Pet Mince

I wouldn't feed any of those - they all look too fatty. I would stick to human grade - the "heart smart" or lower fat types such as kangaroo.

Why? Unless you have an obese dog or a dog with pancreatic issues they need fat in their diet.

I am aware of that - I thought the OP did have an obese dog?

Yes Shelley my female golden retriever has gone from 33kgs back to 40kgs due to the pet mince, I think I'll go back to feeding human grade mince. If I feed my dogs anyless then what there getting they will be eatting everything in sight, The vet also said not to drop there food intake anymore as if I did they won't be getting enough nutrience. As it is Shelley is only getting 1 cup of food a day.

Yes Shelley my female golden retriever has gone from 33kgs back to 40kgs due to the pet mince, I think I'll go back to feeding human grade mince. If I feed my dogs anyless then what there getting they will be eatting everything in sight, The vet also said not to drop there food intake anymore as if I did they won't be getting enough nutrience. As it is Shelley is only getting 1 cup of food a day.

This was discussed quite a bit in your other thread MTS, you were also feeding a high fat dry food as well. Have you switched Shelley to lower fat foods?

Is it possible to give Shelley more excersise? Then the amount of food you feed her will be offset with the amount of excersise she gets, if she works/excersises a bit harder she could have a little more etc. I think I posted I your other thread, it was basically the same as this one. Some good advice there!

I wouldn't feed my girl pet mince (even if she didn't have pancreatitis!). They just mince up all the offcuts, which are usually mostly fat and I have my doubts about how fresh it might be. I bought some once and it smelled awful so I just threw it away. Maybe you could try some human grade kangaroo mince with some rice/sweet potato to bulk it up if you are trying to get your dog to slim down a bit. Has your vet given you any suggestions?

Hi everyone I went to another butcher today and got 2 bags of there pet mince to try, I'm not sure it looks good but it looks to be fatty. 1 bag is chicken mince at $2 a kg and the other bag is cow cheek also known as ox cheek at $3:50 a kg.

I find ox cheek great for putting weight on, I wouldn't feed it to a dog that is overweight.

I wouldn't feed my girl pet mince (even if she didn't have pancreatitis!). They just mince up all the offcuts, which are usually mostly fat and I have my doubts about how fresh it might be. I bought some once and it smelled awful so I just threw it away. Maybe you could try some human grade kangaroo mince with some rice/sweet potato to bulk it up if you are trying to get your dog to slim down a bit. Has your vet given you any suggestions?

My butcher makes excellent quality fresh pet mince, not all pet minces are rubbish.

IMO if the dog has weight issues I'd switch to a lower fat kibble and stick with that. Raw I find is hard to get the amounts required correct and kibble portion control is easy. Get a set of measuring cups and start Shelley on 1/2 a cup twice daily and see how she goes in a week's time.

Both of dogs are on RC (Zeus on Sensible medium and Kirah on Puppy Small) and are doing fantastic. Zeus gets only 1/4 cup morning and night but he just burns it off so I don't mind extra treats here and there.

Kirah being a pup and still growing is a little harder to work out but it's just a matter of guess work and playing around until you're happy.

If you want to feed bones make sure you substitute it for a meal. So give her a meaty bone and NO breakfast/dinner. Don't give her both if she's gaining weight as she doesn't need the extra protein.

Like all food you get what you pay for... Pet mince is crap in my opinion and I wouldn't use it at all..

Get a good quality low fat kibble and add some sardines in the morning a couple of times a week.

Give raw bones with kibble for dinner...

If you need to lower the caloriesnofnyour dogs remove some kibble and add some grated carrot...

It really isn't rocket science...

I use Nutro as a kibble and they have sardines twice a week, cottage cheese and or an egg a couple of times a week and plenty of raw bones... Marrow bones, brisket bones and chicken wings or carcasses.

One night a week they get canned tuna with their kibble..

If I do a fair bit of training and they get some treats or I use some of their kibble to train with I just cut back on what they get of a night...

Like all food you get what you pay for... Pet mince is crap in my opinion and I wouldn't use it at all..

Like I said my butcher makes an excellent pet mince, it is not cheap and nasty it is based on cheek and heart not rubbish, and is not fine mush. He adds whatever extras I request to it when I order. I also have fresh chicken frames minced to order. There are plenty of crap mixes around, but these are excellent.