If You Have Used Suprelorin

OSoSwift

Okay a question again for those that have used Suprelorin.

The testicles shrink when they have it. Do the testicles have to go back to pre-implant size to be producing viable sperm and for them to be fertile again? or can they be fertile and have smaller than previous testicles?

• 8 months later...

Hi, does anyone know at what age suprelorin can be implanted?

My male is 7 months old

I haven't researched into the minimum age, my own personal thoughts however is that I would not use it until after a dog was fully mature. Simply because I prefer my dogs to be allowed develop fully before I interfere. I don't know what breed you have, but certainly for large breeds I would not use it that young.

My male is 7 months old

At any age I guess, from memory 6 months. I wouldn't do it though as I would worry their growth would be affected in the same way desexing them before growth plate closure would.

Edited by OSoSwift

Thanks for the information yes I was worried

he was a little young too, he is a siberian husky

I also have the female at home too, she is just

6 months but am thinking she will be on heat soon

prob sooner than the implant would take effect

anyway, not wanting to get them desexed yet

would like to have some time to explore all options

first, just hoping I can deal with separating the 2 when

the time arrives

• 9 years later...
On 17/11/2012 at 8:30 AM, Reddie3 said:

My male is 7 months old

My answer comes Too Late for you sorry, but for anyone else reading this - DONT DO IT - not while they are sexually inexperienced at least, as when the implant (eventually!!!!)  wears off, they don’t know what to do and the natural urges aren’t there to guide them. I’ve done and am living with the resultant issues right now. It’s been 3 years since 12mth implant into a 5 mth old sexually maturing but sexually inexperienced male ShihTzu and his balls still haven’t filled even quarter what they were and he only sometimes gets an erection and doesn’t know what to do. He humps but doesn’t hit the spot so looses interest again fairly quickly. It’s distressing and sad, especially for the girl who tries extremely hard to get him excited with 69s and whatever she can and then he gets up and mounts and thrusts a few times and then….nothing. He moves away confused not knowing what to do.  They stop all sexual activity if I try to intervene to help at all.   My advice is do not implant in sexually inexperienced males and if you do, get sperm collected beforehand if important to you, and only do the 6 month implant if you want fertility to return in a decent timeframe for breeding. Vets are NOT adequately trained or educated on the use of these implants so don’t rely on them solely, like I did!!  I’m hopeful mine will return to full fertility but sceptical and have read enough to know my scepticism is not unfounded. But I’m trying to stay hopeful otherwise I will have to pay for her to be studded elsewhere or have her sterilised.  That would be very sad. It is all very sad.  I wish I had of known all this prior to getting Suprelorin 12 mth implant.  Vets use the same 12 month dosage in horses as they do in dogs, as in my tiny little ShihTzu !!   :((

Edited by Hopeful