Question About Dogsnsw Membership...

rachael12

Hi all,

I want to join DogsNSW so that I can start showing my girl sometime this year, probably much later in the year as I have no idea what I'm doing, haha... anyway, I was just wondering what the difference is between an ordinary membership and an associate membership? Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Associate member in WA can only own an Associate registered dog! Is it really that different in other states?

What is an associate member dog? Are there limitations on showing, etc? I couldn't find any info about an associate membership and what it actually includes or excludes.. I might just call dogs NSW today and ask. It was too late yesterday to call which was the only reason I asked here instead.

Associate member in WA can only own an Associate registered dog! Is it really that different in other states?

What is an associate member dog? Are there limitations on showing, etc? I couldn't find any info about an associate membership and what it actually includes or excludes.. I might just call dogs NSW today and ask. It was too late yesterday to call which was the only reason I asked here instead.

These are two completely separate things - an Associate Member of DogsNSW, and having an Associate Register dog! NSW Rules & Regulations say you can own and show a dog as an Associate Member - no limitations on that. You just can't vote, have a breeder's prefix, or judge, or be on a DogsNSW Committee. You still get the Journal every month, too. Personally I don't understand why more people aren't Associate members :) Quite a few sporting people are associates, especially if they own associate register dogs.

An associate registered dog is one without a pedigree - so a purebreed without pedigree papers or a crossbreed, and is only given a call name on certificate. Some breeds with their own registries can go on Sporting Register (like WKC registered Kelpies), ANKC registered purebreeds go on either Main (can be shown/bred) or limited (can't be shown/bred but can do performance sports).

I joined up as an associate member as I am only at this stage showing my boy and any future dogs I may get.

Further down the track I will change to full membership if I want to breed but for now associate membership is fine