Advice On What Breed To Get

Sad story :laugh: My Mum has had to have their dog put down, it was not really her dog my sister had just dumped it there 4 years ago and never bothered with it since then :shrug: The dog had started going strange the last 2 years she suddenly attacked my dogs while on a vist to our place (never happened before and ended up really freaking my husbands dog out still working out reuslts of that!!) Mum has been walking her morning and night and has had a lot of trouble, dog was a cattledog cross that would lunge at passerbys and especially other dogs then whip around behind her pulling her ove. Mum has gone out of her way the last year to take her to obedience and private sessions with trainer (which had improved her but only at obedience not for normal walks) Tuesday night we had all been walking for about 30 mins just on the last 100 meters efore home when she suddnely turned on me (i was about 3 meters away) for no apparent reason and tried to attack me!! worst my 4 year old was right next to me and could have been hurt, she did the same thing to my sister wednesday so the decision was made:(

What I am after is a breed of dog i can reccomend for Mum.

NOT known for being aggressive

Trainable & intelligent

not too big

would enjoy flyball agility and obedience (which is why im asking in this forum)

Jen

A Shetland Sheepdog (with a Tibetan Spaniel for a pal!).

Or a Kelpie.

Or one of the wonderful rescue dogs who's already known to have a great temperament.

Edited by mita

Guest Tess32

I would also suggest a sheltie if she doesn't mind grooming - good at flyball, biddable, intelligent and loyal.

Nat

Im trying to explain her away from the border collies she loves ours, she has a medium size yard and she does walk morning and night i just worry the BC might be too much energy for her to handle.

the dog she had had been a RSPCA dog so she is resistant towards a rescue at this point.

the dog she had had been a RSPCA dog so she is resistant towards a rescue at this point.

Rescue dogs that are in foster homes are well and truely temp tested as they have been living in a home environment, sometimes with dogs/cats/kids.

:laugh: Well worth lookng into a dog from a Rescue group. Very Different to RSPCA or Pound environment.

Guest cloverfdch

I would suggest a rescue aswell :shrug:, but if your Mum is not too keen on the idea a Sheltie would be my next suggestion.

I am sorry about your Mums dog :laugh:.

ETA: Just going to PM you i may know of a dog who may need a home :rofl:.

Edited by cloverfdch

sas, unfortunately that dog is quite similar to the dog in question :laugh:

Tollersowned any resources i can look up on tollers? i have found a few websites But i want her to be very sure before she gets another dog LOL i can loan her my dogs for walking!!

are there any rescue groups in the Ballarat area?

Jen

Sas, that gorgeous dog you posted is my pick as one of the all-round nicest dogs up for adoption as the moment. He got a great review from his foster-carers. He's with Cordy's Rescue.

Sas, that gorgeous dog you posted is my pick as one of the all-round nicest dogs up for adoption as the moment. He got a great review from his foster-carers. He's with Cordy's Rescue.

hehehe he's in foster care with me :laugh:

I think he's a great dog but if he's similar to the dog who attacked I can understand the mother not feeling comfortable.

Guest terrieres extraordinaires

You haven't described how fit/agile your mum is (sorry to sound rude) as this has a great bearing on which breeds would be best. the 'working' breeds are some of the best for agility but usually require an enormous amount of mental and physical exercise. I compete with 2 terriers in agility so know they're a handful and generally very feisty! Papillons compete very successfully in agility and are considered the easiest of the toy breeds to train, with a friendly outgoing temperament. Shelties are also good but can be very timid. Aussie Shepherds resemble the Border Collie but are generally not nearly as 'hyper'.

What kind of breeds does she like?

she is pretty fit and mostly agile :confused: I just wasnt sure she should go with a border collie we have been lucky with ours but we put a hell of a lot of work into them. she walks them occasionally when their dog was just too much for her (swapped with my husband) and she loved how easy it was to walk with them and how obedient they were (my 5 year old can walk them) they mostly ignore any other dogs which was a huge relief for her instead of being dragged across the loose gravel or tripped as the dog lunged to attack a passing dog :laugh: It was a cattle dog cross she was just too strong when bent on getting at another dog. Mum could pull her up but on loose footing there was always the chance she might get off

She had improved in class until last week in obedience then just went off and went after a couple of dogs you could hear her across the park :)

Poor Mum is still in tears after all the stress the dog put her through she still had her sweet moments ... at home

so preferably smaller than border collie but not too small :laugh:

thanks Tollersowned :confused:

have rung the breeder she is 10 minutes down the road will go out and have a visit on sunday :(

so what is this about "the scream" do your dogs do it??

She said she had only ever heard a visiting stud dog do it and thought someone was being attacked??

thanks for everyones input :D it is good to hear from different people with different fav dogs :)

Jen