Nervous Showdog

I have a showdog that can show well but at times is abit nervous in the ring - will put tail down and appear nervous at times. I have tried herbal tabs and these have helped but I still get that nervous behaviour at times. Does anyone have any ideas to help a nervous dog?

And also tell about your observations at the shows you're talking about. Eg. Different/certain other breeds in closer proximity? Busier shows? Indoor shows? Outdoor shows? Could weather be something that is affecting?

Other things to consider - male judges/female judges, in the ring alone, at the front of the line, in the middle of the line, back of the line.

My girl used to get upset when going in for class in group but not for anything at breed level and then I realised it was the breed that was behind us most of the time that tended to make a lot of huffing puffing sounds right behind her as we moved.

I find whenever I am in the ring be it agility/obedience or conformation, I get soooo nervous I am sure it just travels straight down the lead to my dog, or in case of non lead events my whole deameanour changes as I mentally try to organise myself. So as soon as I started to do some pre event visualisations (closed eyes/listened to relaxing music on ipod breathed and focussed on doing well), then just prior to stepping in I would say to myself a little mantra such as " You look great, you have a great dog and you will do well", and I would smile and just have fun no matter what happened around me, since then we have become a great team and no more nervous me or dog. Hope this helps. :)

One of mine gt quite nervous of the ring as a pup after several occasions of dogs having a go at her at the ring entrance. What I ended up doing was staying back after the show and playing a game with her in the ring, some fetch, and tug, and generally making it an enjoyable place instead of stressful.

Hi Toto - do you have some more details? Can you tell us the age, breed and history of the dog? Bitch or dog? Is this a new or a long term behaviour? Do you know what the dog is nervous of - dogs, people, noise?

She is a bitch, about 20 months old, smaller breed - showed well as a baby puppy but started to have problems at busy shows where I think she feels closed in when in puppy classes. Sometimes she is fine but other times very nervery. Can happen inside or outside too. We took her to a socialization class for a while with other dogs (especially larger dogs) and this seemed to help but she still seems vary of larger dogs. When in the ring she can pull in if she sees larger dogs in the next ring. She was in three shows at the week-end. Showed well for one, bad for the second & reasonable for the third. Maybe I should just except she is going to have those bad shows from time to time - but very frustrating.

Thanks for the extra info. I find the bitches can be a little up and down in line with hormone fluctuations so keep that in mind too. Making the ring a fun place to be and taking deep breaths yourself are also good ideas.

You could try the "Look at that" game - I have used it with really good (and pretty quick) success. Some links of explanation:

http://clickerleash.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/look-at-that-a-counterintuitive-approach-to-dealing-with-reactive-dogs/

http://raisingk9.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/leslie-mcdevitts-look-at-that-game.html

I'm really enjoying Leslie McDevitt's new book too: Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program

Thanks for the extra info. I find the bitches can be a little up and down in line with hormone fluctuations so keep that in mind too. Making the ring a fun place to be and taking deep breaths yourself are also good ideas.

You could try the "Look at that" game - I have used it with really good (and pretty quick) success. Some links of explanation:

http://clickerleash.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/look-at-that-a-counterintuitive-approach-to-dealing-with-reactive-dogs/

http://raisingk9.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/leslie-mcdevitts-look-at-that-game.html

I'm really enjoying Leslie McDevitt's new book too: Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program

Thanks for the quick reply - I appreciate it. Will have a good look at your suggestions. Thanks again