Papaw Cream On Broken Skin

Hi All,

Just wanted to get people's opinion.

I personally use Lucas' Papaw Ointment myself and found it to be a great product. I have also used it on my dogs when there has been a slight graze or to help promote hair growth. This is usually in a position where the dog cannot lick it off, e.g. tip of the ear or nose.

One of my dogs had an operation and the wound was healing but then she licks at the wound and breaks the skin slightly. I keep it bandaged or she wears a Novaguard collar to prevent her licking the wound.

The Lucas Papaw ointment says it can be used on open wounds. Has anyone ever used it on their dogs with an open wound or broken skin? Obviously, once I have applied it, I will need to wrap some light gauze bandaging to prevent her licking it off or rubbing the leg against the bedding to remove it.

Thanks in advance for your responses and feeback.

regards

KK Team

Actually that is all we use on us and the dogs, and it is really good on grazes, cuts, bites, I even use it on their itchy spots. I have used it on open wounds, and it won't hurt the dogs if they do lick it off. It is basically just fermented papaya. I have never used it on operation sites before as I prefer to let them heal naturally.

Thanks F11 and Marion 01.

The operation was a while ago and it was healing naturally, with the help of bandaging and the Novaguard collar. But just as the skin is growing, she will lick it and then the skin might break. This has happened twice now. I was just thinking of using the Papaw ointment to help the healing process along. I think once the skin has hardened and hair has grown over it, she can lick till her heart's content.

I know the papaya wont hurt her, but it's the incessant licking to get rid of it that causes the skin break, hence I though wrapping the wound to allow the ointment to work.

Thanks F11 and Marion 01.

The operation was a while ago and it was healing naturally, with the help of bandaging and the Novaguard collar. But just as the skin is growing, she will lick it and then the skin might break. This has happened twice now. I was just thinking of using the Papaw ointment to help the healing process along. I think once the skin has hardened and hair has grown over it, she can lick till her heart's content.

I know the papaya wont hurt her, but it's the incessant licking to get rid of it that causes the skin break, hence I though wrapping the wound to allow the ointment to work.

KK Team why do you think she feels the need to lick the area if it has been done a while. If she is licking and breaking the skin, is there a small infection under it all that is annoying her. If all is ok there, then I can't see that it would be a problem to put the ointment on and a bandage to see how it goes, but if it is still bothering her after that, I would be getting it checked out again.

Have you tried something like Iodine or Betadine? I use Iodine and dilute it myself as it is cheaper to buy it from an animal produce than the chemist.

Iodine will keep the wound clean and kill any infections. It will also dry it.

The licking is a concern on another front - the licking then can become a behavioural issue which can be harder to fix than the wound. Try to break this habit as soon as you can.

Concern about bandaging it: if bacteria gets in, it can take longer to heal. It is sometimes better to keep it open as much as possible to prevent the risk of secondary infection, unless there is risk of dirt etc getting in.

Mystiqueview, thanks for the alternative product. I have used betadine on my other dogs when they have grazed themselves. I usually spray just before a walk so they cant lick at it and it dries. It also hepls that they aren't lickers like the "problem child".....lol. When I am at home and with her, she doesn't lick. When I'm not around and the combination if it getting itchy as it heals, makes her lick.

Marion1, she licks when it starts to heal as I think it itches, just like us with scabs. She's one of the "determined" ones that has to get to the source of things......lol. I have regular check ups with the vet, and it's only when she licks, she causes some inflammation, which the vet then prescribes amoxyclav. It's healing up nicely with the combination of papaw cream and banadaging. There is white skin on the outer part and hair growing back, it's just the centre which is pinkish. The sore is not big, it's rhe size of a panadol tablet. She actually had a check up last night and vet is happy and said to her "don't lick and knock the sore".

Koe, yes, I have used on the nose as well. Darkens it back up. Papaw cream is wonderful.

Thanks to all who have provided feedback and suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.

Mystiqueview, thanks for the alternative product. I have used betadine on my other dogs when they have grazed themselves. I usually spray just before a walk so they cant lick at it and it dries. It also hepls that they aren't lickers like the "problem child".....lol. When I am at home and with her, she doesn't lick. When I'm not around and the combination if it getting itchy as it heals, makes her lick.

Marion1, she licks when it starts to heal as I think it itches, just like us with scabs. She's one of the "determined" ones that has to get to the source of things......lol. I have regular check ups with the vet, and it's only when she licks, she causes some inflammation, which the vet then prescribes amoxyclav. It's healing up nicely with the combination of papaw cream and banadaging. There is white skin on the outer part and hair growing back, it's just the centre which is pinkish. The sore is not big, it's rhe size of a panadol tablet. She actually had a check up last night and vet is happy and said to her "don't lick and knock the sore".

Koe, yes, I have used on the nose as well. Darkens it back up. Papaw cream is wonderful.

Thanks to all who have provided feedback and suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.

Lickers are problem children, but good to hear she is doing well then KK Team.