Bad Teeth/bite

luvsdogs

My 7.5 month old Japanese Spitz pup's adult teeth have grown in with a reverse scissor bite ie his front bottom incisors are over the top of the upper incisors. Also his right lower canine is hitting behind his upper incisor. I feel he will have to have this tooth out. On the left side the canines have fitted into the spaces.

Has anyone had to have their young dog's teeth removed because of a similar problem? At 1st I thought he'd have his 2 lower canines removed to prevent damage to the upper gum but after reading Dr Christine Hawke's booklet - Common Dental Problems for Competition Dogs, puppy problems., I am reluctant to have this done as it says that the lower canines form 70% of the front of the jaw & could cause fracture of the jaw if removed & I don't want that to happen. Has anyone taken their dogs to Dr Hawke & how expensive is it? I know what the initial consult & further visits cost which is about triple a regular vet visit before even paying for any treatment.

We have an appointment with my vet on Thursday to see what she recommends but I'd like to hear others opinions & experiences are first.

My 7.5 month old Japanese Spitz pup's adult teeth have grown in with a reverse scissor bite ie his front bottom incisors are over the top of the upper incisors. Also his right lower canine is hitting behind his upper incisor. I feel he will have to have this tooth out. On the left side the canines have fitted into the spaces.

Has anyone had to have their young dog's teeth removed because of a similar problem? At 1st I thought he'd have his 2 lower canines removed to prevent damage to the upper gum but after reading Dr Christine Hawke's booklet - Common Dental Problems for Competition Dogs, puppy problems., I am reluctant to have this done as it says that the lower canines form 70% of the front of the jaw & could cause fracture of the jaw if removed & I don't want that to happen. Has anyone taken their dogs to Dr Hawke & how expensive is it? I know what the initial consult & further visits cost which is about triple a regular vet visit before even paying for any treatment.

We have an appointment with my vet on Thursday to see what she recommends but I'd like to hear others opinions & experiences are first.

Ring Christine- she is more than happy to chat to you before going in. She is AMAZING and has amazing results. I have gone and seen her and its worth every cent for the service she gives. Full anaesthetic monitoring by a dedicated nurse, amazing surgical technique etc. Also she doesn't cut corners like a few other vets that are offering cheaper treatments.

Have sent her an email asking for her land line phone no or given her my no.

Christine rang me & we chatted for 34 minutes. Plan of attack

- see my vet tomorrow, Christine knows her & said to pass on her regards,

- get my vet's opinion on what needs doing & see if she thinks he needs to see Christine & if not for my own piece of mind...

- go see Christine anyway for a 2nd opinion.

- get my vet's opinion on what needs doing & see if she thinks he needs to see Christine & if not for my own piece of mind...

Wonderful!! :thumbsup:

My vet feels quite confident that the lateral incisor needs removing. It will be taken out on Monday when he will also get desexed, retained testicles, sooner than I had planned when I first got him.

Christine gave her well wishes for the procedure & said to watch how his bite goes once the tooth is removed & frees up the canine that's hitting against the incisor. Positive vibes please for a positive outcome. Oh's not fussed on spending too much on pets nor is my son who talked me into getting Panda in the 1st place he says it's not bothering him so leave well enough alone. Not my feelings as Panda doesn't like you to touch his mouth.

My vet feels quite confident that the lateral incisor needs removing. It will be taken out on Monday when he will also get desexed, retained testicles, sooner than I had planned when I first got him.

Christine gave her well wishes for the procedure & said to watch how his bite goes once the tooth is removed & frees up the canine that's hitting against the incisor. Positive vibes please for a positive outcome. Oh's not fussed on spending too much on pets nor is my son who talked me into getting Panda in the 1st place he says it's not bothering him so leave well enough alone. Not my feelings as Panda doesn't like you to touch his mouth.

I think this means next time the son or husband gets sick/injured you get a free day and tell them that they just need to suck it up like they wanted Panda too!! :rofl:

Positive 'tooth moving into correct space' vibes!!

I think this means next time the son or husband gets sick/injured you get a free day and tell them that they just need to suck it up like they wanted Panda too!! :rofl:

Positive 'tooth moving into correct space' vibes!!

:laugh: :laugh: & :thumbsup: