Bullterrier , And Mature Breeder Dog Questions ,

jase293

hi guys,

i hope im posting in the right place, i dont know if this sounds like a dumb question, but iv always wanted to ask about the shape of bullys heads ,

in my town there use to be this bully a tri black and white pied , and he had the most roman nose iv ever seen , he had a head like a Border Leicester sheep ,lol , to me he had a ripper head, then iv seen other dogs on tv that there heads are alot straighter ,?

if you know what i mean , is there a difference , by bloodlines of by different countrys as to head shape ,?

im planning on oneday getting a mature dog from a breeder , iv never brought from them before, only ever had a couple of rescue dogs ,

i keep asking my wife to let me get 1 , but she wont let me, she thinks that bullys kill every dog they see and are untrainable, she wants a british bulldog, or a staffordshire bullterrier ,

also if and when i do get another dog,? no rush , i keep thinking about buy a mature dog from a registed breeder , as i see a few mature dogs for sale on this site ,what are the pros and cons of buying a mature ex show dog from a show person so if and when i decide to get another dog ill know what to do , im looking for a dog that will live inside something iv never had before, and ill be home with it all the time, out of these breeds what are your thoughts, also are females more suited to live indoors or males better , iv been told males mark all over the place ?

hi guys,

i hope im posting in the right place, i dont know if this sounds like a dumb question, but iv always wanted to ask about the shape of bullys heads ,

in my town there use to be this bully a tri black and white pied , and he had the most roman nose iv ever seen , he had a head like a Border Leicester sheep ,lol , to me he had a ripper head, then iv seen other dogs on tv that there heads are alot straighter ,?

if you know what i mean , is there a difference , by bloodlines of by different countrys as to head shape ,?

I imagine there would be, I suggest going along to shows and seeing what sort of dogs you like (looks and temperament wise) and getting to know breeders that breed those lines better.

im planning on oneday getting a mature dog from a breeder , iv never brought from them before, only ever had a couple of rescue dogs ,

i keep asking my wife to let me get 1 , but she wont let me, she thinks that bullys kill every dog they see and are untrainable, she wants a british bulldog, or a staffordshire bullterrier ,

There is a great book about training breeds which can be a little harder to train than others, written by a woman who shows Bull Terriers in obedience and agility > When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs. They aren't the most easy to train of all breeds, but neither are Bulldogs or Staffordshire Bull Terriers in most cases.

also if and when i do get another dog,? no rush , i keep thinking about buy a mature dog from a registed breeder , as i see a few mature dogs for sale on this site ,what are the pros and cons of buying a mature ex show dog from a show person so if and when i decide to get another dog ill know what to do , im looking for a dog that will live inside something iv never had before, and ill be home with it all the time, out of these breeds what are your thoughts, also are females more suited to live indoors or males better , iv been told males mark all over the place ?

Boys will mark if you let them, so don't let them!

We had a retired show dog from a breeder, she was great, came well socialized, house trained, friendly, travelled well in a car, good with other dogs... Everything we could have wanted in a mature dog :)

The bully head can depend on lines. People always ask me why Atlas isnt a roman nose... drives me nuts! Ats dad had a much better head than Atlas, but i still love my boy :D

I have had the 3 breeds you are looking into.

Our Bulldog was a lovely dog, one of the best dogs we have ever had. You could do anything to him.He had a lot of health issues, but looking back we did not do the research on the breeder when we got him. He died 2 weeks after he turned 8, his heart gave out on him. While he was laid back, if something started a fight he would try to finish it.

I also used to work at a kennel where a Bulldog stayed from time to time.

He was a nasty dog, the owners let him get away with anything and if he didnt get his own way he would try to bite you.

Duke could be a stubborn dog if he didnt want to do anything.

He grew up with cats and while never had much to do with other dogs, when i took him in for 2 weeks while my parents went overseas he came to work with me every day and got along with the dogs and cats there.

