Shaking Hands?

I taught my girl how to shake hands by holding a treat into my right hand, then offering the hand to my dog. She would lick at it for awhile then eventually get frustrated and paw my hand, which I'd then mark and release the treat.

You can also get other paw behaviours along with the shake, like hi-5 and wave! :)

Probably not the 'right' way but I taught it by picking up a paw, shaking and treating. They then anticipate when you put your hand out and automatically lift their paw to shake. I don't use a word to cue the shake, I just put my hand out.

And then from there it is quite easy to teach a high five and wave as Misteri said.

Probably not the 'right' way but I taught it by picking up a paw, shaking and treating. They then anticipate when you put your hand out and automatically lift their paw to shake. I don't use a word to cue the shake, I just put my hand out.

This is all I do, basically .., also no verbal command . but after some time of picking up paw, I just tap gently behind the wrist , as a reminder, whilst still holding out the other hand . :) No treat though, just praise . They learn quite quickly , too!

I have a treat in my right hand, allow the dog to sniff the treat, pull it away, pick up left paw and say the command "shake" keep hold of the paw and then give the treat.

Our rescue who we have had for 24 hours, has already picked this up - quick learning dog!

In the end i can use hand signals and no voice, I always teach hand signals :)

This was the first trick I taught Mikey. Never had a dog that knew shake, so it was exciting lol

I did what the others are suggesting, in that I picked his paw up.

Picked his paw up.

Said shake.

Held it for a minute.

Reward.

He quickly got the idea of paw + hand = treat.

A few months down the track and shake has been able to move onto a high five. :D

It's a little hard to get Henry to sit to pick up his paw - he instantly rolls over for belly rubs most of the time! :laugh:

I'm sure we'll master it quickly if it's as easy as everyone says it is! Thanks

Hold back on giving him any belly rubs for the time being. If he rolls over ... "ah ah" and withdraw/wait. When he rights himself, start again with the paw shake.

Sometimes, to give a dog a hint of what we are looking for, I might use a finger to tap at the back of the paw and the instance the dog moves his paw in any forwards fashion, I 'mark' the behaviour and reward. This can help kick start the dog into thinking that it might just be about him moving his paw and with his mind on that, he might just do it, which means you can return to 'shaping' for the behaviour.

• 1 month later...

Henry is now shaking hands! I quickly gave up training him and decided dropping was more important, as he wasn't catching on to the shaking. Yesterday I decided to try the food & paw method of shake, and he picked it up really fast! Today I tap his wrist or hold my hand out and he puts his paw into it....Thanks everyone! :thumbsup: