What Do Behaviourists Do? Just Out Of Curiosity...

Hi,

This might be a bit of a strange question....sorry if it's in the wrong spot!

I have been wondering what being a dog/animal behaviourist actually involves....i.e. how they asses a dog, etc..

I know that some people on here are qualified for this and that others have used behaviourists services, so thought I might be able to get a better idea...

Thanks! :D

I had a behaviourists out to my place late last year. His assessment of my dog was fear and lack of confidence he came to this conclusion after yelling at him and yanking a lead :confused:

This is not what one expects from a good , respected behaviourist

...and what was this person's claim to fame ? Did they have their own business> were they recommended to you by satisfied customers> what did you find when you looked them up on the internet?

I have been working with a trainer who is also a behaviorist as my new dog Ziggy has a issue that needs addressing..

I thought he was submissive and trying to lick other dogs under the chin but this behaviour escalated to the point where a couple of dogs got stressed by what he was doing, so until it is sorted we don't do free running at the dog parks. He always picks the most unsure dog to do this to.

The behaviour said he is very submissive but he is also a bully, when the opportunity arises.

His recall also stopped and he wouldn't come at the park when I called. This is getting better but the other bullying is taking some time...

She took him for a walk, tested him by getting him to do certain things. She had a few of her dogs here and tested him with them. He made a bee line for an unsecure blue cattle dog and got right in his face...

It was totally amazing to watch and once she showed me how to deal with him it made a heaps of difference to his one on one meetings... Sadly I don't have the group thing sorted yet ut we are getting there.

Ziggy is a pound rescue and we got him last November when he was about 6 months old... So I sort of had to expect some issues as most dogs in the pound don't end up there because they are model doggy citizens.

I came across this this behaviourist via a rescue group who use him for dogs that come through there organisation. Not much info on them from the internet that I could find mostly just why they became a behaviourist. I haven't had much luck with finding a quality behaviorist who knows there stuff in my state and have been recommended to travel interstate. I hope to get the opportunity to see someone interstate at some stage soon but at the moment it's just not that possible with work.

I came across this this behaviourist via a rescue group who use him for dogs that come through there organisation. Not much info on them from the internet that I could find mostly just why they became a behaviourist. I haven't had much luck with finding a quality behaviorist who knows there stuff in my state and have been recommended to travel interstate. I hope to get the opportunity to see someone interstate at some stage soon but at the moment it's just not that possible with work.

There are two in Canberra that I would recommend. We have used both for our rescues and utilise their workshops for our foster carers. PM me if you want details.

A good behaviouralist is good both with dogs (all types) and with people. They can see and recognise (subtle) behaviours, and help owners to devise ways to improve - not training issues, but 'brain' issues. I tend to refer to it as 're-wiring' the brain. No where as simple as training!

For example, last year the behaviouralist (hereafter called Dog Shrink, easier to type), was telling a class mate to watch for that little left ear twitch - that was the only signal this particular dog gave that she was feeling uncertain and was about to lunge.

I was watching, and still couldn't see it :) - but that sort of ability is what makes a good dog shrink. So does experience with a lot of different types of dogs.

The easiest way to find a good dog shrink is to ask on here - like any industry there are a lot of very shonky people who are happy to take your cash - and with dogs, often the bad ones can cause a lot more damage.

Did that help?

There are two in Canberra that I would recommend. We have used both for our rescues and utilise their workshops for our foster carers. PM me if you want details.

The lady I use is very experienced and helps out the local ACT foster groups when asked to...

I will pm her details to you tomorrow as they are in the office.

It all depends.

To call yourself a qualified animal behaviorist, you must pass a degree in animal behaviour. Which has a small canine component, but includes all types of animals, and does not mean that a person knows how to modify dog behaviour at all.

Then you have veterinary behaviourists, that have a veterinary degree and a behaviour degree. But that doesn't mean that they know how to train a dog either. Although after ten years study you would hope that they might.

There is no qualification just in dog behaviour.

Then you have people that are not qualified, but have spent time doing training and instructing in dog clubs. They may do some self-guided learning and may have mentors.They can also call themself a trainer or behaviourist. And you have people that have learned to train dogs in police or military or somewhere.

Then you have courses like Delta, that teach only one particular style of training, but do offer a qualification as a dog trainer.

And that is why you cannot easily define a behaviourist.

Generally people call a behaviourist when they have a problem. The behaviourist will assess the dog by looking for its non-verbal reactions to certain situations and how its owner interacts with it.

