50mm 1.8d Af Nikkor Lens

kritta

Total beginner here!

I know a few of you shoot with the 50mm lens.

I guess my question is, would this be ok or is it a cheap and nasty one.

What does the D mean behind the f/stop, I've noticed other (more expensive lenses have a different letter behind them.

This particular lens I'm looking at is $135- on amazon.

I just want to get away from my kit lens and do some nice portrait photos.

Will this be a good entry lens or should I give it a miss and keep trying to save my pennies!

Are you using a Nikon camera?

50mm 1.8 is a great starter. You'll probably find after a while that you want to upgrade to the 1.4 though, so if you afford it, I'd go for that! Otherwise, IMO it's a big improvement on the kit lenses.

HTH :)

Sorry yes I have a Nikon camera 3100.

Cheers Elsie and Hudson will check it out and get back to you if I decide to go the 1.8 thinking maybe I should go 1.4 though.....

Arrrr decisions.....decisions....

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Thanks Huga, Auto focus is a must for me! Thinking I will save some more coin and get the 1.4 anyways that way I won't need to upgrade in the future.

Cheers everyone for your help :)

I don't often post but I love your photos they inspire me to keep on plugging away at my own photos!

I know people who have been caught out with that before, that's why I asked the camera model.

And thank you :) I use the 50mm 1.8 constantly. I've used the 1.4 and compared them side by side and honestly, I can't see a difference. Maybe there is a slight difference in the background, but I can't be certain. Or maybe I just have a good version, who knows?

Oh geez Huga and Kuma, I thought I was all decided on the 1.4 but.....I've been reading peoples reviews and looking at photos taken with the 50mm 1.8 and I must say I'm swaying towards the 1.8 again! Thinking if I go the 1.8 then I can buy myself a spare battery and another memory card with the money I save myself!

Thanks for the link and advise, I can't believe how much cheaper they are on that site compared with local prices I have been given.

Once again Cheers for the help :)

• 1 month later...

Just an update!

I ended up with the 35mm 1.8 and love it!

I went and tried both the 50 and the 35 but was liking how the 35 gave me more room indoors.

Thinking I will get a 50 in the near future though :)

Looking at zooms now !!!!!