Retained Baby Canines

I had to have one lower baby canine removed with my current pup, because it had broken off at gum level. It wasn't going to budge with any amount of tugging etc. and the adult tooth was starting to head to the roof of the mouth rather than correct alignment due to the retained baby tooth. The other side had fallen out naturally well before. At the time both the top adult canines were also coming through with the baby teeth still there solidly. I asked the vet about removing them at the same time and she said she did not like to remove baby teeth unless the adult teeth were at least as erupted to the length of the retained teeth because it could cause jaw issues in iteself. We left the upper ones and they eventually came out by themselves. The bottom canine corrected and at 6 months the bite is looking spot on :) I have often had pups with both their baby and adult teeth for a short time, it's their shark mouth phase :)

Edited by FHRP

• 3 weeks later...

an update.....

second baby canine still there, adult canine almost completely down - came in straight though. No amount of wiggling, games of tug, meaty bones is going to shift it it seems. She's 6 months in two days time. Appointment at the vet next week to have it removed.

Make sure the vet x rays it first - you have no idea what is going on under there til you do the x ray, and just pulling it out without knowing how the root look/where the root goes could cause a lot more probs. The x ray I saw of my dog's retained baby canine (I went to the fabulous Dr Christine Hawke in Sydney) showed the root went up first (like it should) and then it headed towards the back of the mouth, crossing over the roots of the two teeth behind it! Thank god she x rayed and so knew what she was dealing with before just pulling away at it.

Make sure the vet x rays it first - you have no idea what is going on under there til you do the x ray, and just pulling it out without knowing how the root look/where the root goes could cause a lot more probs. The x ray I saw of my dog's retained baby canine (I went to the fabulous Dr Christine Hawke in Sydney) showed the root went up first (like it should) and then it headed towards the back of the mouth, crossing over the roots of the two teeth behind it! Thank god she x rayed and so knew what she was dealing with before just pulling away at it.

Thanks very much for that tip!!! Will insist on it.

My Snowy still has his baby teeth.

Two of it are having the adult teeth growing together. One side by side and another, the adult tooth is below (the normal teeth line).

He is almost 8 months?

I will be asking the vet next week when I send him for neuter.

I am 63 years old and have four retained canines . . . because my permanent teeth never came in. The canines are worn down and puny, but better than nothing.

Not sure if dogs are the same as people, but in people, the tooth falls out because the adult tooth comes in and gives it a push. The retained tooth is not a problem.

I am 63 years old and have four retained canines . . . because my permanent teeth never came in. The canines are worn down and puny, but better than nothing.

Not sure if dogs are the same as people, but in people, the tooth falls out because the adult tooth comes in and gives it a push. The retained tooth is not a problem.

Dogs have a different system to eruption to people.

The adult tooth does not rely on the location of the baby tooth to guide it and the baby root should have already broken down well in advance. Retained teeth where the adult tooth has not erupted in the correct position it can cause a problem in dogs.

Vet took the tooth out yesterday - no complications. He kindly (??) gave me the tooth afterwards to show me. Was very obvious, looking at it, that there was no way this tooth was coming out on its own. The root was very long - twice as long as the tooth itself.

I would like to say, to my poor vet - I don't think I need to be given any souvenirs after my other dog's procedure coming up soon.