Carting

Wasn't quite sure where to post this so apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section!

I have just purchased a cart to use on the odd fun day with my Leonberger.

The cart did not come with a harness so I was wondering if anyone on here has any contacts on where I can purchase one?

Required by 18th May.

I can get my partners Mum to put one together for me but would prefer a professional one so that I know weight is being carried evenly on the dog. Even though it's quite light and she won't be carrying it for very long.

The two bits of wood on the floor next to it are what connects to the cart and requires a suitable harness to attach to them.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Cart.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I do carting with my newfies

If you are interested in a similar harness I suggest this place

They are very helpfull and cheap....The dollar is great and the postage is not bad at all. I found purchased form the USA cheaper and it is quality stuff and they have a lot of experience. Mine are totally machine washable. I have two sets. I have had one set for about four years and it looks brand new, we do a lot of carting at Million paws and such events

If you need any help PM me, I will be glad to help

http://www.nordkyn.com/ I use the SIWASH CART HARNESS Look under harness

2815719820048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by newfsie

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help.

I looked around but couldn't get what I required in time and decided not to rush it. I'll look at purchasing the one you recommended Newfsie, looks like what I am after.

We put the cart behind the dog last week and she didn't really like it. She isn't a nervy dog but didn't like having something behind her. She kept wanting to turn around. I understand they can take some getting used to and training. Once we have the harness we'll work on it with her.

Any tips on how to commence training?

• 3 weeks later...

I start with milk bottles on the traces...initially empty and I slowly fill them, so they end up pulling 6kg. We do a lot of ground work...Obedience with saying left right and back-up. My dogs know left and right. We also do a lot of general obedience with our dogs, it all helps. Our dogs heel really well off lead and we do agility, so they send too. All of this helps in carting (and water rescue)

I also teach the dogs from behind..I walk behind them and teach them the same cues from behind them. And we drive the cart ourselves behind, beside and in front of them. this makes them very comfortable with it. This is best done before the harness even comes out. Just make them familiar and they will realize it does not harm. good time to use lots of rewards too.

We also train horse in harness (and under saddle) so we borrowed some of their training