Irritable Bowel

I am a great believer in Slippery Elm, have used it with much success in foals for scouring. I usually use the tincture, just 5-10 drops does the trick.

Just curious - but how does a "tincture" work? Does it balloon, expand and become the thickish gel like consistency that the powder form becomes, after absorbing moisture, this being (as far as I understand) what affords the animal gut protection from irritation ??

I'm interested because I too have a dog with Irritable Bowel (cause still indeterminate) and after reading Cowanbree's success, I've gone back to giving it a go. (Earlier on in my boy's history, it didn't help with what we were dealing with back then, but things have changed - stabilised, even, perhaps, to a degree) and so I thought I'd give it another shot. Mandela's stools had gone really off in the last few weeks and I must admit that inside of 12-24 hours of administering the Slippery Elm powder, his stools vastly improved. I'm not sure how long this will last though - it's always an up and down ride with his condition and symptoms. I don't put additives with his food as he will often walk away from his meal regardless. So I administer them separately and as approximate to his meal as is appropriate. The tincture might be easier to administer?

The tincture is the homeoepathic form. In the case of IBS it stimulates the nerve endings in the stomach & intestines to secrete mucus.

Likewise it is medicinal in the treatment of sore throats, respiratory ailments, cystitis, inflammatory bladder & chest complaints including pleurisy, bronchitis & tuberculosis. In fact, homeoepathically, it stimulates all the tissues in the body which secrete mucus.

The tincture is the homeoepathic form. In the case of IBS it stimulates the nerve endings in the stomach & intestines to secrete mucus.

Likewise it is medicinal in the treatment of sore throats, respiratory ailments, cystitis, inflammatory bladder & chest complaints including pleurisy, bronchitis & tuberculosis. In fact, homeoepathically, it stimulates all the tissues in the body which secrete mucus.

Ahh - now I understand, thank you :)

Thanks Trifecta.

A follow-up question though .... if the tincture works by stimulating the nerve endings in the stomach and intestines to produce and secrete mucus, would the result be poop with a mucus coating that the Vets general *diagnose* as colitis?

Hope this doesn't sound like a challenge question - just something I'm curious about. I used to drive my parents mad with "want-to-know" questions, lol.

Thanks Trifecta.

A follow-up question though .... if the tincture works by stimulating the nerve endings in the stomach and intestines to produce and secrete mucus, would the result be poop with a mucus coating that the Vets general *diagnose* as colitis?

Hope this doesn't sound like a challenge question - just something I'm curious about. I used to drive my parents mad with "want-to-know" questions, lol.

No, the faeces appear normal. I guess the mucus which is produced protects the bowel & it is able to work properly. As soon as the faeces are normal I would cease treatment, sometimes foals need only one or two doses. Don't ask me how it works..... I just know it does! :D