Keeping Puppy Entertained While At Work

heroeswit

Ok so as some of you know I am picking my puppy up at the Airport on Thursday (Australia Day) and I have to go back to work on Friday then my next day off is Monday. I am wondering what I can leave with her in her pen to keep her entertained?

I have a number of cardboard boxes, soft toys, rubber toys, squeaky toys, I also have a kong puppy size sml but I have no idea what I can put in it.

Do you have any other suggestions

I usually put kibble and peanut butter in my puppy's kong :) He loves it!

I have a small array of toys that I rotate so he wont get bored with the same old toys and always fill the kong before I leave to keep him occupied as I depart. I have a radio playing whilst I am away too.

The neighbours have said that they haven't heard a peep from him when I'm at work (Which is a total change considering he's very vocal when I'm home :laugh: ) I think for the most part he just sleeps.

As long as you tire the puppy out before you go to work, there is more of a chance that the puppy will sleep and not be so destructive.

Don't feel bad that you're starting him off with your routine early - It's best that he gets used to this rather than getting used to you being home for a week or so, then all of a sudden your gone. At least it's just a day back at work then 2 days back a home before the normal working week there after.

Of course also have plenty of water. :) I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine with your new arrival!! :D (Yes, lots of puppy pics are expected!! :p )

My working week starts on thursday normally and ends sunday so she will have basically 3 full days with isolation but she will have the other dogs running around our yard so she should have the other things to occupy her mind if she does get bored

Frozen drink bottles are great for keeping pup cool..my girl loves frozen chicken & cheese spread in the kong Treat balls are also good When I have to goto work I put her breakfast in one & it keeps her occupied for a fair while :)

What breed pup are you getting?

Frozen drink bottles are great for keeping pup cool..my girl loves frozen chicken & cheese spread in the kong Treat balls are also good When I have to goto work I put her breakfast in one & it keeps her occupied for a fair while :)

What breed pup are you getting?

White Swiss Shepherd

thanks for the tips I didn't think about those

WOW.... having spent the past month raising a new puppy myself, I have to say that is a long time during the day to leave a new pup coming into your house by itself for days after picking it up on Thursday and going to work straight away on the Friday..

I am not meaning to be disrespectful or nasty by saying that - but your pup really needs someone there, especially in those first few days & weeks..

Is there anyone else that can look after and supervise the pup while you are at work?

At the very beginning, it is so important to be there to guide your puppy, and make it feel supported and confident in its new home.

" From the outset, and especially during his first few days and weeks in your home, your puppy needs to be taught how to entertain himself quietly, calmly, and confidently. Otherwise he most certainly will become severelystressed when left at home alone. " - Dr Ian Dunbar

My puppy is fine and he was left alone from day one. Granted I had taken time off so I wasn't really 'away' but he thought i was. Cried for 10 - 15mins and nothing at all. I could hear him play and sleep.

Lushos, I noticed in your replies to another thread that you felt you failed your puppy as he is now stressed and upset when you leave due to you being there the whole time for a few weeks when you first brought the puppy home...

ETA - Grammar fail

Edited by minimiss

Lushos, I noticed in your replies to another thread that you felt you failed your puppy as he is now stressed and upset when you leave due to you being there the whole time for a few weeks when you first brought the puppy home...

Yes, I very much did have that problem when I got my pup and left it alone after spending too much time with puppy - of puppy relying on me too much - but since going to dog training classes and having so much support assistance & advice from the trainers at school of things that I did do incorrectly (and there were LOTS!!!) I have learnt the balance alot better, for what to do next time...

Lucky for me, my pup was young enough to train correctly when I was assisted how to and I managed to reverse the problems that I created from the word go with my puppy, as a first time dog owner.. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

I can see that you all have had experience with dogs - so you are right - who am I to make this sort of comment? I certainly did not have any until I went to training school having not owned a dog before..

I understand that, and would definately do things different if I were to get another pup -knowing what I did incorrectly the first time..

I guess what I am trying to say is, what I learnt is there has to be a balance there in those important first days / weeks - of being there to show puppy important household training, and also teach them how to calm in the pen.

by no means at all I am an expert - I just would not leave a tiny pup to its own devices on day one... But - you say that it is done all the time - I think I am just a tad neurotic!! LOL

Yes, I very much did have that problem when I got my pup and left it alone after spending too much time with puppy - of puppy relying on me too much - but since going to dog training classes and having so much support assistance & advice from the trainers at school of things that I did do incorrectly (and there were LOTS!!!) I have learnt the balance alot better, for what to do next time...

Lucky for me, my pup was young enough to train correctly when I was assisted how to and I managed to reverse the problems that I created from the word go with my puppy, as a first time dog owner.. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

I can see that you all have had experience with dogs - so you are right - who am I to make this sort of comment? I certainly did not have any until I went to training school having not owned a dog before..

I understand that, and would definately do things different if I were to get another pup -knowing what I did incorrectly the first time..

I guess what I am trying to say is, what I learnt is there has to be a balance there in those important first days / weeks - of being there to show puppy important household training, and also teach them how to calm in the pen.

by no means at all I am an expert - I just would not leave a tiny pup to its own devices on day one... But - you say that it is done all the time - I think I am just a tad neurotic!! LOL

Of course we all feel bad leaving them alone! We wouldn't be caring puppy owners if we didn't feel bad!

It's easier to train the puppy the same way the whole time, rather than switch midway and have the prolonged heartache and stress for both owner and puppy. Especially the owner - Knowing the puppy is stressed and crying is the worst thing, but just as you're trying to train them, they're testing you by crying as they're hoping they can get you to pay them attention. Usually they learn pretty quickly and quieten down once they realise you're not going to come.

In saying that, there are lots of threads on this exact same thing, as everyone goes through it, and has the same concerns. I found a lot of priceless information by scouring these forums to see what has been tried and tested. I found a lot of the American forums have completely different POVs and I got the feeling that if you even leave your pup alone for an hour you're the worst owner in the world.

It really is all trial and error.. What may work for some mightn't work for others..

I was going to be picking up my puppy on the thursday and back to work friday, now the puppy is coming Monday but she will still be spending a few hours by herself from the start. I am happier with this situation but I think it would have been fine either way. I also made mistakes with my first puppy so I am not making the same ones again.

Well the puppy is going to have to get used to being alone at some point.

Start as you mean to continue :) Puppies sleep a lot anyway, with a few toys I'm sure the hours will pass very quickly for Dwilds pup

Do they ever :-) just like a newborn..

Try not to over think too much and put too much pressure on yourself, I kept second guessing myself, now I go with my insticts and if something doesn't work I move on

I make sure I disappear in my room, computer room, go to the shops often as I am on 3 weeks holiday, I don't want him to think I am here 24/7.. We have a great morning routine where I Tire him out he loves his squirrel toy that he chases round the yard ( from clean run) that wears him out and he sleeps for hours :-)

ESky is so right start how you mean to continue.. I also got my boy a little soft dog toy he sleeps on it squished against our sliding door, I think that was a good call getting it, bit like a littermate.. :-)

Good advice everyone, Elsie is going to be left on her own for awhile most days from next month when I start back at uni. She has been left alone for a few hours at a time and coped fine, one time for 6 hours when I had an urgent work thing.

I had dog sitters come in for a couple of hours a day so that toilet training etc could be established. Then I sealed off the whole kitchen and put toys, water, a kong. Best thing now is I block off part of the laundry and have a eggy door. Inside the laundry is his crate so he can go in and out. They sleep a lot so he'll be fine.