yr old, it's not going to work for long and not fair on either dog. You'll need another solution for the holiday care.

Edited by dogmad

Funny thing is, i know she's 9 but up until i got my own puppy, she was jumpy and playful and hyperactive herself, like a typical springer, which is why i thought she could handle it. It's only when he's around that she behaves solomn and 'old'. She obviously also felt betrayed by my getting another dog. Wouldn't look at me for hours. I think you're right though, looks like we won't be having anything but short visits.

Funny thing is, i know she's 9 but up until i got my own puppy, she was jumpy and playful and hyperactive herself, like a typical springer, which is why i thought she could handle it. It's only when he's around that she behaves solomn and 'old'. She obviously also felt betrayed by my getting another dog. Wouldn't look at me for hours. I think you're right though, looks like we won't be having anything but short visits.

Definitely give her somewhere to escape to and hopefully one day she will get sick of his bad manners and tell him off. Mine usually pin the puppy to the ground by the throat with lots of noise as if they are going to kill them. It usually only takes one telling off for puppy to get the message and I have never had a puppy injured by an adult telling them off like this.

I an still waiting for my 8 year old BC to put the 5 month old JS baby in his place but I think the BC is just too placid to do it. Unfortunately I don't have any of my old girls anymore who would have taught the baby some manners by now so we have to provide plenty of places for the BC to get away from being harassed.