Whippet And Cats

Hi everyone Missy my 7 1/2 month old female whippet won't leave our cats alone she keeps biting down on there heads and necks even if the cats have a go at her she still trys to do it. My parents are getting fend up and I'm getting annoyed as they said if she doesn't stop she will be staying outside 24/7. I keep telling her No Leave but within a second she is doing it again. The cats can't get away from her cause where ever they jump to Missy can reach. What can I do? if it comes to it I might have to rehome her which I do not want to do.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone Missy my 7 1/2 month old female whippet won't leave our cats alone she keeps biting down on there heads and necks even if the cats have a go at her she still trys to do it. My parents are getting fend up and I'm getting annoyed as they said if she doesn't stop she will be staying outside 24/7. I keep telling her No Leave but within a second she is doing it again. The cats can't get away from her cause where ever they jump to Missy can reach. What can I do? if it comes to it I might have to rehome her which I do not want to do.

Here we go again.....

You've had this pup for 3.5 months. You were counselled against getting her and when you did, you were advised to stop her annoying the cats IMMEDIATELY.

So now we're here. You have two choices:

* step up and discipline her sternly for doing this. If she's got a collar on, EVERY time she goes to molest a cat, grab her by the collar. Roar "NOOOOO" at her and put her outside. You might also try a spray bottle and squirt her every time she bugs a cat. How about a few baby gates to stop Missy following the cats everywhere?? Or a tall cat tree so the cats CAN get some peace?

* rehome her now. Given that you've never shown the slightest indication that you're capable of following any of the advice given to you here, I suggest this is the better option for this pup before she actually injures one of the cats.

You have no idea how infuriated I am that your failure to think this through and to train your pup is now placing her future at risk. And you wonder why I told you NOT to get a Whippet.

This is an "I told you so" moment I could seriously have lived without.

(and for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, a read of the relevant posts in the Whippet thread will be illuminating)

I wish you luck getting her breeder to take her back. But then you didn't follow any advice about sourcing her from a responsible breeder either.

Maybe your sister will bail her out. For Missy's sake, I hope so.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Here we go again.....

You've had this pup for 3.5 months. You were counselled against getting her and when you did, you were advised to stop her annoying the cats IMMEDIATELY.

So now we're here. You have two choices:

* step up and discipline her sternly for doing this. If she's got a collar on, EVERY time she goes to molest a cat, grab her by the collar. Roar "NOOOOO" at her and put her outside.

* rehome her now. Given that you've never shown the slightest indication that you're capable of following any of the advice given to you here, I suggest this is the better option for this pup before she actually injures one of the cats.

You have no idea how infuriated I am that your failure to think this through and to train your pup is now placing her future at risk. And you wonder why I told you NOT to get a Whippet.

This is deja vu I could seriously have lived without.

(and for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, a read of the relevant posts in the Whippet thread will be illuminating)

I wish you luck getting her breeder to take her back. But then you didn't follow any advice about sourcing her from a responsible breeder either.

Maybe your sister will bail her out. For Missy's sake, I hope so.

I have told her No and even put her outside when she has annoyed the cats it doesn't help. As soon as you let her back in shes at it again so I tell her No again and then leave her outside till bedtime. What am I meant to do hit her she is very stubborn, I have told her No since the day I got her with the cats. She goes to obedience every monday night the trainers just keep telling me to say No in a firm voice and she will soon learn.

I know Missy just wants to play but she won't learn the meaning enough is enough. The cat even starts hissing but still she won't give up this is when I normally step in. She gets that stubborn that she won't even listen when theres food around.

You need to satisfy her drive, maybe lure coursing or teaching her to chase and fetch.

When shes in the house keep her on leash so you control her interaction with the cats.

Ive owned two whippets and had a very good retired racing grehound as house dogs, none have ever annoyed my cat, that is off limits, sight hounds are soft and easily learn right from wrong, you do need to release that chase desire some other way or you arent ready for a sight hound.

