Nature Vs. Nurture

tangopatutti

I have a bull terrier and Staffordshire bull terrier and 4 cats. They have no issues, it did take a bit to get them all to like each other but now are fine.

I cant see an issue with what you want, but you need to make sure you have the right dog with the right temp.

Maybe you can list what you like about the breed and we can help you find something that will suit?

Thanks Teebs,

Long story as short as poss: We had a big scare with our GS last week. In fact he was scheduled to be put down today. Hip dysplasia since two (managed extremely well with meds - still runs around like a pup). Last friday I found a massive lump on his chest, vet suspected a malignant tumor. No way was I putting my boy through any more prodding and probing to treat the "cancer" what with his hips and his age (7.5), so with my husband away until yesterday, we made the decision to keep him as comfortable as possible until hubby could come home and say goodbye and we could grieve together. Two days after discovering the lump his front leg swelled up like a balloon, I rushed him up to the vet and the nasty big "tumor" was just a hideous deep tissue abscess. So my lovely boy (albeit with a big hole in his chest) is now bouncing around like a pup again and we have him for a wee while longer at least. (Tears of sorrow became wild sobs of joy and a BIG lesson for me).

Besides the terrible heartache of thinking I was losing our boy, it suddenly dawned on me I would lose my security too. My husband works away two weeks out of every four, we live rurally with no close neighbours, but I never feel lonely or apprehensive with my lovely big shepherd and my cattle dog around. They sleep next to me on the bed and are always by my side. Even if the security they provide is only psychological, it works for me.

After this big fright we realised we should be "growing up" another big breed pup, so when it finally is Tango's time to go, then I am not left adrift without a big dog. Actually I'm thinking very seriously of getting two pups, although hubby is stuck on one at the moment ;) Our GS is our youngest dog at 7.5, so realistically, I probably only have a couple of years left with him. I am not looking to "replace" my boy (was heartbroken at the thought rushing out to get another dog after he passed - couldn't do it).

So, I am looking for a dog who will be a loving member of our family, but have the necessary looks that say "be wary". Our GS has a beautiful nature, loves people, but most people are wary of him at first meeting, just his size and looks and his deep bark. My mother, who is quite fearful of large dogs, adores our shepherd because of his gentle and fun nature. But I know that if we did have an intruder, my boy would be advising them to call an ambulance first, because he would not back off if I was being attacked.

I was attracted first and foremost to the bull arab because I think they are terrific looking dogs; I love their build - solid, large, a real "dog" looking dog, IYKWIM? I have known a couple in the past and they had lovely natures, calm, friendly, outgoing, intelligent. The total package (IMO) apart from the fact they are bred to hunt :(

I want a large breed, non slobber chops, short coat. I'm looking for a dog that looks like steel on the outside, but is a marshmallow on the inside - a loving family dog, who is great with people, kids, chooks, pigs, horses, cows, cats, but would stand up to defend his family if the need ever arose - or would at least make an intruder think twice. Hubby is keen on another shepherd, but I like having a mix of different breeds (we currently have the GS, cattle dog cross, chihuahua cross and a pom). But perhaps if we get the two pups :thumbsup: we could get another GS and a different breed dog.

Also bear in mind I really want to get a rescue pup if possible, but would be wary of taking on another shepherd if it wasn't through a registered breeder with hip scores done (we didn't know about hip scoring when we got Tango, which has given us years of heartache with his dysplasia.) Since getting Tango so many years ago, I have learned about puppy mills, backyard breeders, etc., so will only be getting a pup through a rescue organisation or a registered breeder. But would prefer to give a little lost rescue soul a forever home above a planned breed that I know will find a home.

I would have loved to give a mature dog a home, but our two boys are fussy about company - no problems with a pup, but introducing a mature dog would be a challenge.

Sorry for the scroller!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

I guess I kinda suspected the answer before I asked, but I do so love the look and nature of the bull arab (asides the fact it is bred for hunting :(

I'll keep trawling through the rescue sites until we find the perfect doggie. Our GS has had a small op, so we have to wait for him to fully heal anyway before we bring a new pup into the mix.

Just a suggestion if you are after a big strong dog with no hunting instinct - a Bullmastiff might fit the bill. Not sure about rescue ones but the well bred ones don't chase anything except burglars. I know someone that has one with valuable horses and small dogs on a property with lots of native wildlife. They chose her so she could be with them working around the property and not want to run off to hunt anything.

Thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

I guess I kinda suspected the answer before I asked, but I do so love the look and nature of the bull arab (asides the fact it is bred for hunting :(

I'll keep trawling through the rescue sites until we find the perfect doggie. Our GS has had a small op, so we have to wait for him to fully heal anyway before we bring a new pup into the mix.

Just a suggestion if you are after a big strong dog with no hunting instinct - a Bullmastiff might fit the bill. Not sure about rescue ones but the well bred ones don't chase anything except burglars. I know someone that has one with valuable horses and small dogs on a property with lots of native wildlife. They chose her so she could be with them working around the property and not want to run off to hunt anything.

Dancin, that's exactly what I want - I am outside most days working on the property and our dogs are running loose around the property with me - they have perfect recall (except for the little pom, who at 10 years old is becoming a bit of a madam) and I can trust them not to give chase to anything.

Love mastiffs, but don't want a real slobber chops in the house - enough cleaning to do with the menagerie we already have. I adore neos, but would always have to be running around with a slobber cloth!

Love your little piggy! I was in Redfern, Sydney on Saturday night and a girl walked past with with a little pig in a harness just like yours.

I've met quite a few bull Arab type dogs, all rescues. All were lovely people dogs, not so sure about living with chickens and the like though. Keep looking. And I'm glad your GS is ok and will be with you for a while longer.

My little sister's dog was bred as a pig hunting dog from a long line of piggers, but she is the most gentle dog I have ever met and has NO prey drive what so ever. She is constantly "adopting" little animals (numerous baby birds, lambs, a baby possum, pet rats and rabbits), despite being spayed, and keeps them safe from the Doberman that wants to eat them. My family keeps pigs as meat animals, and Libby will go into the paddock with them and lick their faces very gently and cuddle with the baby pigs. She is a Ridgeback x Staffy x Lab x Boxer.

My little sister's dog was bred as a pig hunting dog from a long line of piggers, but she is the most gentle dog I have ever met and has NO prey drive what so ever. She is constantly "adopting" little animals (numerous baby birds, lambs, a baby possum, pet rats and rabbits), despite being spayed, and keeps them safe from the Doberman that wants to eat them. My family keeps pigs as meat animals, and Libby will go into the paddock with them and lick their faces very gently and cuddle with the baby pigs. She is a Ridgeback x Staffy x Lab x Boxer.

Awww, she sounds like a sweetheart... could I adopt her? :laugh:

I have an Anatolian x who fits just the description you gave :)

runs off to google the breed...

Nice looking dogs! What are they like as a family pet?

Not for anybody, they can be barkers but are very protective, loyal and silly. They need regular exercise but get tired quickly, well mine does anyway :laugh:

They aren't great at obedience as they are very independent but Mosley knows sit, lay down and shake and that suits us :)

Not the best choice for suburbia as they are quite loud, but as you have a bit of land I think it would be great! Great with kids, again very protective and affectionate. Can be destructive though so keep that in mind.

Awww, she sounds like a sweetheart... could I adopt her? :laugh:

Libby and her possum :D

8830_282260965460_573530460_9067381_2857093_n.jpg

Awwww, now I want Libby AND her possum! :laugh:

They're both gorgeous.

We have two possums living in the roof of my home office, we call them Wodga and Pamela. Pamela is very shy, but Wodga comes out to the eaves to say hello, we give him a sliver of apple from time to time.

If you decide to get a dog from a rescue, (no matter what breed), why not take your pigs in for a "meet and greet" first. That way it is done in a controlled environment, and you could get an indication of how they might go once you get the dog home.

I see you are QLD...we have a very nice 8 month Bull Arab x Mastiff up for adoption at the moment ;)

If you decide to get a dog from a rescue, (no matter what breed), why not take your pigs in for a "meet and greet" first. That way it is done in a controlled environment, and you could get an indication of how they might go once you get the dog home.

I see you are QLD...we have a very nice 8 month Bull Arab x Mastiff up for adoption at the moment ;)

Where do I find your dogs, Spyda? The only two websites I know to look at are adoptapet (which is RSPCA) and Petrescue. I've still got a couple of weeks before I can adopt, as we are waiting for our GS to completely heal up after his op before we introduce a pup/s.