Puppy Wake-up Time

minimax

One thing you can rely on - They arent babies forever and soon they will be an old age pug and you will look back and wonder where the time has gone

How true.

One of my dogs was just so awful as a pup, we seemed to spend so much time at night with heads under pillows "moaning shut the @#$% up" or "go the $%@$ to sleep" even his playing by himself was full on rowdy even at 2am.

One day we realised it had stopped, he had grown up and into a more acceptable routine.

Till he got really old and started demanding again....but that's another story :rofl:

Pups bring so much joy, but with it comes a few sacrifices. It will pass.

Yep I remember those days 8 years ago. Now all she wants to do is sleep all day everyday :laugh:

I didnt read all the responses so sorry if this repeats what others have said.

Jager was always an early riser and i am NOT a morning person. He was crated next to the bed and whenever he woke up (usually any time between 4-6am)i would take him to the toilet and put him back to bed. If he cried again, i would tell him "Shh" and then wait for him to be quiet for a second or two and give him something to chew on. that would usually keep him entertained enough for me to get some more sleep. At 6 i would then get up and go and lay on the couch with him and watch tv until 7. But i made it a rule that i would not get up before them. I didnt want him to develop a habit that if he continued i would get up. If he cried after chewing i would put my fingers in the crate and that would usually calm him down.

Took him till he was about 6 months to sleep through to 6am. And then from there i stopped setting my alarm, if he woke up between 6 and 7 I would get up, if he didnt, more sleep for me. From about 9 months he was consistantly sleeping in till 7 when i had to get up for work. He now doesnt even get up then, he waits for me to be ready for work then bounds upstairs for his breakfast. Then he goes straight back to bed and sleeps the extra hour before my boyfriend gets up to walk him.

You got it, They are all so different but it doesnt take long and they grow up

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that no matter where I take Zeus, as long as he has a fluffy/fleecy blanket he'll sleep anywhere. I've since bought a soft bed to leave at a friend's house that he snuggles into at night. He's not an inside dog at home but sleeps in my room when visiting because her three dogs sleep outside and he prefers to be with me in strange places.

On the plus side too, he's completely toilet trained for inside even though he's a 100% outside dog at home!!

So he's crate trained but without the crate!! :laugh:

Just as long as they're comfy and feel secure that's the main thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, I'm still exhausted!

4am seems to be the regular wake-up time now, and the past few days she's screamed/barked/cried loudly, even after I've given her a bone to keep her amused. I've never heard of a Pug ignoring a lamb shank in favour of having a tantrum!

I said a very sincere (but silent) apology to the neighbours this morning before putting a pillow over my head and going back to sleep, but she worked herself up so much she started to sound like she was choking (and she's not a very snorty pug, she only gets snuffly when shes over-excited).

When I got up she was happy to sit at my feet and nom on her bone, or run around the lounge room with it, but not if she was behind her baby-gates or in her crate.

I know she's a velcro dog but 4am is not a good time to be screaming the house down, it's not so good for my sanity lol especially not when we meet other pugs out on our walk and they tell us how good their 7 month old is, she just sits quietly until they come get her up in the morning.

I would:

1. Put the crate in your room. That way she has 'company' in the same vicinity

2. Take her out to pee when she wakes, back into crate with a treat.

3. Ignore all tantrums and crying (invest in ear plugs) and leave her in the crate until YOU are ready to get up.

3. Console myself with the fact that this won't last for ever.

Main thing is to teach her that her hysterics won't result in attention.

I think that's one of my biggest fears - what if it does? My neighbour had a dog that barked every single minute the owner was out, for it's whole 15 year life, so I keep thinking if I don't somehow teach her to NOT bark when she wants something, she'll keep on doing it.

I think that's one of my biggest fears - what if it does? My neighbour had a dog that barked every single minute the owner was out, for it's whole 15 year life, so I keep thinking if I don't somehow teach her to NOT bark when she wants something, she'll keep on doing it.

If you don't teach her that her antics get her attention, I can't see it happening.

She will also sleep longer as she matures.

What sort of exercise/stimulation are you giving her in the evenings? A good play session or a quick walk fairly late can push back wake up time. :)

What sort of exercise/stimulation are you giving her in the evenings? A good play session or a quick walk fairly late can push back wake up time. :)

She gets a long walk/play in the park around 5.30pm and spend most of the evening playing inside along with following people around the house as they get dinner/get ready for the next day/do random stuff. She naturally either falls asleep on my feet, or puts herself in her crate if she's really exhausted.

Usually around 7.30 or 8 she starts to work herself up into the zoomies so we get an intense half hour of manic puppy play in before she starts to wind down.

I've tried every trick in the book, including keeping her awake later and none of it makes her sleep later.

She gets a long walk/play in the park around 5.30pm and spend most of the evening playing inside along with following people around the house as they get dinner/get ready for the next day/do random stuff. She naturally either falls asleep on my feet, or puts herself in her crate if she's really exhausted.

Usually around 7.30 or 8 she starts to work herself up into the zoomies so we get an intense half hour of manic puppy play in before she starts to wind down.

I've tried every trick in the book, including keeping her awake later and none of it makes her sleep later.

She's still a bub. If she's not waking you twice a night, every night, you are doing better than a lot of baby puppy owners. (or senior dog owners for that matter)

Give her boundaries and give her time - she'll get there.