Walking Sticks And Pulling Dogs

Hi,

for once, this isn't about my 'special' dog Duke! I help out with beginner classes at my dog club - if you, as a new owner are one of those people that need a lot of assistance, I'm the person who stays with you and helps. This semester, the first person needing help has managed to get to where she needs in the first week, and is doing fine.

However, young Schroeder (mini schnauzer) is presenting a challenge - to be precise, both his owners are dependent on walking sticks and in consequence, very unsteady on their feet. Schroeder nearly pulled his owner over about 5/6 times - and these were not the 'full on' type lunges, either. He does have the kind of owners you wish more dogs had, but these guys are going to have lots of problems simply due to mobility, and being new dog owners.

Any ideas on how to help them get Schroeder to loose leash walk? Most of our techniques do rely on steady owners who can do a bit of swift moving - they just are not possible for these guys. I've asked them as homework for this week to concentrate on the Name Game (ie, they call his name,reward for attention) and rewarding whenever Schroeder is next to them in the approximate loose leash walking position. The trainer is going to try a haltie next week to see if this can help.

Given that they are physically in no way ever going to last the entire class as well, this may well be my semester dog project - but I'd like to think that I can at least get them walking without fear of falling over at some point in time.

What about the front fastening harnesses?

They weren't around years ago when I was training dogs with old/tottery folks , and I have not used one, but they get good reviews on here :)

I used to provide headcollars in cases of limited mobility ...and do lots of training with a dog beforehand- so they were steady when we started off ;)

Have you thought about Schroeder maybe being trained by a trainer first, then transferring those skills to the owners once he has learnt what it's all about ? ( not something I normally approve of ...but where there is a real possibility of injury , it could be something to consider.) It may also give the owners more confidence, seing that he 'can' do it , and then they are able to work on their own balance/posture /communication skills safely ...

The other possibility is that they get help from an assistance dog group, who should be used to working with people who have mobility concerns .

oh .. and although I am solid and fairly mobile..I walk with a walking stick too ;) it always is an interesting exercise trying to leash train a puppy ! :p

Edited by persephone

I'm no fan of halti's but this looks like an appropriate use for one.

I second the pup being trained to walk on a loose lead and then taken over by the handlers. I hope this pup gets opportunities for offlead running - it will take some of the edge off his enthusiasm.

I'm no expert on mobility aids but a wheeled walking frame might help give the owners more stability.

Edited by Telida Whippets

what state and how old is the dog? You can get micro prong collars with which the dog will self correct before pulling them over, coupled with what you're doing it could be the safest option as there really is no scope for the dog to ever pull.

what state and how old is the dog? You can get micro prong collars with which the dog will self correct before pulling them over, coupled with what you're doing it could be the safest option as there really is no scope for the dog to ever pull.

I agree with Nekhbet.

I have utilised a head-collar or two in cases of handler physical limitation as well - but what should also be taken into account is the handler's ability to be able to use the head collar with sensitivity as well. The bridge of the nose and the area under the dogs' eyes is very sensitive and vulnerable. Some dogs continue to pull into the head-collar and a degree of handler agility is required to help avoid it coming up into and underneath the eye.

I might suggest the use of a no-pull harness however IMO these people would need a tool that affords them a bit more directional control than a harness to ensure the dogs don't get caught up in the walking sticks.

thank you all for your input - I copied them all to the class trainer (who also says thank you).

After consultation with the head trainer, we put young schroeder onto a gentle leader. It seems to me that the pup was calmer (pup - he's 12 months old), and his owner was having more success handling both leash and walking stick this week.

From here on in, I think the biggest problem will be that his owners don't seem to remember too well what was said the week before, so we will be writing them up a cheat sheet to take home. We are going to be concentrating on getting the 'reward him when he's being good' and 'reward when he is walking/sitting next to you' concept across. They tell me they can let him go for a run (although never when other dogs are around) and he does come back, so they are doing something right.