Dog Maulings In Wa

MishB

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/news/13657221/heartbreak-after-dogs-mauling/

I read this acticle yesterday, its so sad.

Why hasnt the WA Dog Act been changed yet?

I am so angry that a dog that has attacked and caused a huge amount of damage to another dog previously is allowed to just go back to its owners, with no consequences. So it is then able to attack again, this time fatally.

I have had a very similar experience with a dog attacking my dog, it was allowed to go home, because it was a 'first offence' despite the fact it had dragged us across a busy road,had repeated its attack on my dog after being pulled off by a few men, then it tryed to smash its way through my front security door 6 times to get to my dog again.

It was not declared dangerous, or deemed to be a restricted breed (it was a mastiff/AB x) as the ranger told me they would have to do DNA tests to prove this.

Bloody WA rangers shit me sometimes! :swear:

Rant over.

I have heard (although this is second-hand info so I can't verify) that there was a dog near us that killed 2 small dogs in separate incidents after it kept escaping from its yard :( Hopefully something was done after the second incident, but I would've thought killing another dog would've warranted a stronger response after the first time.

Edit: it wasn't a bull breed either

Edited by Weasels

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/news/13657221/heartbreak-after-dogs-mauling/

I am so angry that a dog that has attacked and caused a huge amount of damage to another dog previously is allowed to just go back to its owners, with no consequences. So it is then able to attack again, this time fatally.

I have had a very similar experience with a dog attacking my dog, it was allowed to go home, because it was a 'first offence' despite the fact it had dragged us across a busy road,had repeated its attack on my dog after being pulled off by a few men, then it tryed to smash its way through my front security door 6 times to get to my dog again.

It was not declared dangerous, or deemed to be a restricted breed (it was a mastiff/AB x) as the ranger told me they would have to do DNA tests to prove this.

Rant over.

I don't think that a mastiff or an american bulldog is a restricted breed, so I am not sure how it could be deemed to be a restricted breed?

What is disgraceful is that the dog that attacked your dog wasn't declared dangerous! It doesn't matter if it is a first offence.

I don't believe that the act needs to be changed, just enforced. A friend had her dog attacked, the owner of the attacking dog paid the vet bills and the attacking dog was declared dangerous. And it was all done by the ranger and the dog hadn't attacked before.

What I would like to see though is rangers being paid to collect wandering dogs after hours and owners being fined for repeatedly letting their dogs roam :mad

Rant over.

I don't think that a mastiff or an american bulldog is a restricted breed, so I am not sure how it could be deemed to be a restricted breed?

What is disgraceful is that the dog that attacked your dog wasn't declared dangerous! It doesn't matter if it is a first offence.

I don't believe that the act needs to be changed, just enforced. A friend had her dog attacked, the owner of the attacking dog paid the vet bills and the attacking dog was declared dangerous. And it was all done by the ranger and the dog hadn't attacked before.

What I would like to see though is rangers being paid to collect wandering dogs after hours and owners being fined for repeatedly letting their dogs roam :mad

I was under the impression they were a restricted breed, I must be getting the bully breeds confused, I honestly dont know a lot about them, I used to like them but after what happened with that dog am scared of anything that remotely looks like them. Which I am trying to get past, as I know this was a really extreme instance. The dog actually jumped up and smashed its head against my security door 3 times, then went back across the road to its house, but then when I tryed to get out my door to get my dog to the vet it ran straight back over & repeated the head banging. Ive never seen anything like it before and hope to never see anything like it again.

In WA the owners of the other dog arent under any legal obligation to pay the vet bills, you have to take them to small claims court if they dont pay. The ranger told the other owners to pay our bill but they never did, & thats what we were told by the council when we inquired.

There needs to be more rangers employed in Joondalup thats for sure, we have 2!!

I was also told that the only way that they can pick up a dog that has attacked is if you phone them while it is attacking!! WTF 'wait, stop biting my arm/leg/pet, I have to call the ranger! Okay now you can go again' which is ridiculous.

I told them the fencing was inadequate, but the ranger said he had inspected it and it was fine. There were fence pailings missing & there ws a wheely bin put up against it!

