Low Cost Desexing And Working Ferrets In Canberra

Don't know of any. I don't think even the RSPCA does low income desexing (probably because everyone in Canberra is apparently on a public service salary). You're probably better off ringing around to get a price after some recommendations (of which mine is Hamish Cameron at West Queanbeyan; Malcolm at Tuggeranong Veterinary Hospital in Fadden is also good).

I don't know of any low cost desexing schemes here but you might try the local councils/dog pounds as I do think they give a reduction for those on centrelink benefits...

I will second the recommendation of Hamish at West Queanbeyan vets, the practice is awesome and Hamish is a wonderful vet...

I need to get my coolie boy desexed before he develops any bad habits and I'm over in Canberra for a bit, are there any low income schemes I could use? I also need to place my ferret, hopefully in a working home as he was a worker, does anyone have any ferreter numbers handy.

Help with your ferret can be obtained from the Ferret Society of Canberra. They have a 24 hr rescue service. Go to their website for further info: http://www.ferretclub.org.au/ or phone their rescue hotline on 0428 7466 20.

I haven't sorted my email on my tab yet so might call the NDN and see what they say. I'll contact the nearest pound when I get back to Canberra as well, I'm not a local so don't know all the pounds.

It won't slow you down much. There is only one Government pound in the ACT - Domestic Animal Services run it.

Queanbeyan has one too.

You could try vet Jan Spate in Hall for cheaper desexing. Her prices are known to be reasonably low (probably the lowest you will find in Canberra) and the first place most Canberra folks in the know will tell you to go if you want cheaper desexing. Note she is a vet you either love or hate. I have used her for horses, but not for dogs.

Edited by espinay2

I was going to suggest Jan Spate as well, I don't normally use her but have for an emergency once. She met me at the surgery at 1 am, put 14 stitches in my dogs shoulder, gave me antibiotics then charged me $120.00. :thumbsup: Emergency vet was 3 times that to walk in the door. I don't use her all the time as she doesn't do appointments and I often don't have the time to sit around.

Edited to add: Are you moving here Reverend Jo? If you need a hand just yell out. Coming to Canberra at the start of winter is brave.

Edited by BJ.

:rofl: or stupid....

it was almost a frost this am... almost.... if i had not put the window washer on and windscreen wipered... it would have frozen on the way down the drive with the cold air.. :eek:

If it means our slithery friends will head for their sleeping bags till spring, bring it on I say!!

Jan is probably the cheapest you'll find. Most of Canberra's vets don't like her, but she was brilliant with one of my elderly dogs years ago and she provides cheap service to a lot of people who couldn't afford the big clinics.

Is she allowed to do surgery?

Seems not - ... quite a shock - glad she is still there for people and animals, whatever constraints.

I didn't think the whinging would come to that - it had existed from early days about "the barefoot vet".

Sad.

Edited by PossumCorner

Is she allowed to do surgery?

Meaning what?

I know there was an attempt to limit what she could do, said to be based on her facilities. I don't know how it all turned out.

Edited by Diva