Puppy Wake-up Time

minimax

Kyojin used to wake us up around 4.30-5.30am for months. Gradually over time he would let us sleep longer, but it probably took about 6 months for him to start sleeping in. He was pretty good at going back to bed for us most of the time though.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have written your post word for word 4 months ago when Archie came to live with us....except he was 14 mths old. He did the waking at 5, then 4, then 3....his cry is a high pitched howl x squeal x yeowl thing...its like listening to nails on a chalk board. It just drives us all insane.

I ended up ignoring him and only going in to let him out for a toilet break at a slightly later time over several weeks....it then went from 3am until now 5:30am. As he goes to bed between 10:30pm and 11pm, I'm happy with that. Odd time we get to sleep in until 6am. But it is kind of nice to watch the sun rise in the morning :eek:

I agree DO NOT allow your pup on your bed....apart from the obvious danger, Pugs shed hair in tremendous amounts, so unless you want to breathe pug hair all night, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I think as your pup is still very young, it is going to take a lot of time and patience to get this pup into a routine...and routine is a must...sometimes Archie wants his bed time biscuit so much he skips the toilet bit, but I won't allow him to reenter the house until he goes, which he does....but he likes to push the boundaries a lot ;)

Come over to the Pug thread and get heaps of advice about everything Pug related :D You'll need it :rofl:

Lynn

I feel very sorry for you. Its not easy with so much advise. All Pugs are different and it really depends on how the breeder has started raising them too.

All my puppies are kept in a puppy pen in my dinning room and from 6-10 weeks of age they learn to sleep with out there mother. They have a bed and the rest of the pen is covered in newspaper. I NEVER get up to let them out to the toilet through out the night or you start a trend. I believe up until the age of 4 months they are too young to be crated all night as being a baby they WILL need to go to the Loo. If they are crated then how can they go to the toilet with out messing their bed or waking you up.

Do you understand so far what I mean.

I do believe in giving puppies all the love you can but at 12weeks you need to start with very small boundaries. Sleeping in your bed or in your room is definitely a big no no until they are old enough to hold their toilets over night. I have found with my pugs that they can start to hold their toilets over night by about the age of 4-5 months. Then you can start crating them.

While she is in her pen as a baby you need to make sure she has plenty of toys and chewy things and water and clean paper. Even if she wakes early in the morning you either need to totally ignore her or go out and with a stern voice put her back on her bed. Your voice needs to be very deep and definitely dont let her play at all. If she jumps off and runs to jump on the wire I would put her back in her bed and say NO BED, very very sternly. She will eventually learn. But if you have started getting up to her to let her out to the toilet then you are making a rode for your own back.

Anyway this is Just My Opinion.

Good Luck.

The trick is to be CONSISTENT with what you do

PRAISE when she does sleep in

EDITED to say, You can instead of a bed in a pen put her crate in there with the door kept open :-)

Edited by pugsrbest

I never use a crate to sleep puppies in either, preferring to put them in a room with a baby gate or a puppy pen with a bed at one end and newspaper at the other. They travel in a crate to shows so soon learn that crates lead to fun things. I take them out to toilet last thing before I go to bed and make sure they go. Then it is lights out and quiet in the house and they usually settle within a few minutes. Some will just wee on the newspaper, others prefer to go outside so if they cry I get up and take them out to toilet. Praise if they go but no play and no food. This applies to any time before I am ready to get up, so if they wake at 5am they get taken out for a toilet break and put straight back into their pen.

After a couple of weeks they usually start sleeping through the night and not needing to even wee. I have done this with all my BCs and now with a JS. They have all learnt that there is no playing or food until it is time for me to get up. If you play with them at all they they have a reason to get up earlier and earlier. I always leave toys they can chew on but never food tyoe items that will make them thirsty so they drink and need to go out more often.

I find a lot of people say "oh, she's a pug so you just have to live with it because they are stubborn and hard to train", but she's been really good at learning certain things so I don't buy into the sterotypical "untrainanable" thing people keep sprouting at me.

:rofl: :rofl: I didn't either!! Until I got a Pug and he hit 7 months of age. He was angelic before that. :laugh:

Whole heartedly agree with everything Donna says here. That is what I do with my babies and never have an issue. I also make sue the go to the toilet before being put in the pen to sleep. From a very early age the learn lights out means sleep time.

I have a 14 week old girl here and she sleeps in the puppy pen all night no worries.

I think the big difference is like Donna, mine don't leave until 10 weeks

Whole heartedly agree with everything Donna says here. That is what I do with my babies and never have an issue. I also make sue the go to the toilet before being put in the pen to sleep. From a very early age the learn lights out means sleep time.

I have a 14 week old girl here and she sleeps in the puppy pen all night no worries.

I think the big difference is like Donna, mine don't leave until 10 weeks

yep thats right I also forgot to say I do just like you said and take them out to do wees just before all lights out when I go to bed.

I totally agree with you too :thumbsup:

Every time I send one of my pups to a pet home they all rave at how good they are at night and never murmur a peep until there is people movement.

Pugs are totally different to big dogs too. Yes they can be a little bit more stubborn to train, but they are funny little critters :laugh:

I think an extra 2 weeks at my home makes a huge difference with my puggies. And I am not saying that is the same for big dogs, just pugs or small breeds JMO

:)

When I got her I started her in a pen, but it lasted only a few days before she learnt how to make the whole thing collapse around her by throwing herself at it so we went to just the crate.

It is hard with so much different advice, but I figure I'll keep trying things until something seems to work for her.

