Advantix, Drontal, Valuheart.

we will be moving within the next fortnight to the coast from the country

and I have spent months trying to decide what to replace my use of Advocate

with so that Stevie is also covered for ticks. This research has been hard

but I think that I have finally decided that I'd like to use Advantix for the

fleas and ticks, Drontal as an All-wormer and a monthly tablet (valuheart) for

heartworm rahter then a yearly injection. was just curious to know what everyone

else uses.

P.S. I really wish Advocate catered to Ticks! :laugh:

we will be moving within the next fortnight to the coast from the country

and I have spent months trying to decide what to replace my use of Advocate

with so that Stevie is also covered for ticks. This research has been hard

but I think that I have finally decided that I'd like to use Advantix for the

fleas and ticks, Drontal as an All-wormer and a monthly tablet (valuheart) for

heartworm rahter then a yearly injection. was just curious to know what everyone

else uses.

P.S. I really wish Advocate catered to Ticks! :laugh:

Use Advocate and Advantix together. Perfectly safe to do and vet recommended.

Guest lavendergirl

What breed is Stevie? If he is a small breed do some research into the adverse effects reported of Advantix on small breed dogs.

What breed is Stevie? If he is a small breed do some research into the adverse effects reported of Advantix on small breed dogs.

Stevie is a Pug, what exactly would be different in using advantix instead of advocate in that regard? she has never had a problem with advocate?

Im on the mid north coast of NSW ("tick central"). I use advantix for fleas and ticks and interceptor for all worms. Just one less pill/chew to give really!

And yes, advocate and advantix CAN be used together - Bayer has given that advice to a customer of mine after she went through EVERY other chew and tablet on the market for worms (including a whole 6 pack of interceptor chews)

Stevie is a Pug, what exactly would be different in using advantix instead of advocate in that regard? she has never had a problem with advocate?

Advantix has an ingredient for the tick killing component that HAS caused issues in some small breeds. UNfortunately, you don't know until you try (maybe try a single or 3 pack before forking out for the bigger pack). Be armed with the knowledge that if your dog does react, just wash if off IMMEDIATELY.

It's not just little dogs either, my workmates 50kg rotti can't handle it either - goes mad scratching it off

Advantix has an ingredient for the tick killing component that HAS caused issues in some small breeds. UNfortunately, you don't know until you try (maybe try a single or 3 pack before forking out for the bigger pack). Be armed with the knowledge that if your dog does react, just wash if off IMMEDIATELY.

It's not just little dogs either, my workmates 50kg rotti can't handle it either - goes mad scratching it off

Less than 0.009% of dogs have reactions to Advantix.

IF you have used advocate with no problems it is HIGHLY unlikely your dog would react to Advantix. Yhe additive of Permethrin for Ticks is the additional ingredient in Advantix. The unique base ingredient of Imidicloprid is in Advocate, Advantage and Advantix. Advocate has the added ingredient of Moxidectin (for intestinal worms and heartworm).

The world's no 1 range of treatments ( the advantage family) has the lowest % of negative reactions registered with the relevant authorities and has the highest numbers of published testing procedures and results of all brands of parasite protections.

Advocate is the ONLY treatment that not only kills and evacuates all intestinal parasites of all life stages (Excluding tapeworm which you only get from fleas) But it PROTECTS your pets from getting any new infections or picking up new worms. No other wormer offers this. Advocate also treats external parasites and various mange mites and lice.

Advantix not only kills fleas ticks ect etc but it REPELS flies mosquitoes and all biting insects.

Also if anyone has a negative reaction to these or ANY products you should report it officially to the manufacturer to enable data to be logged and assessed.

I hope this helps

I've been researching this too and I decided not to treat with Advocate and Advantix simultaneously as I feel it's a huge overdose of flea prevention.

All spot-ons are recommended monthly for fleas and fortnightly for ticks. If you're applying a flea/tick treatment every 2 weeks, why add another flea treatment in the mix just because it's a womer too?

I'm quite happy using Drontal every 3 months and am switching to Heartgard rather than renewing my dogs' heartworm injection.

I was contemplating Advocate for a while as I worry about ear mites and mange with Kirah (my last Aussie had a bad case of ear mites and mange), but living in a high paralysis tick zone, I worry about that more.

Thanks for all the replies, It's got me thinking is there something that just caters to ticks?

I too dont think its a good idea to over medicate in regards to the fleas, but if I could keep

using advocate and then use something just for ticks, I worry about ear mites with Stevie and

she has had demodectic mange in the past.

I've been researching this too and I decided not to treat with Advocate and Advantix simultaneously as I feel it's a huge overdose of flea prevention.

All spot-ons are recommended monthly for fleas and fortnightly for ticks. If you're applying a flea/tick treatment every 2 weeks, why add another flea treatment in the mix just because it's a womer too?

I agree that it seems like a huge amount of chemical to put on a dog. That's why I was surprised when Bayer said it was safe! I would never normally recommend it, but this one customer was basically being told by her husband to get rid of this troublesome dog (it wont eat normal food either, probably because she cooks it human food but thats another story) and she needed SOMETHING to kill ticks and worm him that wasn't a tablet.

I would use interceptor + advantix if you want full coverage (heartworm, intestinal worms, fleas, ticks)

However, I personally choose to use advantix + monthly heartguard. I do not use an intestinal wormer regularly.

I believe heartguard plus also covers hookworms and roundworms, so that could be another option. None of these cover tapeworms, you would need to use droncit if you wanted tapeworm coverage.