Off Leash

SupaDupa Mini Cooper

I have become a bit of an obsessed and over-protective "mum" and we've only ever had Cooper on his leash when out (now 4 1/2 mths old). I know there are a few off-leash areas close to our home (none that I know of are fully fenced) and I would love to let Cooper just run free... especially at the beach, but I'm scared that if I did he wouldn't come if I called him back.

I know people have talked about improving recall, and for the most part he is really good at coming when I call (Hubby doesn't get much reaction when he calls him :laugh: ) but unless you let them off, how do you know they will recall?

I don't think he would run away, but he would certainly love to explore and may follow his nose into danger.

Get a long line, or even just a long piece of rope, attach it to his collar and let him explore that way. Carry lots of treats and randomly call him, reel him in, and treat. He will soon learn that if he comes when called, he will get a treat. When he reliably comes on the long line, you can start letting him off (but do so in an enclosed area first!).

Yep, long line :)

Also carry his favourite stuff with you. Raw steak if need be! Or a ball, or toy. I ALWAYS reward a recall even when my dogs are adults. The only time I don't is in the obedience trial ring and I want that to be a blip on the radar... "Oh, mum must have forgotten... next time!"

I took my puppy to the local oval (not fenced but quite safe) and would play LOTS of games with her off leash. Chasing her, letting her chase me, tug games, bits of clicker training. I kept the reward rate really, really high when starting off... if she was 2m away and she so much as turned and looked at me, I'd click and treat.

Edit: Another thing I taught her that was useful was that being off leash did NOT mean a free for all. Just because her leash has come off doesn't mean she can run off straight away. She needs to get a release word if she's allowed to go sniff/play/pee etc. Because I started with her off leash early, she learnt pretty quickly that it wasn't a novelty.

Edited by wuffles

Great that you posted this, i have been wondering the same thing - appreciate the tips on the long line.

Horse lunge ropes would be great for this - they're 10m standard usually webbing type, can get them at any saddlery or online fairly cheap :)

You can make your own long line out of cotton covered cord, thicker than that used on curtains & venetian blinds. Leave one end as is so your puppy doesn't get caught on anything & either tie the other end to a spare collar or the trojan clip off an old lead or buy one. I find you have to watch them because they tend to get their legs tangled at times.

ETA: You can teach your puppy to come to a whistle. Start the same way you charge a clicker by blowing the whistle, softly at 1st to judge puppies reaction then treat. Repeat & repeat & repeat. Once puppy has the hang of the game you can blow the whistle when he's in the same room as you & see if he comes running & treat. Again repeat etc. You always want to give a treat when you blow the whistle.

Edited by luvsdogs

If you're getting a k9pro one - ask them specifically for the puppy long line - it's not listed on their website but I bought one through them. Their other long lines are too heavy for puppies or medium (or smaller) dogs.

They are on the website. Most dogs would be fine with the standard one (and it's much easier to on your hands), however the lighter line is good for very small dogs and transitioning to off leash work IMO.

And ALWAYS wear shoes. Stupid me decided to train barefoot yesterday. Puppy line running through the toes is not nice rofl1.gif

I've always let my dogs offlead as soon as there allowed to leave the yard, I did work on recall at home a fair bit. Even tho I let my guys offlead so young they never wounded off far. If I saw someone or another dog I would put them back onleadvwaited till they have gone beofre letting them back off. I tryed the long line with Shelley when she was a puppy it didn't work to well she kept getting tangled and with Shelley it made her worse she wouldn't listen when on a long line.

My puppy is nearly 6 months now and has excellent recall at home, and off the lead out in public... But not yet when there are distractions (fun dogs mostly). I still let him off because he loves it so much and he gets so much great exercise playing with other dogs. Bit I admit that usually to get him back I either have to grab him or wait until he's exhausted and will just come and stand by my feet!

We are working on it. And lots of people have told me that they do get it better when they're older. It's a bit stressful but he's a very friendly and mostly very well behaved dog and gets on with all people and dogs so if there's a dog that wants to play with him I just let him off!

I've found my 9 month old Sheltie has regressed in his recall in recent months, he's been choosing to ignore me too often for my liking (in the fenced dog park).

I decided I had to make myself even more exciting than whatever else is around so I've been trying whenever his attention is on me from a distance I start running away from him but look back and call and talk to him in an excited high pitched voice, like "come on Riley over here, this way, come on!". Once he's engaged and running I let him catch up and either pop several high value treats in his mouth and/or have a play and ruffle him up. Then send him off again so he sees coming to me doesn't mean the end of the fun!

I've also changed the call I use, as he was ignoring the old way I figured I need to condition a response to a new call.

I only practice this in fenced areas at the moment until it's more reliable. And like wuffles said, with all my dogs I reward recalls as often as I possibly can, even when they are solid, so that on the occasions I can't depend on rewards but need them to come they still do it automatically.

I've also changed the call I use, as he was ignoring the old way I figured I need to condition a response to a new call.

Yes this is interesting. My pup is responding better and better to a whistle instead of a 'come' call at the moment.

Yes, the basis of Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall (which I'm a big fan of) is that you condition them to respond to your call without even thinking about it, as when they start thinking and weighing up their options chances are they won't come :) I can see it working with my 2.5 year old dog, he's pretty good at coming to me when I just say his name and/or come but if he's reluctant and I call "saxsaxsax" in a quick, high voice he just automatically spins and runs over.

Riley's initial one wasn't conditioned properly and I started over using it so it lost its effectiveness so I'm now working on getting the automatic response to the new call (it's such an embarrassing call too, I couldn't think of anything else at the time :o )

Long line! My puppy has been out on the long line from the second I have been taking her out. I avoid calling her when she is too distracted to listen right away, so have not had to haul her in on it yet, but it's nice having that safety measure in place.

We used the long line when out and about but we also made use of friends with backyards. That way he could truely be off lead in an enclosed area. There was the added distractions of new sights and smells. We only ever let Jager off lead when he is sitting patiently, we unclip and then give him his release word. Thats the way it has always been. When in someones backyard, we would call him over, ask him to sit, treat him and then use the release word and he would go back to sniffing etc.

But yes, whenever in public we used the long lead. Even now when we are down at the dog park and he is off lead, i will call him every so often, sit, treat and release.

Thanks for all the responses about the long line. I will be ordering one shortly.

One last question, do you hold it in your hand like a leash, tie it to your waist or an anchor point (fence, peg, etc)? I'd like to run around with him and play ball games but I think holding a line will interfere (and get tangled).

Thanks for all the responses about the long line. I will be ordering one shortly.

One last question, do you hold it in your hand like a leash, tie it to your waist or an anchor point (fence, peg, etc)? I'd like to run around with him and play ball games but I think holding a line will interfere (and get tangled).

I just let it drag behind the dog, then if you need to block them you step on it.

From previous experience, tying it around your waist is not a good idea if you have a large dog - they go, you go laugh.gif. With a smaller dog <10kg it might be okay? Still not great for your back though.