They also should have declared the dog that attacked mine dangerous, they didnt, it got out & attacked someone elses dog again 6 wks later,(my hubby & neighbor stopped that attack thankfully) was impounded, they couldnt contact the owners so after 6 days they assessed it for rehoming :eek: it was deemed unsuitable and subsequently destroyed! I know this because I rang the ranger services avery day because I wanted to know if it was returned to the property again. I was too afraid to walk my dog if it was allowed home again. :mad

I am pretty sure that ranger resigned soon after.

Edited by MishB

i have rang up the ranger about roaming and menacing dogs before. Ranger asks did it bite anyone? answer "no". Ranger "well there is nothing i can do then".

It is in their job description to enforce the dog act which would include picking up stray animals but they dont seem to do their job.

I think the dog act could do with an overhaul as well, its 36 years old.

Edited by ncarter

i think having one of my dogs mauled would be one of my worst fears. I heard the guy who had his maltese X mauled on the radio and that sounded like a terrible story. The offending dogs owner wasnt even in sight when the attack happened so the owner went and found him and the guy with the 2 bullbreeds said something like 'well you should have gotten a bigger dog' and 'get over it mate'. But i dont know that i would waste time talking to the guy, instead of just taking the dog straight to the vet in that situation. They had a guy on radio from the city of vincent saying that you shouldnt get involved if your dog get attacked by another dog, but if your dog is getting ragdolled by 2 larger dogs what are you meant to do? just sit back and watch your dog die? I have no faith in my local council if rangers cant even be bothered to do something about roaming/aggressive dogs (until they actually bite someone).

Edited by ncarter

The rangers where we are a quite good at picking up dogs during working hours but after hours, nothing :mad

But I don't blame them, it is council policy. I have spoken to one of the councillors about it and unfortunately it isn't seen as a priority.

As for overhauling the Act, it would be of no use if they don't enforce it and considering they obviously don't now, what's going to change? The change needs to come from councils to get rangers to enforce what we have.

Needs to be more serious punishment, even if it's a "First offence" a Human doesn't get away with attacking another human just because it was a first offence, I cant walk over and punch some random person in the face cos they are bugging me then hope to get away with it.

And I'm sure if there was some sort of compounding fine system for dogs that escaped, roamed or attacked people would be taking more precautions to keep their dogs contained, on leash and trained! If the fine for your dogs "First Escape" was $250, second time $500, third time $1000 ... you'd soon be making sure your dog was secure wouldn't you. Then if they started adding things like, Dog Was caught Roaming for the First time $250, Dog Chased or Menaced someone while it was out Add another $150, Dog Bit or Killed another animal while it was out double it, etc etc. Serious fines and Serious enforcement's will work better then any other stupid BSL Laws.

Its so sad to hear about all these dogs that get out for the "first time" and the damage they do, I know if my dog somehow got out my order of concern would be - Him getting hit by a car, getting stolen, getting attacked by another animal or person = then getting picked up by the council!! It doesn't occur to me to think OMG my dog got out i hope HE doesn't bite someone! Surely people should have some indication that if their dog got out they would be dangerous? If they bark aggressively at the fences when people pass? Incidents in their own home? I dunno its a failing situation anyway you look at it and its so sad for these people and their innocent animals that seem to just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Its so sad to hear about all these dogs that get out for the "first time" and the damage they do, I know if my dog somehow got out my order of concern would be - Him getting hit by a car, getting stolen, getting attacked by another animal or person = then getting picked up by the council!! It doesn't occur to me to think OMG my dog got out i hope HE doesn't bite someone! Surely people should have some indication that if their dog got out they would be dangerous? If they bark aggressively at the fences when people pass? Incidents in their own home? I dunno its a failing situation anyway you look at it and its so sad for these people and their innocent animals that seem to just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One of my dogs puts on quite a show if a stranger comes to the door - but out in public she is a complete teddy bear and wouldn't harm a fly. My biggest worry would be her being hit by a car or attacked by another dog if she wandered onto someone else's property looking for help to get home. Oh - and she is a Rottie/Pittie cross... *grin*

Then again, all my neighbours know my dogs and that they are friendly - someone would bring them home pretty darned quickly if they got out - or keep them at their place until they could contact me to come get them.

T.