Vaccination With C5 Or C6?

Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

My vet is recommending a C6 vaccination rather than a C5. I only want to do the minimum required by the boarding kennels which is a C5. What if any is the extra benefit in giving a C6 - I am not sure what it covers?

C6 includes leptospirosis which is a bacterial infection. I would stick with the minimum required, personally.. you can also get c7, but I wouldn't do any more than necessary. (And I'm sure there will be lots of replies about how much is 'necsesary' too.. :) )

C6 includes leptospirosis which is a bacterial infection. I would stick with the minimum required, personally.. you can also get c7, but I wouldn't do any more than necessary. (And I'm sure there will be lots of replies about how much is 'necsesary' too.. :) )

Thanks Alkhe, shows how often my dogs get vaccinated :laugh:

Can you even vaccinate against a bacteria?

Hmm, I think the issue is that there are different strains, and you can usually only vaccinate against some of them. Dogs can transmit leprospirosis to humans though, mainly through contact with urine or water or.. something. I can't actually remember though - but it's transmitted through water or infected water I think. And seems pretty rare from what I remember.

I'm not a vet or anything - I have half a science degree and a bunch of online reading under my belt :laugh:

There have been quite a few outbreaks of Lepto in central and northern Qld, so if this is where you are (just going by your state on your profile), I would discuss it further with your Vet and see if this is why it has been suggested.

Guest lavendergirl

Thanks - I am in Brisbane. I have heard about leptospirosis but thought it was more of an issue for country areas. Is it better to have the kennel cough vaccine administered nasally? Is this usually part of the C5 vaccination?

Thanks - I am in Brisbane. I have heard about leptospirosis but thought it was more of an issue for country areas. Is it better to have the kennel cough vaccine administered nasally? Is this usually part of the C5 vaccination?

Kennel Cough is part of C5 yep, both bacterial and viral. I'm not sure about the nasal vaccine though.

Lepto is usually found in country ares or where there is a rat population. Rats secrete it through their urine. Cows contract it through eating contaminated feed. It causes abortion storms in cows. It is passed through the cows urine to humans through inhalation of very fine droplets or through cuts on the skin. Causes problems with the liver and also quite bad sickness. I know because my brother is a dairy farmer and caught it from the cows. Made him extremely ill and if it had of lodged in the heart it would have killed him. He was admitted to hospital with temps of 41 degrees.

Not sure about transmission in dogs ect and its effact on dogs.

I have had dogs dogs with C5 in the past and they still got Kennel cough as there are many strains. I have never had a case of KC since changing to nasal form of vaccination. So I do C3 and nasal. I do the 3 year c3 and nasal yearly go KC

Lepto is usually vaccinated against if there is incidence of it in your geographical region - I don't think Brisbane is usually, however certain parts may be.

Lepto isn't a bacteria, it's a spirochaete, and yes you can vaccinate against it.

The bordatella (bacteria) vaccine can either be injected or in the nose. Depends on the type of vaccination used.

Ask your Vet, and do a little ring around to others inside and a bit outside of your locality, and ask if they've had incidence of Lepto brought to them and if so how many and how long ago. This will give you an idea as to whether it is something you need to vaccinate against.

I do the same down here in respect to incidence of heart worm - that, and a rough mental check on lowest temperatures inside any 2 week period. I take all of that into account and then I do the weighing up to form or perpetuate a decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Im am trying to find out onformation regarding Lepto as well, as i have 2 vets giving conflicting advice, the vet(who the breeder used) who originally vaccianted my pup at 8 weeks gave lepto and made note for me to get the booster done again at 12 weeks, but when i took my pup to my own vet at 12 weeks he said it is better to stretch it out to 16 weeks for the booser for both C3 and lepto, now my breeder's vet has said the original vaccine will be useless as the booster has to be done within 4-5 weeks of the 1st vaccine. So Im very confused, we live in Far Nth Qld so i dont want to put him at risk, my vet says to have it done now is overlaoding his system.....what to do , what to do.....