How To Toilet Train An Older Dog (to Pee Inside On Training Pads)

Charlotte

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice please. I have an 8yo female Pug who has recently had a mast cell tumour removed. The surgery was successful and no further treatment is required, however due to the location of the tumour (near her vulva) I've noticed she needs to pee more often and has recently had a UTI which was treated with antibiotics.

We live in an apartment and I take her out three times a day to go to the toilet and in between she will hold on. As a puppy she used training pads but stopped using them when she was two and now if I leave them out, she won't use them. I hate the thought of her holding on if she needs to go while I'm at work so would like to train her to use the pads again, in addition to her three walks.

Any tips on how I can go about this?

Could you try a doggie loo instead?

She wouldn't use it, she will only go on real grass. I was hoping she'd use the pads again as she's used them in the past so they're not completely unfamiliar and she is a fussy little thing!

I did think about capturing some drops of her own urine and putting it on the pad to attract her to it. Would this work?

Is she trained to pee on command? If not, might be worth starting to do (same way you would with a puppy), so the next step can then be getting her to pee on command inside on the pads, or wherever you want her to go.

It will be a slow process, just as it is with a puppy, but consistency (and food rewards) will help you both along the way.

I have a pug who is prone to uti's as she likes to hold on all day, as we try to change her toilet habits (bit easier as she's young, not older) I've added apple cider vinegar to her meals, and also added cranberry powder just to help fight the uti's.