How To Cook Liver?

Red Fox

Pretty sure this is not the best way but it does the job...

I fry mine up - cut up enough to fit, in a pan like mum used to cook it for us, minus the onions, and then I chop the cooked stuff up into treat sized bits (I think last time they were too small as dog not particularily keen), and freeze into flat sheets that I can break off to thaw as I need. It all sticks together a bit so if you can bust it up to thaw out just what you want, that helps.

Another person told me to cut it into thin slices and dry it in a slow oven (eg around the 80 to 100'C mark) for hours/overnight. But that's for the dried crunchy stuff. Thin slices of meat are easier to make if the meat is partially frozen before you start cutting - tricky to get it just right. I haven't done this. Can't imagine the smell would be good. But would like to try something similar with slices of roo since dog does go nuts for these.

I do not like bait that is crunchy.

Nor do I.

I keep my liver similar to leather and it does not stain the pockets either. Straight beef liver done in the microwave.

How thin do you slice the liver to achieve the 'leather' effect, Oakway?

LOL, in old money about half an inch. I just put it in for about a minute and see how it is going and keep going from there.

If it gets sticky I wash it off and put in the fridge for a while and surprisingly it can dry out to a nice leather consistency. I lay it flat on a chopping board.

I the cut it into the size I require last of all.

The other way is cook the whole live by boiling then cut into half inch strips and dry off in the microwave.

Heaps of ideas. Perhaps I should have bought more liver laugh.gif

Not the best of smells I agree.

I do not like bait that is crunchy.

To me there is nothing worse than a dog in the ring chewing and cracking crunchy bait.

I keep my liver similar to leather and it does not stain the pockets either. Straight beef liver done in the microwave.

If you want good firm bait try 500 grams of beef liver, 1 egg, shell and all if you wish, and a cup of flour, SR or plain.

Blend liver in blender, add egg and then the flour then put into swiss roll tin and cook for about half an hour in moderate oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. I use a non stick pan.

Does it crumble? Ideally I would like something I can use for tracking. So small, non crumbly and easy to eat but not too messy either.

It is of a good consistancy so you could crumble it if you wished to. I just got sick of making it as the dogs are just as happy with me cooking the Beef liver and drying to a leather consistancy.