Mock Trials

To be fair it's generally harder to distract a dog doing agility than obedience because doing the course is a reward in itself... I'm yet to get my dog to find a whole obedience routine rewarding (although she does like bits of it).

You can play discreet tug with your dog...I have done so with his lead (kills me to do it as they are pretty leads but you do what you gotta do!)

Its worth teaching your dog how to tug discreetly and how to quit immediately so you can get in the ring!

What is the problem - is it because they don't want to try other methods or they're against the use of tugs/balls (and dogs in drive) when training????

I've done the carpark thing with the tug too when I first started back at this particular club :o

To be fair it's generally harder to distract a dog doing agility than obedience because doing the course is a reward in itself... I'm yet to get my dog to find a whole obedience routine rewarding (although she does like bits of it).

Sorry, I missed this - as weird as it sounds there is something I've always loved about obedience and yet sadly it probably isn't that rewarding to my dog. Having said that, for my dog, the most rewarding part of obedience is the game during and after training. That's why I don't understand how people can enjoy obedience when they're plodding around the trial ring with both the handler and dog looking bored - even if they complete the trial without any mistakes - where's the fun in that :shrug:

My problem is Kenz doesn't tug quietly all the time but we have done the tug with the lead :rofl:, oh and when all else fails tug with the sleeve of my jumper :D.

Edited by ness