Peeing When People Come Over

Jordan Windebank

Hi all, Fletcher is now almost 16 weeks and has come along heaps in terms of settling in and is generally just a beautifully behaved dog to be be around.

But...

He has developed a habit recently of getting super excited when people come to visit to the point that he pees a bit when he greets them. He usually doesn't get overly excited in day to day life and is quite calm by nature, and even when this happens it is more just walking around tail wagging madly.

Can anyone provide any suggestions as to what the cause might be please, or what I can do to try and help him break this habit?

Thanks,

Jordan

PS. Recent photo for everyone.

429744_10150665013409301_609619300_9072600_1977059994_n.jpg

Many puppies urinate in excitement. It's great that Fletcher finds new people exciting and a 'good thing', but not so good that he wees.

Many puppies will grow out of this, but it's good to try to minimise opportunities to do excitement wees so it doesn't become a habit.

I find that if you ask visitors to ignore the puppy when they first arrive they normally are able to control themselves and it stops the puppy getting into the habit of peeing.

Elbie used to do this, he has grown out of it. Hoover still does it :p The easiest thing is, crate the dog or leave the dog outside when the person first comes in. Then let the dogs out/into the house and ask the visitor to ignore them. This works for us in 99% of the cases. The remaining 1% was when Hoover's favourite dog came to visit and he almost imploded with joy - and wee :p I am guessing he will grow out of it eventually like Elbie did so long as we remain consistent.

Keep him outside or crated until everyone is settled. My boy had the same habit around a similar age. We reduced the excitement levels, and he grew out of it quickly, although he still wee's in excitment when we go to my dads :laugh: Perhaps out of habit, as it happened the first time he ever went there.

Our neighbour told me the other day that his 6 year old dog still does this when certain people come over (family that are known to make a big fuss over the dog). He said it's the fault of the guests not the dog and he's trying to train the family.

Elbie used to do this, he has grown out of it. Hoover still does it :p The easiest thing is, crate the dog or leave the dog outside when the person first comes in. Then let the dogs out/into the house and ask the visitor to ignore them. This works for us in 99% of the cases. The remaining 1% was when Hoover's favourite dog came to visit and he almost imploded with joy - and wee :p I am guessing he will grow out of it eventually like Elbie did so long as we remain consistent.

Are we banned from visiting your house now? :rofl: :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Maui did this all the time, but has now grown out of it.. Unless his "uncle" Alex comes over. Mind you, Alex just LOVES our dog and gets just as excited as Maui does. When Maui hears his motorbike coming down the street his whole body starts to wag!

Yep lots of nods on this one and doesn't need to be anyone coming over I come home that is enough excitement and worst part is if I do manage to get in door leap up the stairs and pick her up (too little to get down stairs) and she will promptly pee on me!!! Better the floor then me I say :o She has a litter mat upstairs and is excellent at using it, but still same old same old I come in older dog runs down stairs to greet leaving her at top and hey presto pressie on carpet.

My only solution so far has been to leave her downstairs in a gated area so as soon as I walk into foyer I can let her out back to go and this works :) she has just turned 16 weeks old and can now successfully go through night without using tray and has moved into managing 3 -4hour holds between daytime use of tray, so fingers crossed the wee of excitement phase will soon be thing of past. ;)