Progesterone Supplements - Any Effect On Pups?

Alyosha

I'm very curious about this, and read a mention in a thread a while back that someone's vet had warned of possible lack of/small testicles and even feminisation of male pups as a result of progesterone supplementing.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? Or is it a wives tale?

I haven't used progesterone, and would be in two minds about doing so - but can certainly see why people do.

But I would love to hear of any noted or possible side effects, or stories of no effects, on male pups and their bits. :)

Had a litter born in October - my girl had lost her first litter - there is a thread on this - and was supplimented with progesterone tablets - 1 a day from day 39 - she delivered her pups without a hitch in spite of being told she would probably need a c/section - the 8 pups were beautiful and healthy all the males (4 boys) had normal testicles when they left - always check this thoroughly as I know its a more expensive op when they have a retained testicle - but all were being sold into pet homes in any case so they will all probably be desexed at 5 to 6 months - a bit too early to be completely sure but there seemed no problems at all from 6 - 7 weeks and when they left at 9 weeks - on a lighter side - for pets with so many people wanting females - if the boys were somewhat more feminine that could be a plus - but I do doubt this is the case. My reproduction vet never mentioned this as a possible outcome and he was very thorough.