Undescended Part

So I'm trying to find out what I should be doing in regards to my boy who has one of his boy parts but not his other. He's eight months old now and I've been told by my local vet that I could wait until ten months to see if he drops it without having to worry about health problems.

Thing is he was purchased to be a stud dog, I was under the impression everything checked out ok when I got him and most dogs I've known have had both their parts around the 6 week mark, at the latest the 12 week mark.

Has anyone had this happen to them? He was a lot of money for a dog who is now lacking in that department. Mind you he's the sweetest boy and I love him to bits regardless. But I do worry about his health. Thoughts and advice would be really terrific.

The breeder should not have sold you the dog, if I were you I would return him and request a full refund, no experienced, reputable breeder will sell a puppy for show or breeding if it doesn't have two fully descended testes. Unilateral cryptorchidism isn't uncommon and can occur in any dog, pure or crossbreed, but unfortunately there is a chance that the retained teste may become cancerous if it's not removed so if you decide to keep the dog he should be desexed. Personally I doubt that it will come down now, it's possible but highly unlikely.

Welcome :)

I presume you mean testicles ... ;)

Have you spoken with his breeder? They should be able to help you .. and if the dog was bought as a stud .. he can't be shown etc . :( Did you feel them both when you bought him ? Did you vet say anything then, when he had his 'new puppy' check?

When I picked him up I did feel something, but it was only one. At the time I didn't think much of it because the breeder assured me she'd felt both. Though when I had the vet check him I was told the other was no where to be found at that stage. Naturally I told the breeder that there was only one and was assured that it could take time, nothing to worry about since he was so young, and that it should be down at around five months. By that time I was really concerned and my vet told me he didn't expect an appearance from it anymore.

Obviously if I'd known beforehand that it hadn't dropped I wouldn't have spent the money on him, but now he's a part of the family and I would feel terrible to uproot him and send him away. Still, it's left me in a bit of a situation without the stud and not enough money to buy one that's entire.

Can you feel the other one at all in the canal?

My experience was that my boy only had 1 at 8 weeks, but as he was pick I took the risk. I could however feel the other one in the canal.

So daily doses of zinc tablets, some gentle massage!! and I also used a herbal remedy call 'drop down mix' and by 16 weeks the other one was down and both confirmed by a vet to be in the scrotum. :)

I was very happy and relieved to have run the gauntlet and won.

Good luck with your boy.

Still, it's left me in a bit of a situation without the stud and not enough money to buy one that's entire.

Why do you want a stud dog? Is it to use over your own bitches or other breeders' bitches?

If it's to use over your own bitches it's highly unlikely that one stud dog will be suitable to put over every bitch you own, it's a far better idea to use outside studs and select the dog that best complements each individual bitch. If you're hoping to offer him at stud to other breeders you will have to show him first and get a title on him because unless he has exceptional type and conformation and/or carries highly desirable lines that are unavailable elsewhere no one will be interested in using him.

Edited by Miranda

If you are a Breeder (?) there is no real reason to own your own stud dog, also purchasing a male pup with the intention of using it for stud is a gamble, there are certainly no guarantees that the pup will make the grade, as you have now discovered. You would be far better of putting the time and effort into a good quality bitch and then choosing a suitable high quality stud for her when and if she makes the grade and you are ready to Breed.