New Law Condemns Pups Weekly Times Feb 1 2012

Shazzapug

Also this isn't about Vicdogs - its about state legislation. If I own an Australasian Bogdog for example [used to be Aussie bulldog] the DOG has to be registered with Vicdogs for me to gain exemptions with some shires in Victoria to be able to own an entire dog.

Joining Vicdogs may get you off the hook for ONE thing - needing a DAB unless you have 10 dogs but try getting any other thing which has anything to do with the dog's registration. Did you know in at least one shire a requirement to buy a kennel is that you must be a Vicdogs member? Did you know if you want to register a business name with kennel in it you have to get permission from that state's CC?

Its also about what happens when you give people no choice but to agree to something to get something that they never wanted or have any intention to do - not to mention of course freedom of choice .

the working dog people will get the exemption - simply because they have a backing of the National party and there are too many of them. That leaves those who are not large commercial breeders but breed any old dog to any old thing which will be swimming in the same pond as Vicdog breeders. You dont have to get rid of your dogs or shoot them etc all you have to do is join Vicdogs or get the permits. But if you are going to need a truckload of money to breed half a dozen to comply - may as well go for broke and breed more.

Yep you are right they cant stop you breeding dogs which are not registered with them and any old cross bred breeder can get in and breed without needing a DAB and even sell to pet shops.. You don't even need a dog to be a breeder member - all you need is a prefix .

Good little money spinner for Vicdogs - sort of shoots all of their marketing about breeders and purebred dogs etc down though.

:coffee:

Doesn't really engender much respect.

So, the ticket to be a puppy farmer and breed many more muttlies awaits in Victoria - just pay up and you are sweet!

I don't really think this is what canine councils should be about, but then again, it is probably just me.

There is money to be made after all, and that is what makes the world go round.

Souff is going back to turtle watching - much more ethical.

Yep you are right they cant stop you breeding dogs which are not registered with them and any old cross bred breeder can get in and breed without needing a DAB and even sell to pet shops.. You don't even need a dog to be a breeder member - all you need is a prefix .

Good little money spinner for Vicdogs - sort of shoots all of their marketing about breeders and purebred dogs etc down though.

:coffee:

Doesn't really engender much respect.

So, the ticket to be a puppy farmer and breed many more muttlies awaits in Victoria - just pay up and you are sweet!

I don't really think this is what canine councils should be about, but then again, it is probably just me.There is money to be made after all, and that is what makes the world go round.

Souff is going back to turtle watching - much more ethical.

Neither do I. Nor, do I suspect this is what the CCs want to be. However there are opportunities to be explored if people stop protesting about the sky falling and seek solutions to the problem as they now exist.

The facts are that there IS method by which any dog breeder can put their dogs within the aegis of the VICDOGs protections under the legislation. So sending dogs out of state simply isn't necessary for many breeders.

I'm not going to condemn VICDOGs for negotiating a win for their members either. They aren't funded to represent the interests of anyone BUT their members.

Numbers matter when it comes to political lobbying. You need numbers for a voice. Lots of small breed registries and breeder associations don't have those numbers. Perhaps in the light of this legislation its time for a rethink about how best to protect the interests of members/dogs.

I'd be talking to VICDOGs as a matter of priority. I'd be joining even faster.

Steve:

I spoke with a lady yesterday who has 3 dogs living with her on 70 acres and she has two in boarding kennels because she can't have any more without being an illegal puppy farmer .Working dog people are moving their stud dogs interstate rather than have more than 3 fertile dogs on their properties.

Joke about Bosdogs all you want folks but all I can say is that I hope you are advising people that there IS a way of protecting their dogs, even if you think its just a money spinner for DOGSVIC Steve.

Because it will work while the MDBA tries again for recognition and if the MDBA fails, then your members will need to serve minimum membership times with DOGSVIC before they can get ANKC prefixes.

Where was Don Burke's pet breeders group left in all of this.. out in the cold?

Edited by Telida Whippets

Remind me again about having to have council approval, are you exempt from having to outlay outrageous amounts of money to keep three breeding dogs or more if you have a prefix? The way I read it was that you are subject to having to comply even with a prefix, maybe I read it wrong. The council regulations are the thing that will kill small breeders and having a prefix wouldn't fix that issue.

They aren't funded to represent the interests of anyone BUT their members. Numbers matter when it comes to political lobbying.

They are not funded by their members to assist in identifying restricted breed dogs either but that hasn't stopped them!

Guess that also helps when it comes to political lobbying.

Steve:

I spoke with a lady yesterday who has 3 dogs living with her on 70 acres and she has two in boarding kennels because she can't have any more without being an illegal puppy farmer .Working dog people are moving their stud dogs interstate rather than have more than 3 fertile dogs on their properties.

Joke about Bosdogs all you want folks but all I can say is that I hope you are advising people that there IS a way of protecting their dogs, even if you think its just a money spinner for DOGSVIC Steve.

Because it will work while the MDBA tries again for recognition and if the MDBA fails, then your members will need to serve minimum membership times with DOGSVIC before they can get ANKC prefixes.

Where was Don Burke's pet breeders group left in all of this.. out in the cold?

Maybe but they didnt apply yet in Victoria but they just got equal standing application approved in NSW.

We are advising all breeders to know the laws and follow them - no one can have more than 2 dogs or breed a litter whether they are Vicdogs or not without council approval .the only thing as far as breeding is concerned that gets Vicdogs off the hook with is the need for a DAB.Everyone in the state has to follow the same laws, the same regs and the same mandatory codes for breeding dog - they have to advertise chips or their number etc - Vicdog member's or not. Most of them havent been but now new penalties apply to them as well as everyone else. Most of them are still not compliant. The reason the exemptions are in place is because Vicdogs have undertaken to police their own members. We have also advised those who are not Vicdogs members that there is a way around it which allows them 10 dogs without the need for a DAB