Help Me Learn - Dog Behaviour Aggressive Or Not?

Guest RosieFT

Grumbling doesn't always indicate aggression either. I have a grumbler and his sister is the same. They grumble when in a situation they are not comfortable - i.e. meeting another dog for the first time - in but their body language is submissive. Interestingly other dogs tend to ignore the grumbling while their owner don't. The grumbling is not a growl even though people interpret it as that an dogs certainly don't interpret it as a growl. You need to look at the dogs body language.

ETA I can only assume the 2 dogs learnt the grumble as pups as neither of their offspring do it.

Edited by Janba

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for that. Is it this one? http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Canine-Body-Language-Brenda-Aloff/9781929242351?cf=3&rid=605617722&i=1&keywords=Brenda+Aloff+Canine+Body+Language

I looked at it earlier, but it had one bad review re the quality of the pictures and was unsure whether to get it. "A large thick book which could have been very good to excellent had they illustrated it using either a better printing process, clearer pictures and/or supplemented it with line drawings based on the pictures. In many cases one is left in doubt as to exactly what you are supposed to be looking for or at."

But if you think the photos are clear, i will get it. :-)

Yes it is that one. For the most part I found the photo's fine. Note that the photos used are 'real life' situations and that would make some instances difficult to capture. You know what it's like - dog behaviour can change in a nanno second so taking piccies wouldn't always be easy. I think they've done well. And what I like are descriptions/explanations that go with the photos. Eg. "... The dog furthest on the left is doing an Avoidance-style Look Away. Note her braced front leg, while her hindquarters are tucked under. If she moved it would be away from the creature on the right."

There are a few photos that comprise a series of still shots, with explanations showing how the behaviour has changed and what emotions reflect those changes. A bit like talking someone through a very short video slide by slide (sort of).

Other books that have been mentioned might be easier as starter books, but I think Brenda Aloff's book captures more detail in terms of what to take into account. Perhaps start with the easier to read ones and move on from there.

The trouble with drawn figures is that there is much detail lost in the communication,however that is a place where I first began my theoretical journey of breaking dog body language down into increments and then building my knowledge base on from that, so that's not necessarily a bad place to start.