I had a SBT growing up and have another now who is 7 in a few weeks time. they are VERY different dogs. Zeus was very laid back where as Kaos is full on, she has issues with dog aggression and can be a big handful.

I have found her very easy to train and she loves doing what i ask her to do. She has not slowed down one bit since the day i got her at 4 months old!

My Bull Terrier is totally different to my SBT, he is pig headed and will only do what he wants to do. He was very hard to train, it took me a long time to work out what worked for him and to teach him, i used to go home crying from obedience a lot :o

He is 9 this year and very laid back, i have worked with BT breeders and not all of them are as chilled out as my boy

Both my dogs live with 4 cats and are fantastic with kids and people. My cats range from 10 years to 14 weeks. My new kitten has been here for 2 weeks today and it only took 4 days to get him and the dogs together.

I think it is great you are looking at getting an older dog. you need to know what you want out of a dog, SOME dogs live their life outside so you need to toilet train them, some are not good with kids, cats, other dogs.. you need to trust who you are getting the dog off so you get the right dog for you.

As for male Vs Female.

My female SBT was much harder to toilet train than my male BT. My BT was entire till he was 3 and until recently has never once toileted inside my home or anyone elses (he has health issues now and has the odd accident inside :( ) Where my bitch will run off and hide if she isnt sure of the house and go to the loo.

I have also known bitches who will mark!

Pop into the bull terrier thread if you are after anymore info :) http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/105987-bull-terriers/]

the 3 breeds you are looking at are all very different, do your research on them all before picking what way you want to go. As for your wife thinking that all BTs are horrible dogs... she needs to know that it is not the breed that is an issue, it is the individual dog and any dog of any breed can be aggressive.

I have been abused when out walking my SBT and once while walking the bulldog about owing such horrible man eating dogs :(

Here is a photo of my bull terrier Atlas and my new kitten

416249_10150541722134914_580319913_8723824_1697221326_o.jpg

This is Bell and Duke - These two only met each other for the first time about 10 mins before this photo was taken

04062008019.jpg

these two have a love affair going on:

AtlasAndBella2.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

AtlasAndBella.jpg

DSCF6264.jpg

hi guys,

Thats sad, my bullies have always been so sweet natured, lazy lounge lizzards, my old girl would watch the cat eat her dinner with a sad look on her face but never harm him at all. I can't give advice on taking on an older dog from a show home cause i don't have experience with that. my bullies have either come from breeders as a pup or rescue. but they have all been lovely natured dogs and I'd own one over a foxy or silky terrier any day. granted they can be a bit full on when young and/or playing a game etc but it all comes with training. I didn't find my bullies any harder to train than anyother older dog ive taken on.

wow thanks for the pics they are loverly dogs, i do like the color of bully, tri color ? and thanks bothof you for the info , i am going to wait a fair bit until i get a dog, and when i do i will be getting 1 from someone who shows and breeds them, i wont buy a backyard breeder dog, after owning 3 rescues , a retired show dog but 1 that the owners have done alot with mostly i want a dog that is use to strange dogs, and housetrained,

hi DAVERI ,

my wife hates them as her dad had a bully male when she was growing up , and she said he was always fighting other dogs , and i guess she has heard like the rest of us that bullys have lock jaws ? and once the start fighting another dog its impossible to get them to let go ? thats something iv heard but having never owned 1 i dont know ,

but there a breed i love the look of and a breed i have always wanted , but my wife loves british bulldogs,

i guess ill have to sneak 1 into the house 1 day when she is not around ,

Hi Jase, if you are near me you are welcome to come and see my slug of a BT :laugh:

I got her as a mature dog from a breeder.

She came from another state and i had to jump through hoops to get the breeder to let me have her, so be prepared for this.

Lots of bully breeders don't run their dogs together, so it was hard for me to get a good match with my 2 other dogs.

Mine was never shown, she has floppy ears ,she was bred from.

