Choosing A Breed

I would strongly recommend that only very very experienced and committed dog owners even consider getting a Tibetan Mastiff. They are regal and beautiful dogs that should never have left their own country.

And please please do not be fooled into getting one just because the breeder has a fancy website and says that they health test and only breed dogs with good temperaments. Visit the breeder and the dogs more than once and in different situations/locations.

I could go on but it would take forever..

Oh and I don't know about other countries but some TMs here drool so don't think you'll automatically luck out on that.

If you are looking at giant breeds there are so many others that would be easier to train with less risk.

I'd like to add that my Basset Hound doesn't look intimidating.. but out of all the dogs I have owned she is the only one I can say without doubt would protect me at home or while out walking.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would strongly recommend that only very very experienced and committed dog owners even consider getting a Tibetan Mastiff. They are regal and beautiful dogs that should never have left their own country.

And please please do not be fooled into getting one just because the breeder has a fancy website and says that they health test and only breed dogs with good temperaments. Visit the breeder and the dogs more than once and in different situations/locations.

Oh and I don't know about other countries but some TMs here drool so don't think you'll automatically luck out on that.

If you are looking at giant breeds there are so many others that would be easier to train with less risk.

I'd like to add that my Basset Hound doesn't look intimidating.. but out of all the dogs I have owned she is the only one I can say without doubt would protect me at home or while out walking.

Ahh the thread that ended up with people thinking I wanted an attack dog because I was scared of the world!

After a bit of a reality check and some serious consideration of many facts, we decided on an Akita puppy. A higher trainability and not such a highly tuned guardian breed, as well as many other things. She has been the most wonderful pup and is just a perfect fit for us.

I was very proud on our last night of puppy school when the vet nurse, dog training lady with 30+ years experience said she has been amazed by Tikas behaviour over the weeks and it will be very special if she continues as she is. She said this because many Akitas that come through the clinic are more of the, hmmm perhaps 'typical' akita? That express some aggression and stubornness. I suppose this may be because many local akitas have come from one or two BYB who sell their akitas to anyone who will pay up! Regardless of if the person is prepared to train and work with the pup or not.

The praise came out of no where and I was so happy to hear we are doing the right things with her and are on the right track.

Very very happy with our gorgeous Tika :)

Ahh the thread that ended up with people thinking I wanted an attack dog because I was scared of the world!

After a bit of a reality check and some serious consideration of many facts, we decided on an Akita puppy. A higher trainability and not such a highly tuned guardian breed, as well as many other things. She has been the most wonderful pup and is just a perfect fit for us.

I was very proud on our last night of puppy school when the vet nurse, dog training lady with 30+ years experience said she has been amazed by Tikas behaviour over the weeks and it will be very special if she continues as she is. She said this because many Akitas that come through the clinic are more of the, hmmm perhaps 'typical' akita? That express some aggression and stubornness. I suppose this may be because many local akitas have come from one or two BYB who sell their akitas to anyone who will pay up! Regardless of if the person is prepared to train and work with the pup or not.

The praise came out of no where and I was so happy to hear we are doing the right things with her and are on the right track.

I met an Akita on the weekend... he was amazing, but I would assume training would need to be strict with an Akita? they seem very strong willed.

Oh for God's sake! Some of the advice people give is so inappropriate!

You should not even consider getting a dog who is protection trained. Leave that style of work to the armed forces and the police.

What you will be looking for, when the time is right, is a dark coloured dog with a nice stable temperament and largish in size. That is enough for most people to keep their distance (because they're not sure of the dog).

I think you need to think about the life you will have in coming years. Yes you will move house, be busy, have friends over, etc etc so you want a flexible dog, not one that is too protective

I would suggest a Deerhound. Big grey dogs, large enough to serve as a deterrent, but also very sweet natured and easy to share your life with.

They are huge though so you'd need to have support from parents etc for vet bills. Not cheap to feed compared to a small breed I would imagine.

I met an Akita on the weekend... he was amazing, but I would assume training would need to be strict with an Akita? they seem very strong willed.

More consistent than strict, although they could be considered the same thing maybe? Of course like any pup she pushes the boundries, but is always put back in her place with firm words. She is very loving and so adorable. Although she is fawn/red and white, she still has the black face and is developing a black overlay which has made her darker. I find her to be stubborn and refuse to listen when she has too much energy and/or becomes bored. These things are easily fixed if I am quick enough to identify the problem.

The only thing that has been an issue for me is teaching loose lead walking!! On the advice of the trainer I bought a gentle leader for Tika, although it has helped very much, she is more interested in getting ahead and exploring than she is in seeking the comfort of a loose lead. And yes, I am using the correct method when walking. Unfortunately Tika refuses to be lured to my side more than about 3 times at the start of a walk, then thats it. Regardless of the chicken or schmaccos on offer! The smells of nature are much more tempting. We are working on it though :)

Other than that, everything is going really well. I think it may be that we are a personality match? Another akita may have proved much tougher to get along with than Tika?

I hope I'm not talking too soon. Who knows what trials we will face when she becomes a teenager!

I have put a lot of work into her which of course would have contributed. I take her nearly everywhere with me (she can be left alone no worries, no stress) and am home with her most of the time. I think this has helped.

ETA: funny how you see things clearer once they're written down! I have to walk Tika when hungry. That should help :) :)

Edited by TikaAkita

Oh for God's sake! Some of the advice people give is so inappropriate!

You should not even consider getting a dog who is protection trained. Leave that style of work to the armed forces and the police.

What you will be looking for, when the time is right, is a dark coloured dog with a nice stable temperament and largish in size. That is enough for most people to keep their distance (because they're not sure of the dog).

I think you need to think about the life you will have in coming years. Yes you will move house, be busy, have friends over, etc etc so you want a flexible dog, not one that is too protective

I would suggest a Deerhound. Big grey dogs, large enough to serve as a deterrent, but also very sweet natured and easy to share your life with.

They are huge though so you'd need to have support from parents etc for vet bills. Not cheap to feed compared to a small breed I would imagine.

I never considered getting a protection trained dog, my dog handeling abilitys do not go that far or that serious! We are fortuante that in the event of a vet emergancy when we cannot cover costs, our parents would loan us money before they allowed our dog to suffer due to lack of funds. Not that we are doing badly in the first place. It certainly helps to know this though.

As for protection, Tika has become far too used to strangers (especially work men) being outside the fence and even in the yard on the odd occasion. This is because we live next to a property that is used for the inlaws business. Currently if someone strange comes in the yard she will just watch from wherever she is. I havent seen her reaction if I don't go out and talk to them. The workers also make an effort not to touch her through the fence or lean over it. Hopefully this helps a bit.

I do know that if we are ever attcked by a random 'object' in the yard, Tika will be on full alert. Just as she was with the tyre that OH put in the yard last week. She was extreamly suspicious and barked lots at it. I praised and encouraged this as I think its good behaviour for when something is unsual in the yard (afterwards I showed her it was okay and she got used to it)