Whether a dog can be managed, rehabilitated, or is beyond help often depends on the resources and abilities of the owner and the temperament of the dog. Assessing and training dogs is fairly straightforward. Training people in how to manage their dog can be a lot harder.

Usually if a dog has a behaviour fault, it cannot just be fixed. Instead the owner learns how to read their dog and manage it by keeping it out of those situations where trouble might happen. A behaviourist can also work out a plan aimed at increasing a dog's tolerance to things it might not like, as well as working out a customised training program. The result is a dog that stays out of trouble.

A good behaviourist is fantastic, but a bad one is useless or maybe even dangerous.

When I'm out working with clients and their dogs, it is an assessment of numerous things. The owners, the dog, the relationship between them, the home environment, the surrounding environment, amongst other things. During the assessment I'm generally asking questions, listening to answers and, as I'll be gaining some 'feel' and impression of the dog's temperament, I'll also be formulating some of the things that need changes, some of the things that need doing (e.g. strategies). Not all dogs can cope with the same strategies - some strategies are good for some dogs, but not others. But I also like to work with the dog to make sure the strategies suggested are able to be managed by the owner.

ChristineX is right - behaviour training is quite different to obedience training, although the two do often go well hand-in-hand. But the behavioural assessment and modification works at a deeper level than obedience generally does, even though the two can be somewhat connected. Behavioural modification goes to the more complex emotions of the dog. Mind you, that's not to say that obedience training such as training in drive doesn't do similar.

And yes - reading body language inclusive of facial and eye expression is what a behaviourist does .... signals that tell us ahead of time what's going on and what the dog is thinking, so to speak.

It all depends.

To call yourself a qualified animal behaviorist, you must pass a degree in animal behaviour. Which has a small canine component, but includes all types of animals, and does not mean that a person knows how to modify dog behaviour at all.

Then you have veterinary behaviourists, that have a veterinary degree and a behaviour degree. But that doesn't mean that they know how to train a dog either. Although after ten years study you would hope that they might.

There is no qualification just in dog behaviour.

Then you have people that are not qualified, but have spent time doing training and instructing in dog clubs. They may do some self-guided learning and may have mentors.They can also call themself a trainer or behaviourist. And you have people that have learned to train dogs in police or military or somewhere.

Then you have courses like Delta, that teach only one particular style of training, but do offer a qualification as a dog trainer.

And that is why you cannot easily define a behaviourist.

Generally people call a behaviourist when they have a problem. The behaviourist will assess the dog by looking for its non-verbal reactions to certain situations and how its owner interacts with it.

Whether a dog can be managed, rehabilitated, or is beyond help often depends on the resources and abilities of the owner and the temperament of the dog. Assessing and training dogs is fairly straightforward. Training people in how to manage their dog can be a lot harder.

Usually if a dog has a behaviour fault, it cannot just be fixed. Instead the owner learns how to read their dog and manage it by keeping it out of those situations where trouble might happen. A behaviourist can also work out a plan aimed at increasing a dog's tolerance to things it might not like, as well as working out a customised training program. The result is a dog that stays out of trouble.

A good behaviourist is fantastic, but a bad one is useless or maybe even dangerous.

Excellent post GM

Some of the best dog behaviourists I have ever met were that before there were official titles, and before there was an insistence of a piece of paper .

you must pass a degree in animal behaviour. Which has a small canine component, but includes all types of animals, and does not mean that a person knows how to modify dog behaviour at all.

this is very true.

yes, a degree like this provides the student with a great toolkit - BUT working with dogs, observing dogs,/adapting methods to suit individual situations , plus empathising /understanding/communicating well with PEOPLE is what is so important.It is the people who are the key. Family dynamics, communication styles, yes, and physical attributes all are so important in the dog /owner relationship and a dog's behaviour.

There are also all the other things which can have an effect on how a dog sees its world ....things in its environment- and if these are not taken as part of a whole, there may be no 'going forward' .

A person can have a head full of behavioural diagnoses and possible solutions - sadly, if they are an inefficient communicator ,a poor observer, and do not enjoy working with people.... they will also be a waste of money!

So, if I were to recommend - I would be working on clients' explanations of what has been provided, and whether this help has been useful in managing the problem . I would also look at techniques used by the professional , and I would try & ask others in the field their opinion .

Edited by persephone

I would like to know how you find others in the field to ask their opinion of a behaviourist

Me ?

I ask on D O L :D !!!!!

D O L has such a wide range of members , and they include trainers/behaviourists.

Not sure what I'd do if there was no D O L ... :p

Guess if D O L wasn't here, I would start by asking instructors at dog clubs etc..... and work on from there .

I certainly wouldn't just 'cold call' people, though.