She was exhausted last night, we had puppy pre-school and she ran around terrorising al lthe big dogs so I thought she'd sleep well. She slept until 3.30am when she needed a wee, so I took her out to wee. She went back to bed and woke up at 4.30 and wouldn't go back to sleep. I put her in the kitchen with a pigs ear but she wasn't interested in it, she much prefered to scream and cry.

It really depends on why she is barking.

If the pup is distressed / scared / lonely you really need to re-assure her. Try putting your mattress on the floor for a few nights and either have the crate next to you where she can see you or put her on the mattress with you then gradually back to the crate as she gains more confidence.

Or, if she's like my Mal pup and just being a bitch (I have been woken up many a night at 2am because she wants to do something NOW!!), then I'd be inclined to (quietly and in a very boring way) take her out for a drink and a pee, then calmly put her back in the crate with something to chew on, throw a towel over the top and put a pillow over your head until she shuts up.

Trust me - it will only get worse if you give in. Forget about what your neighbours think, your dog is inside and you are dealing with it.

Though if she's not eating her pigs ear and working herself up to the point of vomiting then it sounds like she is distressed and you are going to need to work out why. Could be as simple as she is just too hot.

Bella was doing the same. I put her in the bathroom to sleep and she loves it. No more early morning wake up calls and if she has an accident it is easy to clean up. I just make sure there is nothing in there that can harm her etc, put her water and toys in there.

You need a better quality pen. Try something like this: http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/pet-dog-exercise-pen-run-kennel-enclosure.html

Yep I agree with that too. Pugs are useless with cheap ones. They are bull dossers :laugh:

Once you have a good quality one you can take it anywhere you go. even when they are older

Lizzy (Pug) bent the wires in the Rottweiler crates (heavy duty Rudducks crates) because she decided that she wasn't going to be crate trained any more. She chipped off the paint from the baby gates at the bathroom/laundry area because she wanted to be with us. She didn't just bite the bars - she screamed too. She even left little teeth marks in the show trolley. Was just easier to let her have the run of the house, she was an angel when she was with us but hated being locked away. She was rehomed successfully last year and she has trained her new family well. Charli has been totally different and to think I will be doing it all again later this year when we keep a pup from her....

Give me a Rottie pup any day - Pugs can be hard work compared to the Rotties :D .

To the OP, things will settle down a bit, sorry for the broken sleep.

Have you rung the breeder to discuss this with her...she will know her pugs best of all.

Mine sleep in their puppy pen and only know their crates for the car...so you would have to start crate training as soon as you got one of mine home. If you wanted a dog to conform to what a normal dog does then you shouldnt have got a PUG...they are unconventional in everything you will try and teach her. Pugs might look silly but they wont try and jump off a, what did you say? really high off the ground bed...they will wake up and the same routine of taking them out to the loo will happen.

Pugs are the best :rofl: Hence my sign in name :thumbsup:

once they get to 2 yrs of age all they want to do is sleep (well mine do) :thumbsup:

One thing you can rely on - They arent babies forever and soon they will be an old age pug and you will look back and wonder where the time has gone.

Edited by pugsrbest

Yesterday morning she woke at 2.30am and didn't want go back to sleep but after taking her out to pee I put her back in the crate and let her cry it out, which she did for about an hour. Quiet for about 30 mins then started again about 4am. Took her out and put her in the kitchen with her pigs ear, and although she cried a fair bit, she did eventually calm down after about half an hour.

This morning - 3.30am pee break turned into her refusing to go back into the crate. I put her in the kitchen with a pigs ear and she cried for a few minutes but not long at all. For the first time in 6 weeks my alarm went off at 6am!!! She was still asleep! I was worried that she wasn't making any noise so crept out to the kitchen and she didn't wake up until I opened the baby-gate. She was fast asleep on her back, in her bed (not the crate, but the soft bed she has in the kitchen). So cute.

Maybe I do need to try having her sleep in the kitchen instead of the crate. I just was so keen on having her crate-trained so when she stays at my partners place (or anywhere else) we can take her crate and she will be able to sleep without issues.

One thing you can rely on - They arent babies forever and soon they will be an old age pug and you will look back and wonder where the time has gone

How true.

One of my dogs was just so awful as a pup, we seemed to spend so much time at night with heads under pillows "moaning shut the @#$% up" or "go the $%@$ to sleep" even his playing by himself was full on rowdy even at 2am.

One day we realised it had stopped, he had grown up and into a more acceptable routine.

Till he got really old and started demanding again....but that's another story :rofl:

Pups bring so much joy, but with it comes a few sacrifices. It will pass.

I didnt read all the responses so sorry if this repeats what others have said.

Jager was always an early riser and i am NOT a morning person. He was crated next to the bed and whenever he woke up (usually any time between 4-6am)i would take him to the toilet and put him back to bed. If he cried again, i would tell him "Shh" and then wait for him to be quiet for a second or two and give him something to chew on. that would usually keep him entertained enough for me to get some more sleep. At 6 i would then get up and go and lay on the couch with him and watch tv until 7. But i made it a rule that i would not get up before them. I didnt want him to develop a habit that if he continued i would get up. If he cried after chewing i would put my fingers in the crate and that would usually calm him down.

Took him till he was about 6 months to sleep through to 6am. And then from there i stopped setting my alarm, if he woke up between 6 and 7 I would get up, if he didnt, more sleep for me. From about 9 months he was consistantly sleeping in till 7 when i had to get up for work. He now doesnt even get up then, he waits for me to be ready for work then bounds upstairs for his breakfast. Then he goes straight back to bed and sleeps the extra hour before my boyfriend gets up to walk him.