I have told her No and even put her outside when she has annoyed the cats it doesn't help. As soon as you let her back in shes at it again so I tell her No again and then leave her outside till bedtime. What am I meant to do hit her she is very stubborn, I have told her No since the day I got her with the cats. She goes to obedience every monday night the trainers just keep telling me to say No in a firm voice and she will soon learn.

I know Missy just wants to play but she won't learn the meaning enough is enough. The cat even starts hissing but still she won't give up this is when I normally step in. She gets that stubborn that she won't even listen when theres food around.

Guess what, SAYING NO ISN'T WORKING. You need to up the ante and NOW. She's had 3.5 months to learn that she can do what she wants to the cats because the consequences don't matter to her.

You need to step in EARLIER. This is predatory behaviour and the cats hate it.

Given that you told us your parents were well versed in Whippets, I'm amazed they've not got the problem under control.

Seriously, ring her breeders and tell them you want to give her back. If they are the Whippet lovers you told us they were, they'll do it.

But prepare for disappointment.

If you want her taken into Whippet rescue, I can probably organise it. But you need to either get this under control or rehome her BEFORE she injures a cat.

Do you use "no" for any other behavioural problems? If you do it could just be background noise to her.

You are fighting her strongly bred-in instincts, so if you want to stop it through training the timing of your corrections and rewards is critical.

You could also try training an incompatible behaviour: when you see the cats, plant your butt on the ground, go to your mat or go to your human. If what you are doing isn't working it might be worth investing in an in-home training session to see if your timings or demeanour are off. If she's not listening she isn't necessarily stubborn but either finds the cats more interesting than the treats and/or all her instincts are telling her to lock in on the cat. There is plenty of advice in this forum on building hadler focus and self-control.

Edit: if you've already diluted 'no', once your timings are sorted out I'd start again with a new word like 'uh-uh' or 'hey!'

Edited by Weasels

My parents had whippets over 30 years old so the breed has probably changed since then. My dad said his whippets were never as stubborn as Missy is, They never really barked much. My missy is a talker, Voices her opinion, If you tell her No she barks at you. I do play fetch with her but she will only play for so long before getting bored.

what do I do to up the Ante No doesn't work,putting her outside doesn't work,food doesn't work,toys don't work, The only things I can think of is a small tap on the bottom,putting something horrible on the cats to make them smell and taste horrible,but cats lick themselfs so I don't think theat would work. Or spray Missy with something everytime she annoys the cat.

My parents had whippets over 30 years old so the breed has probably changed since then. My dad said his whippets were never as stubborn as Missy is, They never really barked much. My missy is a talker, Voices her opinion, If you tell her No she barks at you. I do play fetch with her but she will only play for so long before getting bored.

what do I do to up the Ante No doesn't work,putting her outside doesn't work,food doesn't work,toys don't work, The only things I can think of is a small tap on the bottom,putting something horrible on the cats to make them smell and taste horrible,but cats lick themselfs so I don't think theat would work. Or spray Missy with something everytime she annoys the cat.

Ah, no. Still the same breed. Still the same prey drive and still the same sighthound temperament. My guess is that time has dimmed your parents memory.

Seriously, I think you should do right by this pup and rehome her before she ends up spending her life outside. You were told this wasn't a suitable situation for a whippet and perhaps now you might realise that folk weren't simply being "mean" by saying so.

She deserves better than to be shunted outside before she's 12 months old because you can't train her. God I can only hope you LEARN from this and don't get another dog in a hurry.

She may not see going outside as a punishment. It could be like sending a child to there room when there naughty. Does she find toys to play with when she goes out, does she interact with the other dogs? As Weasels said, I'd be consulting a behaviourist/trainer as soon as possible.

I also would not be putting anything on the cats as they may see it as punishment when they have not done anything wrong.

ETA; Have you tried what TW had suggested, baby gates? Something like this I would only use as a temporary solution in your case though.

Edited by Ben and Jerry

I didn't say I couldn't train her just after some ideas to get her to leave the cats alone so I have one problem with Missy and you say rehome her, yet someone comes on and asks for help with there dog aggerssive dog and you all help how about saying PTS instand. Mind you my parents whippets were taken out rabbiting everyday so its a bit different as Missy isn't used for rabbiting.

Missy is a great dog even the obedience trainers said her training is coming along nicely, Missy knows heel,sit, sit/stay,come still working on drop but the trainers say not bad for a 7 month old sighthound. She is just stubborn when it comes to the cats, I don't like using shock collars,citronella, But if I have to I will.

Is that the normal pratice in this forum have 1 problem better off to rehome the dog instand of working through it.

Is that the normal pratice in this forum have 1 problem better off to rehome the dog instand of working through it.

Nope but I'm basing my advice on my knowledge of your dog ownership and my assessment of the odds of you resolving this issue before Missy gets the boot outside.

If you can point to a problem you've posted about that you've received advice on and ACTED on it, I might feel differently.

But your parents have put you on notice, you don't seem to have much of a grasp of how to handle a Whippet and the clock is ticking.

Harsh? Probably, but its this pups interests that are driving my advice, not yours. I honestly don't think you are capable of "working through it".

You are the one who first raised the question of rehoming:

What can I do? if it comes to it I might have to rehome her which I do not want to do.

What do your obedience trainers say about Missy harassing the cats? Have they given you any tips? Perhaps ask them for advice as they actually know her? Or even better get a behaviourist to come to your home and observe the behaviour.

Have you thought about taking Missy rabbiting or lure coursing or some other activity to get some drive satisfaction?

She may not see going outside as a punishment. It could be like sending a child to there room when there naughty. Does she find toys to play with when she goes out, does she interact with the other dogs? As Weasels said, I'd be consulting a behaviourist/trainer as soon as possible.

I also would not be putting anything on the cats as they may see it as punishment when they have not done anything wrong.

ETA; Have you tried what TW had suggested, baby gates? Something like this I would only use as a temporary solution in your case though.

Got a baby gate and the cats can go in there to get away from Missy but they don't. She plays with the other dogs Shelley chases her around the yard all the time, Buddy wrestles with her, Rascal barks while chasing her. I my boyfriend and my dad chase her around the house too at times. She has plenty of toys which she plays with, hard to keep her occupied with when theres a cat around. If I really raise my voice at her she will listen but I don't like doing that.

You are the one who first raised the question of rehoming:

What can I do? if it comes to it I might have to rehome her which I do not want to do.

What do your obedience trainers say about Missy harassing the cats? Have they given you any tips? Perhaps ask them for advice as they actually know her? Or even better get a behaviourist to come to your home and observe the behaviour.

Have you thought about taking Missy rabbiting or lure coursing or some other activity to get some drive satisfaction?

I have thought about taking her rabbiting but not sure how or where to start? Also I'm worried about injuries as Missy can be a bit clumbsy. Her obedience trainer just says to say No in a firm voice.

Edited by mumtoshelley

Ok I am confused???

Before you said she is stubborn and won;t listen when is around the cats- she won;t respond to food, toys or voice etc and now you are saying if you raise your voice she will listen?

Ummm why don't you just raise your voice then to get her to stop annoying the cats.

Ok I am confused???

Before you said she is stubborn and won;t listen when is around the cats- she won;t respond to food, toys or voice etc and now you are saying if you raise your voice she will listen?

Ummm why don't you just raise your voice then to get her to stop annoying the cats.

Raise my voice I mean eg screaming at her even when I talk i'm loud so my raising my voice is screaming. I always thought yelling and screaming at a whippet was a no no as it can make them timid. If you heard my normal talking you would understand my voice is quite loud.

M2S,Please dont use an electric collar on her:(You should also never chase her, even if she loves it, you need to teach her to chase you.....or else the tail is wagging the dog.

Dogs are not stubborn, they just always work to the reinforcement.

It sounds like the wrong match for you unless you can find a GOOD trainer to help you and one that understands sight hounds.