When Will My Older Dog Except My Puppy?

Rcollies

I have had my 6 year old rough collie Lara since she was 6 months old and just recently bought a male rough collie zack at 4 months old.

When Lara first met zack in his environment she didn't take to him at all she was snapping at him when he'd get in her face and she even peed right out side his enclosure to show dominance.

Since we took them both home they are a lot better Lara hardly snaps and zack keeps his distance but since zack has been nipped a few times before when Lara try's to play with him he's scared now.

My question is when will my dog completely except zack and what signs can I look for as Lara no longer pees over zacks urine. Also wil zack eventually ago being scared of Lara?

Thank you to everyone who answers this :)

For the year prior to getting my new pup I introduced my now 8yr old dog to lots of friends puppies as we did obedience and agility trials, some he would not even look at others he was really playful with. this is a dog who has NEVER EVER tugged in his life or become reved up unless he was at home with one only favourite toy.

when I first brought my 9 week old pup home I left her in her crate and allowed him to sniff and check her out for a couple hours downstairs in neutral territory, then she went into the laundry which is inside house downstairs and a baby gate was up he went down a few times and checked her out while she screeched and howled in protest with being seperated from her litter. Next step was bring her upstairs in a play pen in one room of house closer again and he spent lots of time for next 2 days laying outside watching her. Day 3 they got together in yard she peed on grass he peed on top and then it was game on and she dominates him and the two have never looked back he is feircly protective of her if she whimpers he is there to check her out. Now their favourite past time is TUGGING and it makes me so happy to see them both having this game and he actually brings toys to her and encourages her to play.

Every dog is different and you will find yours will come to an agreement sooner or later and there may be the odd spat but that is just the way they work out who is going to be the Alpha dog in the pack. Lots of treats and pats and good dogs for good interaction and I also do lots of "trick" work with my older dog and also teach the now 4month old at same time, this seems to help as well.

It took my 1st Border Collie at 7.5 yrs 4 days to acknowledge my son's baby pup. After that she'd play with her. There must have been a few scraps because the pup had a few bald spots at times. After that they became the best of friends & used to play tug a lot.

Can't remember how long it took son's dog at 7.5 to accept my 2nd BC but they eventually became friends.

My BC at 4.5 took a lot longer to play with my Japanese Spitz pup. Even though the JS loved tugging on BC's tail she wouldn't tell him off & 7 mths on he still loves to tug on her, she does now play with him though.

We have had to watch son's now 11 y/o dog with the pup because she's always been a resource guarder & the pup soon learnt to stay away from her & she doesn't interact with him much.

I am just a tad surprised if thats the way she was when she met him that you brought him home?

Female's are generally more dominant anyway, but she may never be his friend, she didn't pick him.

She may learn to tolerate him, and he may then be more relaxed around her, but he is being cautious for a reason.