Stranger Asking About Ziggy

Staffyluv

I think you may be over-reacting. There's a pretty good chance that the guy was just interested in using him for breeding. If he was planning on stealing the dog I doubt he would have come to your front door..

Lock the gates and keep an eye on the house by all means (I'd probably keep the dog indoors when you're out too), but showing interest is not really 'stalking' IMO.

I agree, he would never have come to the door if he was planning on stealing him...

Zig is mostly inside with me in my office or outside when we go walking, playing or training.. We seem to spend a lot of time together, so I am confident he is safe.

It just freaked me a bit that someone would come to my door after seeing us a block away from home...

I feel much better about it this morning.

Glad you're feeling better. You never know, the guy may have spent the whole half hour just working up the courage to knock on your doorlaugh.gif

That is exactly what I was thinking...

Still, I have to confess I wanted to give him the whole - why would you want a cross breed dog to put over your cross breed bitch blah, blah, blah...

Ziggy looks like a staffy - just a really , really big one.. At 10 months old he is now 22kg - I am thinking he might be crossed with something very large...

That is creepy creepy! Hopefully he was just curious and a little bit strange, stay safe!

I was approached by a lady when walking my staffy pup who asked all sorts of questions, how old was he, what was his breeding, do i live around the area etc. Freaked me out too and i walked past our house until i was sure she was gone!

I think you may be over-reacting. There's a pretty good chance that the guy was just interested in using him for breeding. If he was planning on stealing the dog I doubt he would have come to your front door..

Lock the gates and keep an eye on the house by all means (I'd probably keep the dog indoors when you're out too), but showing interest is not really 'stalking' IMO.

I agree, he would never have come to the door if he was planning on stealing him...

Zig is mostly inside with me in my office or outside when we go walking, playing or training.. We seem to spend a lot of time together, so I am confident he is safe.

It just freaked me a bit that someone would come to my door after seeing us a block away from home...

I feel much better about it this morning.

Don't count on it - not intending to freak you out but many years ago some young guys came to my house asking about puppies then returned that night and stole 2 of them. Yes of course I got them back (idiots!) but don't assume people who are low enough to steal a dog are smart enough to think it through.

For what its worth, I'd have freaked out too.

Maybe he really liked your dog and not everyone thinks breeding crossbreds is a big deal.

But just to be on the safe side, padlock your gates if you don't already. Might as well use the scare to tighten up security.

Kind of sad when your first thoughts when someone really likes your dog are to assume the worst but I suppose that's what most of us do these days.

Edited by Telida Whippets

For what its worth, I'd have freaked out too.

Maybe he really liked your dog and not everyone thinks breeding crossbreds is a big deal.

But just to be on the safe side, padlock your gates if you don't already. Might as well use the scare to tighten up security.

Kind of sad when your first thoughts when someone really likes your dog are to assume the worst but I suppose that's what most of us do these days.

It is a sad world we live in when my first thought went to the possibility of someone wanting to steal our boy..

I was talking to my son about it a while ago and described the guy and he thinks he knows who he was... He said if it is the guy he is thinking of he is harmless and a bit 'thick'... And that he probably just really liked Ziggy

Edited for spelling and my iPad being a witch...

Edited by Staffyluv

I think you'll be right seeing he's had the snip

still working from home?

just lock him away if you pop up to the shops for the next few days

Yeah still working from home..

I think you are right and he will be fine...

I was just a bit thrown when he turned up here...

I think anyone Zig did not know would have a hard time getting near him anyway as he can be really standoffish if he does not know you...

Yeah well I would be thrown if someone followed me home.

Just make sure Ziggy is inside when you are not home.

I hope it is nothing....

The house is locked up tight.

Ziggy is a great little guard dog, I will hear if anyone comes near the house...

I am going out tomorrow to get a big padlock for the front gate. Our front and back fences are near six feet high but the side ones are only one and a half metres high.. I think the side ones will be OK as we have neighbours on both sides..

I am freaked about it... I am hoping that he was just curious and wanted to use him to breed (but Zig is so timid and did not ev en go near him when he stopped us earlier)...

Hopefully I am over reacting...

could you let your neighbours know, so that they might keep an eye on your place and Ziggy? Maybe install a camera, with warning signs?

Hope you ARE overreacting.

Hi Staffyluv - that would have freaked me a little too, so don't think you're alone in feeling that way. Whether it is necessary to be freaked or not is another matter. Probably not - as Dogbesotted (:wave:) pointed out, if he had evil intentions it would be less likely that he'd come to your door.

However yes ... padlocks. Also one or two (depending on your house layout) automatic night lights that come on when someone reaches a gateway to your home/yard. Preferably something that you could detect from inside as well. A friend of mine had a prowler around her place for a while but since she put up auto flood lights, whoever it was has gone. Can be quite off-putting to have the spot light on you at night and this might give you some re-assurance at night time.

Though I bet Ziggy would set up an alert if someone was around who shouldn't be :D.