Kennel Cough

I currently have my first foster with kennel cough (im up to about 20 fosters so pretty lucky its taken that long)

Anyway I've had her just over a week and while it was getting better the last 2 days it seems to have gotten worse and she just ran out of meds.

She also has a very snotty nose but is full of activity.

Should I be worried and taking her to the vet. She saw the vet near the pound, who didn't actually tell me anything, she just arrived on the transport with the anti-biotics with her papers.

I have also heard it can be treated with doxy which we have plenty of, should I put her on that?

Kennel Cough is a bit like the flu.. Some have worse symptoms than others..

I personally would go to vet to confirm..

I have a dog with hayfever & allergies that looks like KC (runny nose & red eyes) but no respiratory issues.

Best to have lungs & heart checked by vet to rule out any other possible issues.

KC can take up to six weeks of medication to fully clear... Make sure there is no interaction with unvaccinated dogs.. When booking in at vet let them know that you believe is KC so they can make sure no others are in clinic..

Thanks, it was confirmed by a vet and i had a weeks medication, which has now run out.

She is in her own run, my dogs are vaccinated but still keeping separate.

I'll put her on the doxy and give that a go and if we have no luck i'll take her to my vet.

Would be unlikely to be allergies as she has moved 3 times, pound to a local person holding her to 6 hours south to me.

Did she come via a transport company or was it a private run?

My general rule is that if the snot is clear, leave well enough alone - if yellow or green, AB's are given, usually Amoxyclav or Clavubactin at 12.5mg per kg of weight for 5-7 days.

After all symptoms are gone, still keep dog separate from other dogs for up to 2 weeks as they can still pass it on.

T.

Thanks, it was confirmed by a vet and i had a weeks medication, which has now run out.

She is in her own run, my dogs are vaccinated but still keeping separate.

I'll put her on the doxy and give that a go and if we have no luck i'll take her to my vet.

Would be unlikely to be allergies as she has moved 3 times, pound to a local person holding her to 6 hours south to me.

There are 8 known causes of kennel cough, of which only 2 are covered by current vaccines. My two dogs got kennel cough from a foster and my dog who had received the C5 vaccine had it worse. So vaccines wont necessarily protect your dogs if it is a different strain than they are vaccinated against, so good idea to keep them separated as you are doing.

PS Both my dogs were given Rilexine 300 tabs for 10 days for their kennel cough. It got worse, before it got better, but had cleared by day 10.

Edited by bernym

You are lucky not to have kennel cough from Mildura before. It's a particularly nasty strain that some vets down here don't even recognise as kennel cough. We've had dogs it's lasted for months.

Vet in Mildura has offered to test the strain it is so virulent to see what best to treat it.

Thanks for the advice. She is a little better in the last day, less snotty.

Vicdrg - i am very sad my luck has ended but at least ill learn something. It had to happen sooner or later

She was private transport, i think only dog, though the transport is unquarantined, so assumption has to be made they have it when they arrive

Just watch and listen to her breathing for the next couple of weeks - if she gets any hint of a gurgle, get some strong AB's into her ASAP... if the KC at Mildura is particularly nasty it could turn to a form of Pneumonia.

Make sure she stays warm and dry and keep an eye on the snot and breathing sounds - pretty much the same as you would treat a human child with a nasty cold...

T.

Thanks my husband thinks it sounds like reverse sneezing. Our boy has that. Today it sounded like she had to cough up flem then once she had she was right.... Getting closer to going to the vet though i tend to be paranoid and my vet always thinks im over reacting