Good Outcome - Thank You.

Steve

Is there a Pacers branch in Vic? I can't help with money or fostering at the moment, but I could try & get donations of supplies.

Yep sure is.

Where can I find their contact details?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacers has nothing to do with Dogz except that Troy allows us to talk about it and ask for help and donations here and as a result we have been able to help many people who are members here as well as those who have never heard of dogz if they hit hard times.

Its really all about helping people who are struck with a personal or natural disaster to be able to look after their animals rather than neglecting them or needing to abandon them. Usually human welfare orgs look after humans and these days many call us to give a hand with pets as well.

So we aim for short term help such as providing quick fencing, penning, food, shelter etc and foster care if its needed and the owners are involved in it all and the objective is to help them get back on their feet and help them to prevent them getting back to where they are. We have been able to help several thousand pet owners now and part of it is offering support and counselling - so we have helped some start their own home based businesses,helped them find pet friendly accommodation etc.

Sometimes people shouldn't keep their animals because they have too many etc so we go in and they help us to find new homes and we work with them to ensure their animals are safe and they don't feel that they have no control over it all.

Basically its a safety net for pet owners and their animals.

Is there a Pacers branch in Vic? I can't help with money or fostering at the moment, but I could try & get donations of supplies.

Yep sure is.

Where can I find their contact details?

0269276707 -that's me, no phones in the office in Victoria yet as we don't move in to new premises till late June.

Can I also add some tips in case anyone is considering whether they could foster or not...

An adult cat can be happily kept in a spare bedroom for several weeks if need be. They do not require great amounts of space or time really. In fact, this poor old girl will probably feel safer in a small room of her own. As long as she has lots of hidey holes (boxes with blankets, igloo beds, etc) and 'up' places (scratching post, shelving, etc) she will be fine. A litter tray and some food bowls, and she is all set. Even if you have other cats or dogs, if she is kept in a spare room away from them all I'm sure she'd be OK. Some rescue remedy on the back of her ears will also help take the edge off.

If anyone is considering fostering her but wants more general info about fostering adult cats, I'm happy to offer whatever advice/support I can.

I've just caught up with this thread - well done everyone - wonderful result.

Kirty this was a really helpful reminder - thank you. Julie I'm in Adelaide and if you ever have any need to foster pussy cats in this area I'm happy for them to take up residence in my spare room. I've had cats all my life - my latest gorgeous boy went to live with my Mum about six months ago (she's always adored him and finally wangled it!) so there's room at the inn and I think I even have a spare litter tray. Happy to have emergency doggy fosters as well - as long as they can put up with three westies. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by westiemum