Kong Is Sticky

giraffez

I brought a kong not very long ago and recently its really sticky, no matter how much i clean it. Almost like the glue on sticky tape. My older kong which i have for 3 years does not have this problem at all.

I clean my kongs with just water. Any one else have issues with their kong going all sticky?

Both of my kongs are the red standard ones

Edited by giraffez

I have had something similar with the rubber handle on a garden nozzle (dogs use it like a chew toy) ... it was because the rubber was breaking down.

Can you take it back? I wouldn't continue using it ...

Sounds strange to me... do you have any sticky plants that maybe covered it in sap or something??

Nope. Anything that would have touched it is the concrete, grass, water, kibbles and lots of dog saliva!

I can't take it back because i threw out the packaging already and the receipt with it.

Edited by giraffez

Is it a genuine "Kong"? If it is, send an email to the Kong manufacturer, especially if the kong is not all that old. They are designed to last a good amount of time.

Yep, its the official KOng that has the packaging the the single treat hidden inside the packaging. It had Made in USA. I would never knowingly buy a imitation kong knowing full well of the consequences of choking and the kong not being as durable as it should.

There is no Kong Manufacturer in Sydney i don't think, I'll email the head office in USA to enquire. Thanks

I don't think its bateria slime, my older kong would be the same if it was. It does feel like the rubber is breaking down. Even if it was sitting in the store for a long time, it should not really become like this. The old kong has lasted several years and is still going.

Is it a genuine "Kong"? If it is, send an email to the Kong manufacturer, especially if the kong is not all that old. They are designed to last a good amount of time.

Yep. I had this happen to some puppy Kongs a few years ago (a total of 6 I think). I emailed the company and they sent out replacements.

Can't remember what the exact response after they tested the old ones but it was basically along the lines of the rubber breaking down. Detergents and hot/cold temperatures (freezing / washing in hot water) can cause it apparently.

I had a red kong that got like this after it was left outside for a day. The surface around the main opening started to rub off and it was leaving sticky red ring-marks around the place. It was about a year old though, so I just chucked it & bought a new one. Never had any trouble with the surface on the black ones.