E Fence Inground

Hi all, We are the owners of a Lab puppy, we have fenced off a section of our yard for him to play in as we live on a large block of land, but are now considering the E fencing system for our boundaries which back onto national park, so when we are at home our dog can have more freedom but we can still have peice of mind that he cant wander too far. I was wondering if anyone else here uses this type of fencing, & is it ok for the dog? & is it effective....?? any advise or opionions would be appreciated - thanks Newbie.

are you talking about the type in which the dog wears a collar and gets a warning and then a zap if he goes past the boundary? Or are you referring to an actual electric fence?

we just yesterday installed a Ping fence along one boundary because the dog next door is always growling at our dogs and our female dog sometimes can't resist having a go back at her *groan*.

the section is about 18 metres that we fenced off. It cost us over $300 to do so and took my poor hubby four hours (with the right tools) to install! Although partly that's because we had to install it over concrete. So fencing off a really big area might be very pricey!

I do know that you have to use a set-up that is specifically designed for dogs (not livestock).

I bought the kit off these guys:

http://www.sureguard.com.au/dog_electric_fence.html

and they were very promt with shipping etc.

Biggest problem IMO about invisible fences is that they don't stop other animals coming onto your property. On another forum I am on someone's Doberman puppy got mauled by a pitty that came into their garden while the Dobe was out in the garden going to the toilet.

Thanks for the feedback, we have side fencing so are looking at securing approx 50 metres across the rear of our property. I will check out the sure guard. As this is for only when we are home, and we are not in a highly populated spot we wont have too many problems with other animals coming into our yard.Solar versions look like they are a little easier to install as well.....

I have the invisible e fence made by Innotek. Where the wire for the fence is on or in the ground, and the dog wears a collar, and receives a signal from the fence. I haven't used it for years, but it did work well. Once the dog was trained, it never crossed the line.

Can I ask what type you bought of Sureguard? We've decided to go with it, I now can't decide between the Innotek S2000/or petsafe PRF 3004w and then the Num'axes - canifugue. Would be great if anyone that had one of these brands or had tried them could say if there any good.Thanks Heaps.

Can I ask what type you bought of Sureguard? We've decided to go with it, I now can't decide between the Innotek S2000/or petsafe PRF 3004w and then the Num'axes - canifugue. Would be great if anyone that had one of these brands or had tried them could say if there any good.Thanks Heaps.

sorry not quite sure what you mean MontyMonster?

I just ticked some boxes about the length I needed, whether it was on the ground or not, and whether I wanted battery, solar, or mains supply. Everything was in the kit.

sorry not quite sure what you mean MontyMonster?

I just ticked some boxes about the length I needed, whether it was on the ground or not, and whether I wanted battery, solar, or mains supply. Everything was in the kit.

I noticed that website had sureguard and a brand called numaxes... but I gave them a call and they talked me through the best option - so im all sorted, except they recommend the dogs are over 6 months so might have to wait a few months as my boy is only 3 months old.

Hi Monty Monster - I have a brand new innotek here if your interested. I bought it at Christmas when Vulcan decided he was houdini (and I was panicking about him getting out) - but we managed to fix the fence and extinguish the behaviour before the innotek turned up so its totally unused.

I'm pretty sure its this one (but will check when I get home. PM me if your interested. http://petsafeaustralia.com.au/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/261/category/48/

Edited by Polgara's Shadow