To People In Or Near Kaleen, Act: Secure Your Dogs

Ms Genki

We walk our dogs often and know quite a few regulars. One old fellow told us that he had lost his labrador about four weeks ago.

The painter left the gate open and the dog got out. Half an hour later, the owner received a call. A sixteen year old had stabbed his dog, in the throat, shoulders, back and legs. Presumably someone was kind enough to stay with the dog or get it to a vet. The owner went to the vet's and the dog had to be put to sleep due to the severity of his injuries.

I don't know the rest of the story and I don't want to know the rest of the story with regard to that teenager (given the legal status accorded to dogs and the fact that this apparent sicko is a minor). This poor old guy is now looking to adopt another lab that is similar to the one that he lost.

Please ensure that your dogs are secure in their yards- or the house when workpeople or visitors are around. I see a few roamers every now and again. :( Might carry around my mobile, a spare leash and treats in the event that I ever have to hold onto them and contact the owner.

Edited by Ms Genki

I wonder if this is the same boy who was recently arrested for other horrific attacks on Canberra dogs - at least four. Sure hope so, as that boy is now in custody and being psychiatrically assessed.

The time frame fits. Hopefully it is the same boy. would be scarey if there is another one.

That's really frightening. That poor man, I hope he finds a companion to help heal his pain.

Cruelty to animals by children is a well known precursor to more extreme behaviours/mental illness.

"Many mental health professionals working with children and juveniles either do not have the

training in psychological testing techniques, or sufficient diagnostic time to recognise significant

indicators of future serious violent offending. The research literature suggests the diagnosis of

conduct disorder (CD) can be a strong indicator of serious young adult violence. One component

of CD, cruelty to animals, would also appear to be a significant indicator or "red flag" in the

background of many serial killers and thus, it is suggested, in the history of perpetrators of other

forms of major interpersonal violence. Either concurrently with CD or as a major indicator of

antisocial behaviour in its own right, cruelty to animals deserves more attention from both a

research and assessment perspective." Paul Wilson and Gareth Norris, Bond University, Australia, 2002 ,Bond University ePublications@bond

(bold added)

Securing your dogs is not going to do much considering I believe this boy actually removed fence palings to coax dogs out of their yards (the case I know of was in Palmerston, but I guess Kaleen is just across the highway). I believe the accused is still in custody.

Securing your dogs is not going to do much considering I believe this boy actually removed fence palings to coax dogs out of their yards (the case I know of was in Palmerston, but I guess Kaleen is just across the highway). I believe the accused is still in custody.

Yes, he is and has been for over a month.

Edited by Haredown Whippets