Putting It Out There......

Hi all,

I have come across a dear 8yr old pekingese I could probably give a home to with a little help.

The sweetie is in Orange RSPCA.

Getting down there (from Newcastle) & home again isn't the problem. What is possibly stopping me is a concern I have with bringing her straight home.

At the moment, I have three 13 yr olds here - 2 are going through trachea collapse & are on medication (1 has had a bout of pneumonia) & another has serious heart problems.

This is the issue: as I don't have a lot of experience with dogs coming from pounds (especially RSPCA), I am presuming she should be quarantined for a couple of weeks (she is vaccinated etc.). I live in a small suburban house with absolutely nowhere I could separate them. Can anyone advise me on this? The three unwell ones have always been vaccinated up until thier last due ones in the last 4 months as my vet has advised against doing it this time. Also, if definitely needed, is there anyone out there (either near Orange or even Sydney) that would be willing to help us out & foster/quarantine her for the necessary time frame? I would of course pay for all expenses & effort.

Secondly, what do others think about if I should bring another peke into my home anyway in regards to my 3 unwell babies & upsetting the balance? Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is best? I am in two minds as I know it will help a dear dog in need but I also don't want to cause issues with my existing furkids.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Esky, it does sound best not to take the 8 yr old straight into your home because of the medical issues of your 'oldies'.

I've got a cheek to suggest other rescues.....but if you get the Peke down from Orange, would one of the good small dog rescues in Sydney take her?

That would also give you the opportunity of later testing her out for fitting in with your Peke family or not.

Hi Mita :wave:

If I could get temporary foster care for her that would be ideal! It would enable her to be safe & hopefully quarantined & I would definitely want to adopt her given a few weeks to prepare here.

Will do whatever I can anyway - will keep working on it.

Thanks for your reply & advice - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Powerlegs :poke:

I have a holiday booked in a couple of weeks, otherwise would have helped out. I've always wanted to experience Peke, I remember a great character from All Creatures Great and Small that impressed me hugely when I was a child.

Hi Mita :wave:

If I could get temporary foster care for her that would be ideal! It would enable her to be safe & hopefully quarantined & I would definitely want to adopt her given a few weeks to prepare here.

Will do whatever I can anyway - will keep working on it.

Thanks for your reply & advice - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Hi, back, Esky. 8 yrs old is not old for a Peke (or a Tibbie). And they're usually such lovely dogs. I wonder if the RSPCA at Orange can give you any information about her....what her general health/condition appears to be & her nature (but she's likely feeling very stressed in a kennel situation).

I hope you're able to get some help from a rescue. It's win/win for them, they save the Peke but she's likely got a perfect peke home already waiting when her quarantine is up. And their foster-carer will get a Tricky Woo experience! :)

Powerlegs :poke:

I have a holiday booked in a couple of weeks, otherwise would have helped out. I've always wanted to experience Peke, I remember a great character from All Creatures Great and Small that impressed me hugely when I was a child.

dammit Katdogs :rofl:

Really wish I could.

I don't know that I would introduce another dog to into your home right now personally as it can upset the harmony in the home somewhat - I guess it depends on your dogs. Only you will know if they will be accepting of the new dog...and you will have to see what the personality of the new addition is like.

I introduced a new dog into our fold and while I do love him, I know that my older dog is not happy about it and I feel guilty for not allowing her to enjoy her golden years in peace. If I knew how it was going to be, I wouldn't do it again.

So lovely to have such kind offers of help...........it is very much appreciated.

I am still working on the details but will let everyone know how I get on ASAP.

To now have options where there were none a few days ago is such a relief.

Thank you so much.