Temp wise, brilliant dog, has had a coupe of dogs have a go on walks and she just stands there looking like wtf :thumbsup: She loves other dogs, but plays hard.

They are not an easy dog, there has to be someting in it for them to do anything.They go through things instead of around :laugh:

And what Teebs said, no such thing as lock jaw.

OT, is the Atlas awake ;)

Edited by juice

hi DAVERI ,

my wife hates them as her dad had a bully male when she was growing up , and she said he was always fighting other dogs , and i guess she has heard like the rest of us that bullys have lock jaws ? and once the start fighting another dog its impossible to get them to let go ? thats something iv heard but having never owned 1 i dont know ,

but there a breed i love the look of and a breed i have always wanted , but my wife loves british bulldogs,

i guess ill have to sneak 1 into the house 1 day when she is not around ,

Well, I reckon, That if your wife loves British Bulldogs then you will end up getting one. But thats cause I am so biased about them.

post-27080-0-06451100-1327639640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bullbreedlover

Forgot about the nose thing, i have seen a few lately round here that look awefull apparantly pure bred, look like leggy sighthounds in the mix, one lady even told me hers wasn't a "roman nose one" , thats why it looked like a mutt. Couldn't be bothered to tell her no such thing.

Find a breeder whose dogs you like the look of and then see if they have any mature dogs, often they are not on their site, but they may have one comming up that needs a home.

thanks everyone, oh i have heard heaps of times about the lock jaw thing ,lol everyone says it, but now that i think of it i dont know 1 of them that even had the breed ,lol

i am going to take my time and think about the breed i want, not rush into it, but it will be a bully or british bulldog, or staffordshire ,

oh and i live in the middle of no were at deniliquin , i havent ever heard of any breeders around here ?

so what are the show breeder people like to buy dogs from ,? iv heard some can be very funny about who they sell there dogs too ,? what sort of advice would you recommend , when dealing with show people ,?

if looking for a mature dog ?

i am going to take my time and think about the breed i want, not rush into it, but it will be a bully or british bulldog, or staffordshire ,

oh and i live in the middle of no were at deniliquin , i havent ever heard of any breeders around here ?

Would they be inside or outside dogs? I wonder how would these breeds cope with the heat of Deniliquin. I know one of SBT's would really struggle as she really feels the heat, my other one loves the heat so may cope fine.

To be brutally honest Jase, they are not easy to approach.

I have had bullies all my life, and have rescued a few, but when i sent out 3 emails to breeders whose dogs i liked, all about myself, my dogs, my setup etc, not one replied. :(

It took the power of dol to help me and recommend me a breeder .

hi guys,

i am thinking of a inside dog ? but to be honest iv never owned a dog that has been inside the house , so asking a breeder sounds like it is a bit hard , ut that is the way i want to go , as i want a dog that has been bred for health and temperament ,

i have seen heaps of ads on trading post, are any of them beng sold from show breeders ? or would they never think of selling like that ?

thanks for the replys guys, you have givin me plenty of advice ,

good breeders don't normally advertise in the trading post. you will find that these are mor eof your unregistered breeders. many good breeders have waiting lists too. are you near a librery or book store. read up first that way you will pick up on good questions to ask both yourself as to if this is the breed for you and a breeder. and it will help you to understand about health issues that affect the breed and understand any answers the breeder may give. be prepared they should ask you questions too. there are a few books just about BULL TERRIERS so they will be a good start. some breeders are really helpful others well yeah. you just go to sort through the good and the bad and find one you like. if its a bull terrier you really have your heart set on than you ganna have to warm your other half to the idea. do you homework first than do some ringing round. and have a talk to a few owners and breeders, maybe even join a bull club of sort. some of the groups i know have walks and days out. that maybe a good idea to get out and about so she can see them interact with each other. Its a good way for you also to be 100% sure they ae right for you too. after all this will be a new member of your family.